Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I'll defintiely post detailed info about my progress. I have a tendancy to document stuff anyway because of my crummy memory.

BTW, Hector, I found out that the ouput window and bolt pattern is VERY similar for the M90. I doubt that the nose drive would swap over though. Just a possible upgrade option...

BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
I'll defintiely post detailed info about my progress. I have a tendancy to document stuff anyway because of my crummy memory.

BTW, Hector, I found out that the ouput window and bolt pattern is VERY similar for the M90. I doubt that the nose drive would swap over though. Just a possible upgrade option...

BP

M62 should do you good for your daily driven ATX.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Oh yeah, I know. Just thinking about changing the big boost project from turbo to super. Exploring my options...

BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Grr anyone run past a deal like this let me know! I been looking for an affordable Jackson Racing charger for so long. Rawr. Mainly to see what it can do in a MTX ;-)

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Seawulf:
That's why I like turbo's cause you get all the boost down low, in my setup anyway, where the rods can handle the stress easier, but the JRSC only gives full boost up high where the stresses are much higher.

I don't know if that is quite accurate. I think the JRSCs & other screw type blowers provide full boost at relatively low RPM up to redline - Lower than a turbo from what I've read. So the issue is relatively moot in this case.

The centrifugal SC units have relatively linear boost curves by comparison, so maybe that is what you're thinking of...

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Every single JRSC dyno chart I've seen, the TQ is much lower than the HP. On a turbo car, the TQ is almost always higher. The Zetec isn't a good breather in the upper rpms, so in order to have such power gains in the upper rpms you need a FI method that keeps building up. A big turbo will do that as well, but so does the SC's.

Granted a SC is always making boost, but it won't make full boost til the redline. I get full boost at 2700rpms. My dad get's full boost at 2500rpms. A JRSC doesn't get full boost til past 5000rpms. That's why the TQ is lower, yet the HP keeps building.

2000 Rio Red I4 Cougar 200whp & 210wtq at 9psi 254whp & 276wtq with NX 35shot WRX TD04 Turbo, Cut Short Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, 17" ZN Wheels, Roush Springs, Starion Intercooler, NX 35 shot, HKS SS BOV, Full 3" exhaust,StreetFlight Chip
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Actually I'm toying with an idea to get around that limitation...

I'm going to split the manifold in half and plumb it to an intercooler. Once I have a way to cool down the hot air, I'm gonna throw the small pulley on. I'll connect a boost controller to the bypass valve and voila! Full boost at low rpms from a JRSC!!

I theory this isn't efficient because the JRSC draws more power the faster you spin it, but by using the bypass valve to limit boost at high RPMs, it will reduce the load.

I saw a Honda guy do this with a Rotrex supercharger. It was weird because as he would get into the higher rpms, you could hear a bunch of air venting limiting boost.

You also get the best of both worlds, no lag, controllable boost.

BTW, I know that the bypass valves operates on a vacuum. I'm just going to get a large vacuum resovoir and connect that between the bypass valve and the boost controller.

BP

L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
Actually I'm toying with an idea to get around that limitation...

I'm going to split the manifold in half and plumb it to an intercooler. Once I have a way to cool down the hot air, I'm gonna throw the small pulley on. I'll connect a boost controller to the bypass valve and voila! Full boost at low rpms from a JRSC!!

I theory this isn't efficient because the JRSC draws more power the faster you spin it, but by using the bypass valve to limit boost at high RPMs, it will reduce the load.

I saw a Honda guy do this with a Rotrex supercharger. It was weird because as he would get into the higher rpms, you could hear a bunch of air venting limiting boost.

You also get the best of both worlds, no lag, controllable boost.

BTW, I know that the bypass valves operates on a vacuum. I'm just going to get a large vacuum resovoir and connect that between the bypass valve and the boost controller.

BP

You get no lag......trust me.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Basically it depends on how much boost you push. If you push 10psi, you'll get around 5psi instantly, then it slowly builds to full boost.

2000 Rio Red I4 Cougar 200whp & 210wtq at 9psi 254whp & 276wtq with NX 35shot WRX TD04 Turbo, Cut Short Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, 17" ZN Wheels, Roush Springs, Starion Intercooler, NX 35 shot, HKS SS BOV, Full 3" exhaust,StreetFlight Chip
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Originally posted by Seawulf:
Basically it depends on how much boost you push. If you push 10psi, you'll get around 5psi instantly, then it slowly builds to full boost.

I hit 5psi instantly and was at full boost before 5000 rpms a 7-8 psi.....and stayed there until I let off the gas. Looking at old vids I took I never lost full boost....even between shifts on my ATX. Boost builds just as quick as my Evo....just not as much.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard