Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
I been having a problem in my 98 SVT. When it is 1/2 o less fuel is much more noticiable. Idle is sometime rough and passing 3-4000 rpm it feels like you lift the thortle. a big loss of power. (not the secondaries, they are ok).
i am pretty sure that it is the fuel pump (i have made a search). Do you think only cleaning the filters in the fuel pump can fix this? ( i will try it when i have time).
I hope i can find here in mexico city the fuel pump replacement not the hole array.

98 contour SVT 02 Seat Toledo Trubo 07 BMW 335i turbo. on order.
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
I wouldn't bother cleaning it at the age of the car. I'd just get a fuel pump and swap it out following the how to. Just follow the how to for the returnless bump more or less. Ditch the screen disk at the bottom of the tank while you're in there. You're car has a return style pump so the connections are a little different. It should drop in w/o modification like people do for the returnless Focus SVT pump.

http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=39

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
S
OP Offline
S
Originally posted by todras:
I wouldn't bother cleaning it at the age of the car. I'd just get a fuel pump and swap it out following the how to. Just follow the how to for the returnless bump more or less. Ditch the screen disk at the bottom of the tank while you're in there. You're car has a return style pump so the connections are a little different. It should drop in w/o modification like people do for the returnless Focus SVT pump.

thanks for the rapid response.
sorry for my bad english.
what did you mean by "Ditch the screen disk at the bottom of the tank while you're in there."

i will start to search for the fuel pump.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by SVTmexico:
Originally posted by todras:

thanks for the rapid response.
sorry for my bad english.
what did you mean by "Ditch the screen disk at the bottom of the tank while you're in there."

i will start to search for the fuel pump.

Don't worry about "Ditch the screen disc at the bottom of the tank while in there". Your 98 is not built that way, only the late 99 and newer. What he ment was to throw away that part. But like I said, yours is not made that way.

I almost agree about changing the fuel pump, but CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER FIRST AND SEE IF THAT IS ALL THAT IS WRONG.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
P
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
P
ok I'm getting ready to change my fp on my 2000. Should I remove this screen? What is it's purpus?

"We are the people our parents warned us about" 2000 Ford Contour SE zetec 138000 miles 1 owner
Y
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Y
i believe as mentioned your car is a return style so the FSVT pump may not werk ! talk to Bill Jenkins @ teamfordparts.com !

if the disc-screen is there , GET RID OF IT !

i would think the fuel filter would affect the drivability despite what level of fuel your tank contained , but it's cheap , so maybe give it a shot !

good luck , let us know if you switch it out via the back seat & how that goes !

to disconnect the centre-lap belt there is a small hole in the clip that you need to insert a small allen-key & press on the mechanism to release !

the 0-ring is part # : XS2Z9276AA ( cheap @ teamford..... )

S
OP Offline
S
well finaly my fuel pump arrived (replacement pump)
i change it in aproximately 1 hour. it was tricky the part of takeing apart the old one to pute the new one.

but the new pump is making a strange noise(like a bee). you can hear it work. with my old pump i cant hear any nosie.

i take it for a ride and all is ok. only the nosie coming from the fuel pump.
does my new fuel pump is falulty? or can be normal.

thanks for your help

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Shouldn't sound any different.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
When I ran the focus pump for a short time (500 miles, swapped it out) it does make a different noise. Not a big deal. I reasoned it to be that the pump is "more powerful." Not sure if that's good reasoning or not, but you're not the only one hearing "the noise."

2000 Mystique LS Duratec 2.5L MTX
S
OP Offline
S
yesterday a friend say to me it could be thay the fuel pump may be was not fitted correctly.
Today i reinstalled it and the sound is gone! when i replace the fuel pump motor the first time i have to bend a little the casing in order to take out the old one. now i repair that and all is OK.

thanks.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard