Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva:
Well, mine went over 190,000 miles with very little wear on regular 5w30 dino Valvoline with 3,000 mile oil changes.

Undoubtedly. But think of the time, money, and waste oil you could have saved by following a more reasonable change interval.

Your way (Grandpa did it, and the corner quick-lube guys recommend it): 63 oil changes, 79 gallons of used oil, and assuming 30 minutes/change, almost 32 hours.

My way (factory recommended service interval): 38 oil changes, 48 gallons, and 19 hours, and likely with results just as good (assuming you don't actually need the severe duty maintenance schedule that you implemented.)

Switching to an extended-drain oil may or may not save you money, depending on how much you drive in a year. It's more expensive per oil change, but can save you money in the long run.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by m4gician:

I'm just going to put Wal-mart tech2000 5w20 in from now on. That combined with a Fram or K&N Filter.

I don't know anything about Wal-Mart oil. I might use it in my lawnmower in a pinch.

Fram filters are cheap but they suck. ($2-$3?)

K&N filters are expensive but they rock. ($10-$12)

Why not split the difference? Get a Motorcraft filter ($4-$5), which actually filters well for not much more than a Fram?

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
I
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by iso50:
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva:
Well, mine went over 190,000 miles with very little wear on regular 5w30 dino Valvoline with 3,000 mile oil changes.

That's all you got out of it, wow!

What are you trying to say? That's bad? I'm just going to put Wal-mart tech2000 5w20 in from now on. That combined with a Fram or K&N Filter.

What your doing, not the best. Fram are one of the worst filters out there, and I can't imagine Wal-Mart oil being very good.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by RogerB:

I'm just going to put Wal-mart tech2000 5w20 in from now on. That combined with a Fram or K&N Filter.

I don't know anything about Wal-Mart oil. I might use it in my lawnmower in a pinch.

Why not split the difference? Get a Motorcraft filter ($4-$5), which actually filters well for not much more than a Fram?

idk why everyone bashes fram. maybe they're the "worst filters out there", but for me it's a SERIOUS PITA to go somewhere that stocks something else. I have a walmart about a mile from my house, vs. 10+ miles to the nearest pepboys, and about as far/further to advance auto. I have 187 on the clock, and it seems like my motor's the only healthy thing on my car (well, that hasn't been replaced at least). if you do regular oil changes, I don't see any problem with using fram. it's given me no problems. I do use the high mileage one now, but it's still fram.

1995 SE 2.5L V6/MTX 187k
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by platinum_drew:
Originally posted by RogerB:

idk why everyone bashes fram. maybe they're the "worst filters out there", but for me it's a SERIOUS PITA to go somewhere that stocks something else. I have a walmart about a mile from my house, vs. 10+ miles to the nearest pepboys, and about as far/further to advance auto. I have 187 on the clock, and it seems like my motor's the only healthy thing on my car (well, that hasn't been replaced at least). if you do regular oil changes, I don't see any problem with using fram. it's given me no problems. I do use the high mileage one now, but it's still fram.

Not all Fram's are the same. I've heard that their higher end filters are OK. FWIW, my local Wal-Mart also carries Motorcraft, now, which is my personal preference. I also get the 5-Quart jugs of Mobil 1 there.

The low-end Frams appear to be poorly constructed internally. That's why get bashed.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by iso50:
What your doing, not the best. Fram are one of the worst filters out there, and I can't imagine Wal-Mart oil being very good.

I definitely agree about the Fram oil filters. Their oil filters are notoriously bad. However, other application filters by fram are fine.

Though, I do not agree w/your comment on Walmart's Supertech oil. I agree it is more than likely a cheap grade oil, however it does meet SAE standards. Furthermore, I believe it is made by Warren Distribution. I believe these guys also make Pennzoil. Anyways, if you use a good filter (Motorcraft/Puralator, and even K&N, though you probably wouldn't buy this filter and be using Supertech!), and change the oil rather frequently, it's fine. I did a little research before I started using this oil in my mom's car. We've been running it for a while. Though, I'm constantly switching, since I ran into a free 5 qts Max Life promotion not too long ago. All in all, the car works fine. (My mom drives a 98 SE tour, and she drives even more aggresively than I do!).

Furthermore, I've been using their ATX fluid in both my car and my mom's w/o any issues. Really cheap stuff in comparison to the name-brand. The only reoccuring problem w/Supertech dino oil from my research was that they are constantly changing their supplier. Older Supertech used to be QS. Anyways, it's not such a bad option if you're on a budget, and are willing to be persistant about your oil change regimen.

Last edited by ancientsanskrit; 07/25/06 06:36 PM.

99 Black Contour SE Sport
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
I thought the wal-mart oil was Tech2000? I was planning on buying these oils, tell me what you think

Tech2000 5w20 (wal-mart house brand)

Formula 1 with synthethic belnd 5w20 ($2 more but it's Canadian Tire house brand)

Castrol GTX 5w20 ($4 than wal-mart house brand)

QUaker State PEAK PERFORMANCE 5w20 (comes with a free oil filter by Quaker state).

Quaker state HIGHER MILEAGE FORMULA "specially formulated for higher mileage engines to prevent both viscosity and thermal breakdown"

Any ideas? Are any of those rated for more than the recommended 5000km (3000miles) interval? Is there a filter as durable and better

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I think Supertech and Tech2000 are the same thing. It's in the blue plastic bottles.

Dude, if you really need to save money at all costs, then get the 5qt jug of Tech2000 and another qt, should run about $9 with tax, plus a motorcraft filter, $4 w/tax. $13 out of the door/3k miles.

If you want more assurance, buy the next cheapest name-brand oil, Quaker STate. It'll be like $3/4 more/oil change interval=$17/change.

All of these are 3k intervals, more than 3k, is into the synthetics. For example, on my car I use M1= $25 oil + 4 Motorcraft filter + tax=$30/change. However, I change my oil every 6k miles. Hence, why a lot of people use synthetic, it's better for your engine (if younger-older engines can deteriorate crude holding seals in place, thus forming leaks), it's almost the same cost/oil ratio, and it involves less frequent changes, hence a win, win situation.
It doesn't seem logical at the store, but in the long-run as Roger pointed it out, it's pretty practical.

In regards, to your deals w/QS filters and whatnot, I believe most of those are Fram filters, so I would avoid that. You can always ask them to double-check, but most of the oil change guys aren't very reliable sources of info. Secondly, from my Canadian friends, I've heard CT isn't the most reliable source for car work in Canada.

Good luck man, whatever you decide. Hey, one thing, I checked your profile, and noticed your last name is Prakash. Are you Indian by chance?

99 Black Contour SE Sport
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by ancientsanskrit:
I think Supertech and Tech2000 are the same thing. It's in the blue plastic bottles.

Dude, if you really need to save money at all costs, then get the 5qt jug of Tech2000 and another qt, should run about $9 with tax, plus a motorcraft filter, $4 w/tax. $13 out of the door/3k miles.

If you want more assurance, buy the next cheapest name-brand oil, Quaker STate. It'll be like $3/4 more/oil change interval=$17/change.

All of these are 3k intervals, more than 3k, is into the synthetics. For example, on my car I use M1= $25 oil + 4 Motorcraft filter + tax=$30/change. However, I change my oil every 6k miles. Hence, why a lot of people use synthetic, it's better for your engine (if younger-older engines can deteriorate crude holding seals in place, thus forming leaks), it's almost the same cost/oil ratio, and it involves less frequent changes, hence a win, win situation.
It doesn't seem logical at the store, but in the long-run as Roger pointed it out, it's pretty practical.

In regards, to your deals w/QS filters and whatnot, I believe most of those are Fram filters, so I would avoid that. You can always ask them to double-check, but most of the oil change guys aren't very reliable sources of info. Secondly, from my Canadian friends, I've heard CT isn't the most reliable source for car work in Canada.

Good luck man, whatever you decide. Hey, one thing, I checked your profile, and noticed your last name is Prakash. Are you Indian by chance?

ji, jess jess I am

So your advice in the long run would be to pick up some Mobil1 5w20, with a K&N filter? ANd not worry about either for about 6k miles or 10k kms. ? If that's what makes sense, I'd go for it. Just trying to gauge what will be better for my car in the long run. I want this engine to be able to run well not just run. After having changed the tranny (why... ) and the Oil pan (mother fu****). Would I still benefit any from using Synthetic now at 250,000 KM ? If so I'll have that done for my next oil change, btw i'm changing the oil myself and the only thing I have to work out besides the exact oil and filter, is how to transport the old oil an d filter to a disposal site. And yes CT is a big overpriced and unreliable place for oil and things like that, I need someone there who has a discount or a Wal-mart discount or some discount place for car enthusiasts, it's just i'm not really plugged into those kind of things now since I just started making ceg my homepage.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
the older an engine gets, the more it should have a synthetic oil in it.

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard