Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
I just calculated all the fuel I used from my last tank from top to bottom, and I averaged about 8.1L-8.3/100KM or 29 MPG. I hate to start a fuel efficiency thread again, but wow I am impressed. My engine just turned over 250,000KM or 155,550 miles and I thought I was going to see the end of my car soon, but I think thanks to Lucas oil stabilizer, and the many of you guys at CEG, this Duratec is holding out, that and regular maintenence and tire pressure as well as the fuel injector cleaner here and there and I'm still getting great numbers. I averaged about the same the past few tanks but I thought this time I should keep an official count. I do live in the suburbs but I commute frequently downtown and throughout high traffic areas to work and school. THe funny thing is I have the A/C on, I have the window open a lot (before A/C was fixed earlier this week as well as I think I gained 5 or 6lbs (gym, LOL). I mean that astonishes me, and I am so proud and happy to be a member of this board.

I've done a lot of aesthetic work and I've just started to now do maintenence and performance work and I can say safely, ever since I've joined this board I've been happier and happier driving my Mystique everywhere. Hell I'll even pop my hood in parking lots to show how a clean engine shoud look with a chromed out Intake manifold. People ask me how did I do my grill, I say two words "Home depot." God I love it. Just thought i'd share this with the CEG community that the Duratecs in our cars are great efficient and mobile engines and to anyone who has one of these, hold onto it as long as you can, especially if you're considering buying a 4 banger just to save a few bucks at the pump, this car is still great on gas giving your money's worth.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
wow! Do you ever get it up over 3,000 rpm? I get only 17-20mpg, but I blame my right foot mod for that.

morbid 2000 Contour SVT (black)
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
ya quite a bit, especially on on-ramps and passing those [censored] chanel [censored] with 'daddy's escalade' and their sunglasses to make their demented faces look better. Funny thing is when going about 120KM/H (I think maybe 70-75 MPH) My rpm is around 2500-2600 which is strange. Maybe it's a slight decline in the road? But I always try to keep an eye on my RPM in ratio to my speed just to keep a good measure on things i.e. tire pressure, road conditions, traction, and engine efficiency. Our MDX with that honda 3.5 is about 1600rpm going 60MPH so lol I guess the lower RPM with your speed means the less the engine has to work meaning less gas. I mean you see what I'm getting at. But yes, I think in my case more so maintaining a consistant speed with less slowdowns and stop/go driving style I'm able to maintain that number.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
2500-2600 rpm's at 70-75 mph? Sure about that? I am normally at almost exactly 3000 rmps at 70...and I average 28 mpg doing that after 181K miles....with a bad wheelbearing. Anyone want to change that for me?

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
I live in Canada so I'm going about 120 KM, I just guessed 70-75, lol I think the rpms realistically at 120 is about 2650-2800 maybe.

N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by morbid:
wow! Do you ever get it up over 3,000 rpm? I get only 17-20mpg, but I blame my right foot mod for that.

I have the same prob with my foot, but I still get better gas milage. 22-25 mpg for my SVT. And 24-27 on the old auto zetec.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Check his sig...it's an auto.That's why it has such low RPM's

2000 Silver SVT

Link Copied to Clipboard