Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
alaric Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you everyone for the help. I thought i'd provide an update.

I changed the cap and reset the computer by disconnecting the battery (next time i'll try the fuses). So far so good, no CEL, but i did't drive that far. I'll update again after some miles.

The cap now goes on a lot easier. I don't have to fight with it to get it on. I wonder if the old cap has an issue with heat. It started to become a pain last summer, subsided in the fall and became a real pain this summer.

It would wonderful if this new cap fixes the problem. Regardless, i will certainly attempt more repairs myself.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Good for you. Next time, tell the dealer to refer to this TSB 03-20-3 with the first line stating to check for a loose fuel cap first.

"MANY EVAP LEAKS ARE CAUSED BY A LOOSE OR FAULTY CAP"

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fulltext/show_article.php?tsb=03-20-3

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by LUCA:

FYI, you can go to AutoZone and have any codes read and erased for free.

Codes pulled yes, but not every store or person will reset them. Some have told me they aren't allowed to, others just did it without even asking!

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
This is just a follow up about my tight gas cap. In hot weather the cap would bind so severly that it was very hard to remove or install. Light grease on the threads didn't help much.

I finally replace the cap and that was all that was wrong. I was afraid that I may need to replace the filler neck, but I did not. The problem was fully resolved with a new cap.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Evaporative codes are becoming more and more prolific. Especially as the vehicle gets some age. Smoke tests seem to be the only real why to troubleshoot? Not by my experience but by talking to several service managers.
Might be a tool to look into cost of having to pay a dealer is getting so prohibitive while they troubleshoot such a time consuming system. Especially for those of us who try to keep vehicle longer. Alias tight wads
My daughter in-law has 2002 Caravan and I found a TSB where the Evap monitor program may be to sensitive. Dealer needs to reprogram PCM. For the .20 code which I believe is the smallest. New cap did not fix since the original physically came apart. Never seen that before. She was complaining the cap becoming harder and harder to remove so I lube the threaded area.
So now every few weeks I clear code while looking for possible other codes, check all the lines I can find. I see now why the dealers use smoke machines now.
It really be nice if the tubing was stainless steel,routing would be re-engineered, etc. and etc., if this system is so important that absolute integrity be maintained the bean counters need to comply, also? EH?
wonder what how the dealer tested? This wholesale changing out of parts ticks me off. Not cheap either.
I think our 98's only go down .40 not as sensitive as the newer stuff?
Paul

Good luck with yours!

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Big Jim any idea how long this site been around and who behind it?
Looks like I need to do some investigating, 2006 Ford CD shows p0442 as the smallest as .40 not .20 as Chyrsler???
I was under the assumption OBD-II codes the evaporative would be all the same as "genertic"? Nothing simple anymore Yeesh!
TNX
Paul

Last edited by F111D F; 09/03/06 07:45 PM.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Are you asking about this web site? The Contour Enthusiast Group?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
I think F111D F is asking about this one. www.OBD-codes.com

Originally posted by Big Jim:
A loose gas cap most certainly can cause this code. Follow this link:

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/generic/p0455-evaporative-emission-control-system-leak-detected-large.php

This explains why it was started.
http://www.obd-codes.com/about.php

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Thanks guys! Tony me and my forgetter could use your mind reading abiltity! Or we think alike and that's scary for you. Hi Hi TNX

Paul

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Tony2005:
I think F111D F is asking about this one. www.OBD-codes.com

Originally posted by Big Jim:
A loose gas cap most certainly can cause this code. Follow this link:

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/generic/p0455-evaporative-emission-control-system-leak-detected-large.php

This explains why it was started.
http://www.obd-codes.com/about.php

That was posted so long ago that I had forgotten about it. I found it on a google search. Now that I look back on Tony's comments I realize that it is probably worth bookmarking for future reference. It looks like on of the better OBD II sites.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard