Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bugzuki Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
My engine started knocking a month or so ago. This last weekend I made a trip down to Portland and grabbed a 2003 3.0L. I also just got off the phone with Bill ordering the gaskets and oil pan.

Stupid oil return problem My engine was still running sweet.

1998 Contour SVT Black w/ Blue interior Torsen LSD updated shiftforks Lightened Flywheel, HD Drivelines Optimized Thottle Body 2003 3.0L engine upgrade (Soon to be)
D
DDV Offline
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Bad, and good, news! Too bad about the 2.5, but good that you picked up a 3.0!

What kind of oil were you using in the 2.5?

Good luck on the install. Gimme a holler if you need some help.

Regards,
David

B
Bugzuki Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
I was using Mobil 1 Extended Life Synthetic. I think what I had in it was 15 - 30, that is what my wife picked up.

The problem was that I went a couple months without checking it, and my car burns a little oil.

DDV if you would like to help some (or anybody else) let me know and I will send you updates.
Paul

1998 Contour SVT Black w/ Blue interior Torsen LSD updated shiftforks Lightened Flywheel, HD Drivelines Optimized Thottle Body 2003 3.0L engine upgrade (Soon to be)
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Bugzuki:
DDV if you would like to help some (or anybody else) let me know and I will send you updates.
Paul

Im up for helping out/learning about the 3L swap. So let me know when you start.
-tropictour

2000 Contour SVT Tropic Green SHO Shop CAI Bassani 1999 Contour SE BAT Kit
B
Bugzuki Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Will Do.

R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
Hi all!

Ok...so I'm pretty sure my 2.5 is broke, again, (GDammit) replaced it once at 50,000. (check out my thread in the troubleshooting section)

Anyway, my question/s is/are:
1. Cost of a 3.0L and how/where do I get one?
2. Does the 3.0 have oil starvation/pickup issues?
3. Has anyone put a competely different engine/tranny is our car? (Like not a Ford, but a 6)

I live in B'ham btw and am trying to get my baby up and running again. I would be glad to deal with any aftermarket stereo issues/questions. (I open my car/boat stereo business in Nov)

1998 Black/Red SVT. Build #30. Born on 25 April, 1997 rainshdw08@yahoo.com www.sounddomain.com/id/rainshdw uhhhNewbie????...WHAT-EVER...long story
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by rainshdw:
Hi all!

Ok...so I'm pretty sure my 2.5 is broke, again, (GDammit) replaced it once at 50,000. (check out my thread in the troubleshooting section)

Anyway, my question/s is/are:
3. Has anyone put a competely different engine/tranny is our car? (Like not a Ford, but a 6)

I live in B'ham btw and am trying to get my baby up and running again. I would be glad to deal with any aftermarket stereo issues/questions. (I open my car/boat stereo business in Nov)

1. Usually you can get it done for less than $5k. And check car-part.com and it will show you a wreckingyard in or around your area that has one. Look for a 2003+ Escape, Taurus, Sable etc.
2. No
3. Not that I know of. Best thing is to just pull your MTX-75 and ship it to Terry Haines. He knows how to make them last.
-tropictour

B
Bugzuki Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by rainshdw:

(I open my car/boat stereo business in Nov)

I got my engine from Foster Auto Parts in Portland. It has 3000 miles on it. It cost 700 dollars. With a little more miles you can usually get them for 500 or so. They would have charged me 600 but I did not have a core exchange. Since you are in B'ham, I would try Gundies. They are usually on the high side, but they have better quality cars then most of the other places around. I would have called them next if Foster had not had the one I got.

The problem with the 2.5l engine oil is the oil return passages in the heads. This happend when they changed the head around from the 3.0. The 3.0 does not have this oil return/starvation problem due to the larger returns. I could be wrong on this but that is what I have gathered from reading the posts, and trying to piece it together.

I have not heard of anybody putting anything else in. What would you want to use? Maybe a Grand Prix Supercharged engine.

What kind of Car/Boat/sterio business are you starting?

R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
Mid to High End...I tired of hearing all this "car stereo is in a decline" crap. It's not. The corp I work for currently made $$$$$$$$ last year, and that's in my store alone. No one carries anything good/decent/badass anymore. No one cares about doing quality installs that look and sound awesome. (yes there 1 shop I can think of, but not anywhere close to me) But what I most tired of are all the car stereo places around here that treat thier customers like crap, or like they are dumb.

Plus....trying to see the future, the boat audio business is going to become HUGE shortly, imo.

Christian

1998 Black/Red SVT. Build #30. Born on 25 April, 1997 rainshdw08@yahoo.com www.sounddomain.com/id/rainshdw uhhhNewbie????...WHAT-EVER...long story
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
So not to get too far off topic, but what brands do you plan to carry?
-tropictour

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  kerrychin_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard