Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M

Amar bhai, just tell me how to and where to do these please. Is it as easy as tape off and paint? eBay maybe? Stolen off another car? of them or what? Anyone else know where to buy those tails?

Last edited by m4gician; 07/19/06 03:45 AM.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
i would guess they were custom made one-offs. hopefully they stay that way. i just dont see the appeal at all, in any way shape or form. afaik, no one has mass produced any kind of aftermarket taillight

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Nope, those are a certain year stockers where you sand off the red IIRC. skrilla187 has them too.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
m4gician, you ask so many Aesthetic questions. Some of it is so basic, and takes only a min of searching.

First off, what are you asking about? Do you want to know how he got the tails clear? Or how the reflector is body color?

The tails are Pre-98 tails, which have a clear lense under the red. Break away the red and clean up all the edge for the clear tails. The reflector is painted.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z
here
and then here too

They are pre-98 Mystique tails I believe.. Have a clear flutted piece under the red outer. If you want the clear, you break away/remove the red.. want the red(smooth and clear red).. vise versa
You can see it better in the pictures where the outer edge isn't painted white yet.

Originally posted by CSVT1214:
and takes only a min of searching.

yep.

Last edited by ZomzSVT; 07/19/06 04:15 AM.

98 Black Contour SVT #1273 Born the 23rd of June, 1997
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by ZomzSVT:
here
and then here too

They are pre-98 Mystique tails I believe.. Have a clear flutted piece under the red outer. If you want the clear, you break away/remove the red.. want the red(smooth and clear red).. vise versa
You can see it better in the pictures where the outer edge isn't painted white yet.

Originally posted by CSVT1214:
and takes only a min of searching.

yep.

Well good god...he found that pic in the post that links to the how-to! Do you really think we should be pointing him in the right direction when it's apparent he doesn't know how to use the tools already at his disposal??? He'll probably lose a finger trying to break the red out of the tail light. [/rant]

That being said, I think this is a mod that should be reserved for white cars. I don't think it looks that great on other colors. Personal opinion only.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Based on info i've pieced together myself and from others, all years of mystique tails have the clear lenses underneath.

You don't sand the red lense off, it needs to be cut off. I suppose you could "chip" it away, but cutting it is more controllable.

Making them clear is fairly simple, although you still need to be careful.

Getting the lights to still put out red light is more involved. I chose to retrofit round LED truck tail light modules.

Some other links:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=aesthetics&Number=926886&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/1003/amarv12/Clear%20tail%20project/

Like the other guys said searching for phrases like "clear tail" or "LED tails" will give more info.

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by amarv12:
Making them clear is fairly simple, although you still need to be careful.

Be sure to heed that warning, I wasted $75 because I wasn't careful... but then again, I began to like my stockies better.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I've already posted plenty of info about the distance between the two lenses!!! Be CAREFUL when cutting.

ANY TIME YOU MODIFY YOUR CAR THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT IT CAN GO WRONG!!!!! IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO BE CAREFUL AND USE YOUR BRAIN!!!

^
|
|
|
There, that's the warning. Either use your brain, take it to someone who knows what they're doing, or live with what you've got! Reality is that you're modifying parts to be used in a way that they were never intended to be used... but with enough effort and intelligence it can work quite well...i've had my tail lamps for almost 2 years now with almost no issues.

I made all of the info available from the beginning, if YOU take on a project, it's YOUR job to reasearch it and gather all the pertinent information. I've been more than helpful to all the people who pm me about various mods, and i always give them all the info! Don't blame me if you [censored] it up!

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z
This question may be stupid, I haven't had my tail lights out of the car for quite some time (since looking for leaks in my ex-leaky trunk) but I was wondering since you need to cut a hole in the back obviously to put the board with LED's inside, and also since the clear is inside and making them show red is much harder than breaking off the outside, could it be possible to bake/cut them similiar to the headlights and seperate the lenses from the housing, do the modifications to the lens and the insides, and seal them back up?

98 Black Contour SVT #1273 Born the 23rd of June, 1997
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard