Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I was at Canadian Tire today, and a Pioneer radio caught my eye. I thought it had a really modern and clean look, not like the tackey looking decks I usually see. It was the model DEH 1800.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069880_290976692,00.html

My first question is, dispite being the lowest in the heirarchy of Pioneer radios, am I going to see an improvment in sound quality over the stock radio?

I have already installed Pioneer 220W max. 6x9s in all the doors (a story in itself involving a dremel and lots of sparks and metal shards! ) and for what it's worth I guess it would be cool to have a matching pioneer deck for them.

All of my buddies tell me I'm a weirdo for not changing out the stock radio, but I like it for two reasons...
1.I like it's original appearance (most decks I've seen just look out of place, and don't 'match')
2.I'm not an Audio-freak, so the almost stock system really sounds fine to me. And yes is has the factory "premium" amp.

Anyway, to rationalize my decision here, I'm thinking of getting a simple 10" sub in the future (like next summer maybe), but am told that it is stupid without a custom deck.
Would this deck make a good foundation for a good sounding system, considering I already have some upgraded speakers?

Also, I really like the fact that this Pioneer DEH 1800 has green lights to match the rest of the Contour's interior at night. The display is blue however . I'm not shy to take it appart, but how easy would it be to make the display green too, if possible at all?

I'm not looking to win any sound competitions, and frankly just want the deck to look nice in the dash like an OE appearance. And also allow for some mild upgrades in the future.

Someone please set my boggled mind straight!

PS, YES, this is my first post in the audio forum

The relentless pursuit of unrealness ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 2000 SVT Contour -Toreador/Tan -Build #363 -121ooo miles -priceless
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
good reliable basic model... it will do the job fore sure... but i will have beging by changing the radio before the speaker

1998.5 Toreador Red/Midnight Blue Contour SVT - #5912/6535 - DOB - 05/11/1998 - RU-3530/CTA Intake Pipe MSDS Heaser/Y-Pipe Magnaflow #10435 9mm Ford racing SPEC Stage one/Spec Alum. Flywheel HERE
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
I disagree.

Changing the speakers will yield the MOST NOTICED improvement between the two.

You say that you aren't an "audio freak" and the almost stock system sounds good. I must say that I USED to be the same way. I didn't care about upgrading, as I had no need. I enjoyed my system. I thought "upgrading" meant tossing some subs in the car. I had already heard that, and didn't notice anything worth the money, as far as quality was concerned. I then heard the system that is in my car, now, and was a devoted audio freak.

The sound QUALITY is OUTSTANDING when you upgrade the components in the doors. nice quality speakers, a nice quality radio, and a small sub will yield great results for you. Don't fall in to the routine of thinking that you already have a good sounding system, so you shouldn't upgrade.

TAKE THE PLUNGE. You will NOT regret it. You can listen to any type of music and enjoy an increase in quality. Classical sounds natural, and present. crisp, clear and powerful lows, with tight highs and mids. R&B has more clarity in the words while maintaining the predominantly heavy beat. It doesn't matter...

you will LOVE it.

That unit will suffice for your needs. GET RID OF THE STOCK premium amp crap when you install an amp.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Cool, thanks for the input guys.

Ray, that really makes me feel good about getting the deck. I wasn't sure if I would get the sound quality gain, but I guess I just need someone to lay it out there for me.

I'm still aprehesnive about the blue lights on the display. I realize that the face plate is a pretty compact and intricate device, but could those LEDs be converted green without screwing it up?

BTW, Future Shop has a good deal on these for $90. hmmmm...I have the dough, I just don't know if I could put up with those blue lights. I'm probably the only person in the world who cares about that!

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10071350&catid=

The relentless pursuit of unrealness ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 2000 SVT Contour -Toreador/Tan -Build #363 -121ooo miles -priceless
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
i still prefer to put a most powerfull radio first than new more powerfull speaker that will have tendancy to distortion on bass cause of the lack of power.. everybody is different

1998.5 Toreador Red/Midnight Blue Contour SVT - #5912/6535 - DOB - 05/11/1998 - RU-3530/CTA Intake Pipe MSDS Heaser/Y-Pipe Magnaflow #10435 9mm Ford racing SPEC Stage one/Spec Alum. Flywheel HERE
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
if you paid more at CT just returned with the FS price to get a price beat.. but go before thursday night when the deal finish at FS

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Distortion isn't from LACK of power.

It is from clipping the signal. Attempting to OVER amplify the signal from a dirty, or underpowered amplifier.

If your new, upgraded speakers are getting distorted, you are maxing out your RADIO, not your speakers. the distortion is the signal OUT of the radio being clipped, not your speakers reaching their limits.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
I'd have to agree with Rays first post, you'll love a good sound system in your car. I was tempted about audio upgrades for awhile, so on my 18th birthday I decided to ask for a HU and speakers. I have to say, it was my best birthday gift and best move I made. After that, I bought an Amp and Subs to complete the transformation.

Now I have to admit, I have jensen HU and subs, but I love the look and the quality of the sound they make and I don't think I will switch them for a better brand, I just don't see the need to.

I think audio upgrades are the best you can do to the car, but I haven't expericed suspension upgrades yet, so we'll see. You will like the switch.

My ride(Cardomain link) : '95 Contour 16V Zetec DOHC, Teal , ATX Born on Sep. 4, 1995 86+ miles *LEDs mods are on their way!*
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Ray:
Distortion isn't from LACK of power.

It is from clipping the signal. Attempting to OVER amplify the signal from a dirty, or underpowered amplifier.

If your new, upgraded speakers are getting distorted, you are maxing out your RADIO, not your speakers. the distortion is the signal OUT of the radio being clipped, not your speakers reaching their limits.

its what i was saying... if the radio is less powerfull the radio will have to work more to achieve the same result so let say you got something like 80RMS speaker on the original deck it will reach is limit faster than a aftermarket deck

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S

The sound QUALITY is OUTSTANDING when you upgrade the components in the doors. nice quality speakers, a nice quality radio, and a small sub will yield great results for you.

It's even better still when you put the mids/tweets in the kicks and put 8" subs in the doors..

Don't fall in to the routine of thinking that you already have a good sounding system, so you shouldn't upgrade.

You mean I have to keep upgrading??

Bob Johann SoundQ SVT 1998 T-Red SVT Contour #3088 2001 IASCA Pro Street 1-600 Champion 2002 SLAP Pro Street 1-600 Champion 2002 MECA SQL Master Class Champion 2003 IASCA StreetX 1-600 Champion 2005 SLAP Expert Street Champion
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard