Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
vpogv Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
V
Well as luck would have it I sold my SVT on Wednesday and the guy is coming up this coming Wednesday to get it. Of course driving home on Wednesday night the trans started to make bad noises at anytime, at any speed unless completely stopped. Pretty sure it's the diff. based on what I can hear/see so it's gotta come out.

Now onto the request... if ANYBODY is bored and wants free beer and pizza this weekend, as in today (Friday) and Saturday let me know. I can drop it myself but not having done a contour trans. drop before I know it will take 3x as longer than if I had somebody next to me who's done it before.

I know this is a huge request but I know it doesn't hurt to ask.

99 Contour SVT needs a little lovin'
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Usually, a bad diff is not going to be driveable. You sure it's not something like an axle? Describe what types of sounds it's making.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
V
vpogv Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
V
Sounds like a bearing going bad but it's not a wheel bearing, the noise is coming from inside the transmission. I heard it a week or so ago while on a 90 degree left turn on the expressway and after that it stopped. Then on Wednesday it started after exiting the freeway and continued to make the noise whether I was in gear or out of gear, whether I was pressing the brakes or not. It only stopped when the car was stopped.

Like I said I don't think it's a wheel bearing, but upon your comment I guess there is a chance it could be the axle. After searching I found this post.

But the noise/grinding is heard whenever the clutch is not depressed, upon pressing the clutch in the noise goes away. Both sides spin without any issue (even when at idle and up in the air). Upon that little insight, it could be the TOB as well.

A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by vpogv:
Sounds like a bearing going bad but it's not a wheel bearing, the noise is coming from inside the transmission. I heard it a week or so ago while on a 90 degree left turn on the expressway and after that it stopped. Then on Wednesday it started after exiting the freeway and continued to make the noise whether I was in gear or out of gear, whether I was pressing the brakes or not. It only stopped when the car was stopped.

Like I said I don't think it's a wheel bearing, but upon your comment I guess there is a chance it could be the axle. After searching I found this post.

But the noise/grinding is heard whenever the clutch is not depressed, upon pressing the clutch in the noise goes away. Both sides spin without any issue (even when at idle and up in the air). Upon that little insight, it could be the TOB as well.

sounds a hell of alot more like a TOB then a Diff. A Differential is either broken or working... I have never seen one show signs of "going out" In which case you mide as well just do a whole clutch job, be a good car salesman

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
V
vpogv Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
V
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:
sounds a hell of alot more like a TOB then a Diff.

I hope so. We'll see, right now I'm dealing with 2 tie-rod ends frozen into the hubs.

J
Flaming Biker Dude
Flaming Biker Dude
J
Frozen tie rod ends at the hub is easy. Put the nut on the tie rod end part way. Look at the hub....around the area where the tie rod goes into it there will be a boss cast into the hub. Find a BFH and smack that boss like you mean it. That boss is there for a reason.....use it.

People suck. Rev it till it MELTS.....
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:
Originally posted by vpogv:

sounds a hell of alot more like a TOB then a Diff. A Differential is either broken or working... I have never seen one show signs of "going out" In which case you mide as well just do a whole clutch job, be a good car salesman

Wrong. Differentials can gradually go out. Depends on the nature of the failure.

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I'm with 99SVT. I knew that mine was going out for quite some time. It was just a matter of waiting...

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
I'm willing to WATCH you guys work on it and learn a thing or two

98.5 T. Red Contour SVT Lowered on FSVT's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154233
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I've done this once before. It took me a month from start to finish. lol

But I know what I'm doing now. If it is really the trans and you really need it out asap I might be willing to help tomorrow night.

P.S. I pulled mine out the top with the motor, I've never pulled it out the bottom, I don't know what way you were planning on going.

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  WorldTour_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard