Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
alaric Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I took my 98 2.5L contour to the dealer after seeing the check engine light.

I assumed it might be the gas cap. My wife didn't screw it on all the way and this gas cap has become extremely difficult to put on. I don't know if it is stripped or what but it takes me a good 5-10 minutes to get it on. Its a physical issue.

The dealer got a P0455 code told me the vent valve and i believe solenoid (i might be mistating this) had to be replaced at a cost of $950.

I asked him if a P0455 could be set off by a bad gas cap or a lack of seal there. He said P0455 has nothing to do with it, which contradicts what i've read here. He told me they couldn't even reset the CEL light.

I got home and checked out the gas cap. it was barely on (not my doing though i did tell them to check it). I've ordered a new gas cap and took my car but I'm wondering if i can trust this dealer.

I am also wondering if the thing the gas cap screws into can be replaced in case the new cap still has problems going in.

Thanks. Any help appreciated.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I just had that problem yesterday! I remembered my gas cap did not thread in right, and it must have set the code. I used some Vaseline on the cap and hole threads, after cleaning the dirt out of them first. Then I could tighten the cap properly. I might just get a new cap if it keeps being a pain. (If you Google search P0455, it shows that code is often caused by a loose cap.) The code did not reset itself when I fixed the cap, I had to use my (fairly cheap,at Advance Auto) Actron code scanner to reset the codes. So far, it is fine. The dealer could certainly reset the codes, it would come back if the cap is loose..

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
A loose gas cap most certainly can cause this code. Follow this link:

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/generic/p0455-evaporative-emission-control-system-leak-detected-large.php

Yes, the filler neck can be replaced if necessary (assumig that Ford has not discontinued the part.

I'm also experiencing a "tight" or hard to screw in gas cqp so please let us know if a new cap solves the problem or if you need the filler neck too.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
I have an extra cap if anyone needs it.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Vaseline , is a cheap solution. I think the cap warps or expands in hot weather. If a new cap solves the problem, I will change mine, too.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by alaric:
.... He told me they couldn't even reset the CEL light.

We reset CEL codes all day. Pull Fuses 4 and 11 (in the Power Distribution Box next to the battery) for a few minutes. Of course, if the cap is loose, it will come on again after a few drive cycles.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Same thing happened to my kid's car, P0455. The cause was an improperly tightened gas cap.
FYI, you can go to AutoZone and have any codes read and erased for free.

And, welcome to the CEG.

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Doesnt undoing the battery also reset the computer? I had a check engine light for a vacuum leak fixed it and had my dad just unplug both battery cables and hasnt come on since? Didnt know about the fuses. Guess that would have been easier. Well, I had to clean the positive battery post anyway. It was corroded.

Alicia 96 Contour LX 2.5L V6 Duratec Stock of course! BAD ASS GIRLS DRIVE BAD ASS CARS!!! http://www.cardomain.com/id/sweet_ride01
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by contour96:
Doesnt undoing the battery also reset the computer? ...

Yes, it does. But you also lose your preprogrammed radio stations and you have to reset the clock.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
yea i had to do that....it sucked But the fuse thing is kinda cool. I will have to remember that

Alicia 96 Contour LX 2.5L V6 Duratec Stock of course! BAD ASS GIRLS DRIVE BAD ASS CARS!!! http://www.cardomain.com/id/sweet_ride01
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard