Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
What I'm wondering is, I'd want to do my own oil change now but the thing that stops be is that it is actually cheaper to give my mechanic $20 cash to do the oil lube and filter. I mean the oil he puts in is just generic 5w30 and a generic filter but hey for $20 he does the labour. Now If I were to do it, I think I'd lose money. If i put in the higher mileage oil, I'm looking at about $18 plus another $4 for the extra 1L. On top of that I'm out about $4-7 for the oil filter which comes up to $26-$30. A net loss of $10 per oil change, I know it's counting pennies, but as a student and with rising tuitions I need the extra cash. Now generic oil (still meets standards) is asbout $10 + the filter which leaves me saving $5 every oil change, or in my driving scenario about $5 bucks every 2 months or $60 a year. What should I do? is there a recommendation you guys can make on this topic?

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Dino oil is fine if you plan to change it every 3K miles/3 months. If you have someone else change the oil, you MUST check the oil level and oil filter for leaks immediately after that. There have been too many instances of CEGers experiencing not enough oil being put in or leaks by the oil filter after an oil and filter change by "trusted" mechanics.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
ah no don't worry about that, I got the oil pan changed and a new gasket. Made sure, also had an oil change. Is there any BENEFIT to using Higher Mileage formula from Quakerstate, mobil or Castrol. I mean am I going to NOTICE ANYTHING in terms of power, performance, fuel economy (the big 3, although the first two are pretty much the same).

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
You misunderstood me. I meant, sometimes, they do not put enough oil and, sometimes, they do not tighten the oil filter enough (and it leaks there).

As for the higher mileage oil for performance and power, I'll let those who have more experience with those answer. I have a stock Duratec and have not used "high mileage" synthetic oil.

Ford changed the specs recently to 5W-20 for fuel economy improvement (how noticeable, I don't know). I stayed with 5W-30.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=v6maint&Number=1228688&Forum=v6maint&Words=5w-20&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=1228662&Search=true#Post1228688

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
my car has had nothing but mobil 1 in it since it was new....12 year and 180K miles ago. Compression is extreamly good in it still. I just got a leak in the oil pan gasket, but that isn't the oils fault. I did just switch to AmsOil, the good 25K mile or one year interval stuff. If you want to save money get that stuff. $5.35 a quart and get a filter that lasts 12K miles for another $10. Costs $45ish but then you don't have to worry too much for a year....besides doing the filter.

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
thank you for your help guys. About the 5w20, it only improves fuel economy maybe... 0.5% - 5% max. I use it in my MDX beacuse it's a requirement since 2001 to report BETTER fuel economy numbers, especially in V6s and in SUVs.

For the other point, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'd like to change the oil every 3000miles or 5000KM simply because that's how I've always been doing it . My dad's car has about 540,000KM on it, so about 325,000 miles on it and he does just the regular oil changes, and the other things that need to be changed over time. I'm trying to drive my car into the ground and have it as long as possible. Only reason I care so much is well this is my first car and I want it to last me a while.

Any hoo, there was a higher mileage dino oil I was thinking of trying, it's by Castrol. It's a 5w20, and as soon I've driven my 5k, im going to change that in. I'm definitely going ot

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by m4gician:
but I'd like to change the oil every 3000miles or 5000KM simply because that's how I've always been doing it

The absolute worst (but perhaps most often used) excuse for doing anything.

It sounds like you put quite a few miles on per year. The first thing you can do to save money is follow the manufacturer's recommended service interval of 5000 miles. In an 18k mile year, that's 3.6 oil changes vs 6, or a $48 savings/year if you have your mechanic do it.

It also sounds like you put enough miles on per year to benefit from the added protection and extended drain interval of Amsoil.

How many miles on your car?

Last edited by RogerB; 07/19/06 05:02 PM.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
uh lets see I just went over 250,000KM the other day so... about 150,000 miles. If you believe I'll benefit I will do it. In about Dec 03, I acquired my old mystique. So in about 20 months or so I've put on about 60,000 miles. Most of them highway obviously. So well here's what I'm going to do then, Higher mileage 5w20 with a high endurance oil filter, that sounds like a good economical investment. I'll get the durable oil that lasts as long as you say, about 5,000 miles.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by m4gician:
uh lets see I just went over 250,000KM the other day so... about 150,000 miles. If you believe I'll benefit I will do it. In about Dec 03, I acquired my old mystique. So in about 20 months or so I've put on about 60,000 miles. Most of them highway obviously. So well here's what I'm going to do then, Higher mileage 5w20 with a high endurance oil filter, that sounds like a good economical investment. I'll get the durable oil that lasts as long as you say, about 5,000 miles.

What I'm saying is this:

Open your mind. Then do some research. Then choose a solution that meets your goals which, if I read correctly, are 1) lower maintenance costs, and 2) get another 150k miles (or more) out of your engine.

I'm suggesting that based on your annual mileage, the Amsoil could represent a good value to you. The oil is designed to run 25,000 miles or one year between changes. You may have to change your filter after 6 months, I'm not sure. But rather than "generic oil" and "some generic filter" that might meet half of your requirements, an extended drain synthetic like Amsoil, with high quality oil and air filtration, can meet both of them.

And believe it or not, I'm not an "Amsoil rep." I'm not even a user. I put low miles on my car every year, so the 25,000 mile interval doesn't really pay off for me. So, I use Mobil 1 (another synthetic) every 5,000, and that's with what could be considered a severe duty cycle. I have the oil analysis to prove that my engine is protected just fine with this arrangement. However, that would not be the cheapest solution for you.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I'd be wary about using Amsoil for 1 whole year/25,000 miles.

In this oil life study Amsoil changed from 5w30 to 15w40 after 14,000 miles!! Mobil 1 lasted 18,000 miles with no viscosity change.

CSVT Feels Like Heaven Goes Like Hell Profile
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard