Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Look at what I just won on the FF for sale forums...

It's a Ford Focus SVT JRSC M62 Supercharger. I picked it up for $1300. Not bad considering new it goes for $3100.

I figure that this is a better route to go with my ATX anyway. I'll keep the turbo stuff for when I finally find a MTX Zetec for sale.

I've been checking out the specs on the M62. It flows a maximum of 440CFM at 14,000rpm. That should be good for about 300 crank horsepower.

Until I get a backup car, I'll probably be shooting for about 175WHP.

BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
good luck, after all of the mods hector pulled he only got abotu 160 whp.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
hector was running low boost too.... wasn't he only runing 5-7psi?

96' ATX Zetec- stock 96' ATX Zetec- Modded Kenwood KDC-319 5.75"-2 MTX 12's Roady XT Custom door panels Mystique Cluster/oil pressure Getting repainted(in primer) Pre98 Lip SE skirts Mystique front lip dingless badgeless
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
7-8 psi on the M45 blower.....not the M62.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Yeah, the M45 tops out at 320CFM at 14,000rpm. Or about 220 crank HP.

The M62 will flow an extra 120CFM which work out to an extra 83HP.

Hector, what crank and blower pulleys were you running to get your 6-8psi? I already have the ZXtuner crank UDP. I figure with a 2.6" blower pulley, the blower will hit 10,000rpms at redline. Or about 200-210 crank HP.

I'm also thinking about building my own custom water/methanol injection system.

BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Change the UDP to the regular stock crank pulley. You will run lower boost with that on. Trust me.

With the JRSC try to find a 3.0 pulley (the SVT JRSC comes with a 3.2) which is the stock pulley for the Zetec JRSC. That will get you 6-7 psi.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
I saw that post, some people where asking half of what the guy wanted. I thought to myself while viewing the fourm, "how cool would it be to put that on a Contour?" I guess I'll find out.

My ride(Cardomain link) : '95 Contour 16V Zetec DOHC, Teal , ATX Born on Sep. 4, 1995 86+ miles *LEDs mods are on their way!*
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Waht do you have to do to the internals of the silver top Zetec to get the power from it... Don't you have to change the lifters or something?

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
For now...nothing. The Focus guys run 200-225WHP every day on stock internals with the Powerworks M62 supercharger. Seawulf has done the following on stock internals on his turbocharged Zetec Cougar...

200whp & 210wtq at 9psi
254whp & 276wtq with NX 35shot

BP

A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Yes but the silvertop has Hydraulic lifters... the rest have mechanical right? I'm saying that the Hydraulic lifters can't handle more than a certain amount of power w/out changing them over to mechanical.

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
why not? my roommates GTP has hydrolic lifters and hes probably pushing close to 300hp if not more.

97 contour gl mtx front & rear upper strut tower braces 19mm bat sway bar Koni struts w/GC knockoffs
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Augi:
Yes but the silvertop has Hydraulic lifters... the rest have mechanical right? I'm saying that the Hydraulic lifters can't handle more than a certain amount of power w/out changing them over to mechanical.

what do lifters have to do with it's ability to make power?

96' ATX Zetec- stock 96' ATX Zetec- Modded Kenwood KDC-319 5.75"-2 MTX 12's Roady XT Custom door panels Mystique Cluster/oil pressure Getting repainted(in primer) Pre98 Lip SE skirts Mystique front lip dingless badgeless
D
d c Offline
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
will you be using the stock TB or going for a 65mm one?

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
In normal applications a bigger TB doesn't really do much. However, in the JRSC's a bigger TB does make big gains, so go with the biggest that fits.

2000 Rio Red I4 Cougar 200whp & 210wtq at 9psi 254whp & 276wtq with NX 35shot WRX TD04 Turbo, Cut Short Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, 17" ZN Wheels, Roush Springs, Starion Intercooler, NX 35 shot, HKS SS BOV, Full 3" exhaust,StreetFlight Chip
D
d c Offline
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
the throttle response is a lot better too

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by d c:
will you be using the stock TB or going for a 65mm one?

I already have a FC 65mm TB. It's just been sitting in a box. I keep forgetting to order a Focus throttle cable. BTW, I've also been toying with idea of using a 4.6L Mustang 70mm TB. It's the same one that Ford Racing uses on the FRPP intaks manifold. If you're gonna go big, why not REALLY big?

Originally posted by pre98zetec:

I'm wondering that too. If anything, the boost will help push the valves open. I'm not going over the stock rev limiter either. Is this some old school V8 myth?

BP

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:

Originally posted by pre98zetec:

I'm wondering that too. If anything, the boost will help push the valves open. I'm not going over the stock rev limiter either. Is this some old school V8 myth?

BP

The down side to hydraulic lifters;

Hydraulic lifters have a greater chance of floating at high RPM's and under high power applications ("valve floating"). The chances of floating goes up with wear on the lifters. this means that you have to back off the power a litle bit at high RPM's. Shouldn't be pushing the Zetec past 7K RPMs much anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'd suggest solid lifters if you're going big power and/or high RPM's.

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I wouldn't even push 7K rpms boosted. It's not just the valvetrain, it's the Rods. The stresses on stock rods, under boost, are approximately 30% more at 3000rpms, even with double the HP. At 6000rpms, though, the stress are multipled so it's not double the stress it's like tripled or more.

That's why I like turbo's cause you get all the boost down low, in my setup anyway, where the rods can handle the stress easier, but the JRSC only gives full boost up high where the stresses are much higher. On the upside, I hear it can be easier to tune a SC since the main power is in the upper RPMs so timing and fuel is easier to dial in right.

2000 Rio Red I4 Cougar 200whp & 210wtq at 9psi 254whp & 276wtq with NX 35shot WRX TD04 Turbo, Cut Short Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, 17" ZN Wheels, Roush Springs, Starion Intercooler, NX 35 shot, HKS SS BOV, Full 3" exhaust,StreetFlight Chip
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Meh.....hit 7000-7500 rpms a lot when I had my car.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Yeah, but you really didn't have any power.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Daaaaannng.

Yeah, the JRSC is going on my daily driver. I'm leaving the rev limiter set to stock. I do have a spare engine but I want to keep that for my big-boost turbo project.

BP

L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Originally posted by Seawulf:
Yeah, but you really didn't have any power.

So that is why I UPGRADED!

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Daaaaannng.

Thats gonna be sweet, considering the only s/c'd zetec atx contour has prolly been parted out by now have fun with it!! Can't wait to see it finished!!

A Contour is not just a car, it's an experience 99 T-Red SE Zetec ATX Born April 16, 1999 98 E0 Silver Frost CSVT #3175/3565 Born August 21st, 1997 Stored at P.R.T. for the winter 67 Mustang 289 project car
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Frosty:
Daaaaannng.

Thats gonna be sweet, considering the only s/c'd zetec atx contour has prolly been parted out by now have fun with it!! Can't wait to see it finished!!

Sweet project.

There was another member on here that had a JRSC installed on his Zetec ATX, but I think he was banned a while back. I think his name was Chris.

'98 Contour Pacific Green(Modded) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676416 FS:'98-00 Contour front bumper.Brand new unused (Non-SVT)
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
AFIAK, Hector's ATX Zetec was sold and is now gone. The guy that bought it used the name image4you2see on the CEG. He hasn't posted in 9 months.

There are a couple Mondeo's in the UK running M45 JRSCs. Both Percybigun and d c have one. I wish mine was going in a Mondeo.

There was a guy with the CEG name "zetectour" aka "ZetecChris" asking about stuff. But that was also months ago. I also checked and he has posted in 9 months.

Originally posted by Frosty:
Can't wait to see it finished!!

Yeah, even though I've been on the CEG 3-4 years, I've never been to a SE-WI G2G. It'll be cool to show up with something really unique.

BP

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Not too further burst your bubble either BP, but I think you'll have a harder time making this work than Hector had. The SVTF kit was engine specific and I've never heard of people buying one for the regular Zetec. Otherwise, nobody would have bought one of the regular zetec kits.

A Mustang magazine did a custom install on a Focus of the SVTF blower and had to fab up a whole new intake manifold for it. I fear you'll have a hard time doing the install.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
From what I've heard, the intake ports on the SVT are bigger and the bolts for the intake manifold are a little off. The Focus guys have to file out the holes on a SVT manifold to make it fit on a regular Zetec. These sound relatively minor. I'll know more when the supercharger gets delivered. (the pic above is from the sale on the focus forums)

If I have to port my head to make it work, no biggie. I'm already prepared for having to do some weird crap with the accessory drive. The Focus has a two-bolt style mount for the alternator and I think it's smaller. I also don't know if the idler bracket that they supply is going to work at all.

Oh yeah, the SVT Focus also doesn't have EGR. I think that why the normal Focus guys also stay away from it. That and the Powerworks supercharger is MUCH better. Intercooled M62.

It's going to be a fun weekend digging into all of this stuff.

...that's if it shows on Friday...crosses fingers...

BP

Last edited by ButtonPuncher; 07/18/06 10:49 PM.

K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Good luck with the install. If you can and don't mind, post pics of the progress, I love seeing that sort of stuff.

My ride(Cardomain link) : '95 Contour 16V Zetec DOHC, Teal , ATX Born on Sep. 4, 1995 86+ miles *LEDs mods are on their way!*
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
The EGR is a good point. Take lots of pics. This is a topic where the more detailed posts the better.

L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
I can't wait to see this.....like I have said before this was definitely in the plans when I had my car.

Good luck and if you need any help....just ask.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I'll defintiely post detailed info about my progress. I have a tendancy to document stuff anyway because of my crummy memory.

BTW, Hector, I found out that the ouput window and bolt pattern is VERY similar for the M90. I doubt that the nose drive would swap over though. Just a possible upgrade option...

BP

L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
I'll defintiely post detailed info about my progress. I have a tendancy to document stuff anyway because of my crummy memory.

BTW, Hector, I found out that the ouput window and bolt pattern is VERY similar for the M90. I doubt that the nose drive would swap over though. Just a possible upgrade option...

BP

M62 should do you good for your daily driven ATX.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Oh yeah, I know. Just thinking about changing the big boost project from turbo to super. Exploring my options...

BP

New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Grr anyone run past a deal like this let me know! I been looking for an affordable Jackson Racing charger for so long. Rawr. Mainly to see what it can do in a MTX ;-)

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
That's why I like turbo's cause you get all the boost down low, in my setup anyway, where the rods can handle the stress easier, but the JRSC only gives full boost up high where the stresses are much higher.

I don't know if that is quite accurate. I think the JRSCs & other screw type blowers provide full boost at relatively low RPM up to redline - Lower than a turbo from what I've read. So the issue is relatively moot in this case.

The centrifugal SC units have relatively linear boost curves by comparison, so maybe that is what you're thinking of...

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Every single JRSC dyno chart I've seen, the TQ is much lower than the HP. On a turbo car, the TQ is almost always higher. The Zetec isn't a good breather in the upper rpms, so in order to have such power gains in the upper rpms you need a FI method that keeps building up. A big turbo will do that as well, but so does the SC's.

Granted a SC is always making boost, but it won't make full boost til the redline. I get full boost at 2700rpms. My dad get's full boost at 2500rpms. A JRSC doesn't get full boost til past 5000rpms. That's why the TQ is lower, yet the HP keeps building.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Actually I'm toying with an idea to get around that limitation...

I'm going to split the manifold in half and plumb it to an intercooler. Once I have a way to cool down the hot air, I'm gonna throw the small pulley on. I'll connect a boost controller to the bypass valve and voila! Full boost at low rpms from a JRSC!!

I theory this isn't efficient because the JRSC draws more power the faster you spin it, but by using the bypass valve to limit boost at high RPMs, it will reduce the load.

I saw a Honda guy do this with a Rotrex supercharger. It was weird because as he would get into the higher rpms, you could hear a bunch of air venting limiting boost.

You also get the best of both worlds, no lag, controllable boost.

BTW, I know that the bypass valves operates on a vacuum. I'm just going to get a large vacuum resovoir and connect that between the bypass valve and the boost controller.

BP

L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Actually I'm toying with an idea to get around that limitation...

I'm going to split the manifold in half and plumb it to an intercooler. Once I have a way to cool down the hot air, I'm gonna throw the small pulley on. I'll connect a boost controller to the bypass valve and voila! Full boost at low rpms from a JRSC!!

I theory this isn't efficient because the JRSC draws more power the faster you spin it, but by using the bypass valve to limit boost at high RPMs, it will reduce the load.

I saw a Honda guy do this with a Rotrex supercharger. It was weird because as he would get into the higher rpms, you could hear a bunch of air venting limiting boost.

You also get the best of both worlds, no lag, controllable boost.

BTW, I know that the bypass valves operates on a vacuum. I'm just going to get a large vacuum resovoir and connect that between the bypass valve and the boost controller.

BP

You get no lag......trust me.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Basically it depends on how much boost you push. If you push 10psi, you'll get around 5psi instantly, then it slowly builds to full boost.

L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Basically it depends on how much boost you push. If you push 10psi, you'll get around 5psi instantly, then it slowly builds to full boost.

I hit 5psi instantly and was at full boost before 5000 rpms a 7-8 psi.....and stayed there until I let off the gas. Looking at old vids I took I never lost full boost....even between shifts on my ATX. Boost builds just as quick as my Evo....just not as much.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
That makes sense. Boost is just a function of how efficient the engine is. If I threw a 2.4" pulley on, I could probably hit 10psi almost instantly. But then it would explode.

Check out what new toys I just got from Northern Tool...

They had the 750# engine stand on sale for $41 and the 1500# hoist on sale for $90. What a deal!

BTW, the supercharger should be here on Monday. Oh yeah.

BP

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard