Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
I know I've read this hundreds of times, wet sand this, polish that. Yes the outsides look sexy. Very clear, very shiny, thank you westanding. But I had an idea, the insides you can still tell they are just a little dusty or dirty. I had an idea, tell me what you guys think. I remove the headlamp, I stuff the high beam and turn signal hole so air doesn't escape. ANd use a steam cleaner through the low beam hole to blow high power steam to steam it clean. Now I understand steam will create moisture on clear plastic so my other solution would be to have a hair dryer blowing throw that same hole filling the light with hot air thus by drying any moisture within the lamp leaving it clean inside and out. Does anyone think that'll work? If not then I'll leave with it because I don't have a dremmel and I won't risk baking them (I tried it already at 300 degree Farenheit) But if you guys could chime in, maybe someone has done this already or something similar to another car, please let me know.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
Why not just get a can of compressed air for your computer or something. And why top the othe holes, wheres the dust going to escape to?

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Quote:

"If you have condensation inside the assemble there's a few ways to get the water out, so take your pick...

Alcohol - Use 100% rubbing alcohol, if you can find it at a drug store or Wal-Mart. Remove the assembles from the car. Next, remove the bulbs from the assembles. Now, pour about half the bottle of alcohol into the inside of the assy and work it around "GENTLY". Main reason I stress gently is because the chrome-like material inside the assembles can become brittle and you may loosen it up to where it comes off. It's not pretty, believe me! Then just drain as much out as you can and let it dry. This is quickesy way.

Heat - Remove the bulbs from the assembles. Park the car in an area where the headlights will recieve direct sunlight for an extended period of time. The heat generated by the sun will cause the condensation to vaporize again and removing the bulbs will give the vapor an easier way out. If you will not be able to park the car in direct sunlight, you can use a blow dryer all the same.

As for sealing them up so this doesn't happen again - Remove the headlights from the car. Go get yourself some black silicon or better yet, some clear flowable silicon. You can get either of them at Autozone or somewhere like that. Take the silicon and run it around the seam where the lens meets the case of the headlight. Next, use a number 20 Torx bit screwdriver and remove the 6 torx bits (three for each bulb) from the back of the assy. You can now remove a plate and underneath that you will find a gasket. Inspect this gasket, looking for any cracks or tears. If everything looks well, clean the gaskets and there mateing surfaces. This will give you some insureance when putting it all back together. Also, look closely for any cracks in the case of the headlight. Pay close attention to the bottom of the assembles. Put silicon anywhere you think you spot a crack. This is why I really like the flowable silicon, because it does not only seal the outside of the cracks, but actually gets down inside of it as well.

Then again, if you will be looking for reasons in the near future to visit your girlfiend, then I suggest skipping this last step.

Hope this helps ya out a little.

I just found this, have any of you had ANY success using this method? Or would my little theory work as well or no, what do you guys think? It's not really a condensation I would say, its more of a clouding inside which is pretty dry and I think even just the dryer heat may just help with that but hey, what do I know right :s

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by BK4293:
Why not just get a can of compressed air for your computer or something. And why top the othe holes, wheres the dust going to escape to?

Well no actually I was thinking of letting that dried moisture evaporate off the lense, then using hte dryer to dry the lense and make that clear. I mean I know I'm not really making any sense, but this is so I could just polish the plasitc from the inside.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by m4gician:
I mean I know I'm not really making any sense, but this is so I could just polish the plasitc from the inside.

Why would the inside need polishing?? It's not exposed to the outside elements really. Just a little dusting and it should be just fine.

A Contour is not just a car, it's an experience 99 T-Red SE Zetec ATX Born April 16, 1999 98 E0 Silver Frost CSVT #3175/3565 Born August 21st, 1997 Stored at P.R.T. for the winter 67 Mustang 289 project car
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
The headlights on my Jeep GC appear to have a film on the inside of the light. I've thought about stuffing a MF towel in there and wiping around (very gently) to remove the haze.

1999 Contour SVT #1966/2760, Silver Frost/Midnight Blue Koni Kit, Mille Miglia MM-S rims, B&M shifter, Stazi mesh, SFCs, optimized Y-pipe & TB, SS break lines, K&N drop-in, Infinity Kappa speakers, MTX amp/sub
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
so good or bad idea with the steam cleaner? Shoud I just use compressed air to get out any dust particles?

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard