Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
rouar Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Kind of relevant to Contours as well, so the question is in General forum.

Does perforated leather breathe better than non-perforated leather? I tend to sweat a bit which has been uncomfortable in my new car (particularly these past few days!). I could upgrade to the Maxima 2001 Anniversary edition seats if the answer to this question is yes.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I really don't think you would notice a bit of difference.

2000 Silver Frost SVT # 1637/2150 D.O.B. 01/14/2000
R
rouar Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Darn .. I really don't want to downgrade to cloth again. I'll stick it out I suppose.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Nah, wouldn't be much of a difference. The leather itself is going to stick to you either way. They do sell things that you put under the leather in the seat, that has fans that draw heat away. Plus they have heaters built in for the winter.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
perforated leather wont make a difference unless you've actually got air conditioned seats. Most car seats are not real leather anyways,they are a vinyl material called naugahide which is more durable than real leather,but it'll be sticky when it gets hot,and slippery when wet. You might want to try leather seats with a suede insert,like the SRT8 seats.

Cloth is perfectly fine. I like leather for the more upscale luxury look, and it's easier to clean,but I don't like the maintenance and wear and tear it takes when they start to wrinkle and crack. Plus they get hot in the heat,and obviously cold in the cold. I had got a set of leather seats in my Mystique and they looked great,but I didn't really like them. I've had cloth in every other vehicle I've owned and wouldn't go back to leather. I've got cloth in my Contour right now,and I'm having my truck reupholstered in all suede.

'95 CGL ZMTX - DOB: 8/94 - Daily Driver - 271k & counting - Ractive muffler,MSD ignition coil,KEM 8mm wires,Pre98 SE 7 spoke rims,KVR CF brake pads,Post98 sail panels,Sony Xplod HU,Pioneer 3-way 6x9's '89 Mazda B2200 - Under Construction
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by MazTour:
Most car seats are not real leather anyways,they are a vinyl material called naugahide which is more durable than real leather . . .

Not true.

Most "leather" equipped cars say "leather seating surfaces", and that is indeed what they are. The surfaces that face the passenger are leather, but the edges are vinyl.

On the question of does perferated leather breath better than plain leather, it does, but many may not really notice much difference. Leather is not as hot (or cold) as vinyl though.

The climate controlled seats that are available in some high end cars are really nice. The leather is perferated to allow the air to pass through. The climate control is actually a little heat pump that can heat or cool.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Big Jim:

The climate controlled seats that are available in some high end cars are really nice. The leather is perferated to allow the air to pass through. The climate control is actually a little heat pump that can heat or cool.

they are not just in high end cars... most of golf jetta and even focus here come with it

1998.5 Toreador Red/Midnight Blue Contour SVT - #5912/6535 - DOB - 05/11/1998 - RU-3530/CTA Intake Pipe MSDS Heaser/Y-Pipe Magnaflow #10435 9mm Ford racing SPEC Stage one/Spec Alum. Flywheel HERE
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I'm thinking of installing one of those in my seat.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
R
rouar Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I have heated seats, but am never going to use them (not even last winter). Cooled seats would certainly be nice though. I should figure out if there's a floor duct like in the Contour and just reroute it to point at the seat, lol ...

D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
Turning the duct up probably will do nothing due to the thick foam pad in the seat itself.

On the leather, use Lexol every 6 months. It helps prevent drying and cracking. I have a 95 SE with leather and the drivers seat still looks real good. The other seats look like new. I have three kids and believe me, it's a lot easier wiping off leather than cleaning cloth!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard