Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1610876 07/16/06 08:30 PM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by chemguru:
Phoenix Online

Phoenix is what a lot of military guys here do. That and there's University of Maryland or something.

It's kinda hard to go to a regular college when stationed abroad.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
#1610877 07/17/06 12:19 AM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I have been attending American Military University for almost a year, and for my lifestyle, its great. So far, my classes are 8 weeks long (You can also do 16 week courses), and you following the syllabus inregards to assignments etc. Most classes require an online discussion on topics for the week etc. Granted, its not the person, to person interaction you get in a 'real' college, but for today's lifestyle, a working adult can't really fit in 'real' college. IMO, it all depends on a few things if online college is for you 1)your current status in life 2)your current employment and future outlook 3)you schedule. I don't know where Fmr12b is getting its a complete joke. Hell, if that were the case, then people with X degree would be doing job X to coincide with their respect degrees. In today's world, a degree typically doesn't correspond to your job. It just shows that you are 'educated.'

Ryan Trollin!
#1610878 07/17/06 12:59 AM
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I just got a new job, but in my old job, I freqently attended job fairs with my direct manager and assisted him in giving 15 minute screenings to prospective employees. Had I come across someone with an online degree, I would most certainly have disregarded it. There are too many qualified applicants from accredited 4 years colleges to consider an e-degree applicant.

2005 Subaru Legacy | Ban Them Forever
#1610879 07/17/06 01:14 AM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by jerseycaĆ¢ā?¢Å”10:
I just got a new job, but in my old job, I freqently attended job fairs with my direct manager and assisted him in giving 15 minute screenings to prospective employees. Had I come across someone with an online degree, I would most certainly have disregarded it. There are too many qualified applicants from accredited 4 years colleges to consider an e-degree applicant.

Absolutely! I also do interviews for experiecned hires as well as fresh college grads, over 25 a year, and no-way is our firm recuriter going to allow someone with a online degree to get an interview. The education and experience is not viewed as high of quality as a brick & mortar school.

I have no doubt someone will hire you, but getting that big-time job of your dreams at a prestigious Fortune 1000 company............ keep dreaming....... 1 in a 1,000,000 I say!

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
#1610880 07/17/06 02:34 AM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Fmr12B:
and no-way is our firm recuriter going to allow someone with a online degree to get an interview. The education and experience is not viewed as high of quality as a brick & mortar school.

Pure arrogance. edit: on the recruiters part.

I was hired to replace a grad student who claimed he had "7 years of experience." What is said on paper means nothing. It is what they can do. My work exceeds his efficiency as well as creativity (the other half of my job)

The interview would establish the communication skills. Excerting confidence to the prospective employer is how I hook the job.

But who am I to talk, I am merely an Alumni with "just" an Associate. :shrugs:

Last edited by Pre98; 07/17/06 02:36 AM.
#1610881 07/17/06 03:03 AM
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by jerseycaĆ¢ā?¢Å”10:
There are too many qualified applicants from accredited 4 years colleges to consider an e-degree applicant.

Many online degree programs are accredited and are thru the same schools that you could get a B&M degree from.

Beaten - 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege 29K <- broken hearted Daily/Weekend Beater - 1990 miata 138K - AutoX every weekend = Adult driven on weekends
#1610882 07/17/06 03:18 AM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Pre98:

What Pre98 said is true. Hiring criterias should be based on knowledge, skills and abilities + intelligence. Higher GPA scores have a correlation to the intelligence of the person regardless of where he/she earns it.

Screening someone out based on where they earn their degree limits your pool of talent. Instead, you should hire someone based on those criterias mentioned above.

Here's why
-----------
Intelligence:
Teach an average person to do a task and he'll master it in a few months.
versus.
Teach an intelligent person to do a task and he'll master it in weeks. In addition to that, he may also come up with better method of doing the task instead of the method he was taught.

Knowledge, Skills & Ability vs. Experience:
Experience no longer holds that much value in today's world. Look at the world of sports today, younger newer athletes are just beating older opponents. The top two tennis players are Roger Federer (24yrs), Rafa Nadal (20yrs). They are beating more experienced players because of their skills and ability.

In my CIS undergrad program. There were constant challenges among students and professors. I still remember one challenge where we were told to write a program. The program that sorts the data fastest wins the challenge. Our professor has many years experience writing programs as he has been teaching for a while. However, a student actually won the challenge as he had the knowlege, skills and ability to write a more efficient program.

#1610883 07/17/06 03:58 AM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by Apu Nahasapeemapetil:

Knowledge, Skills & Ability vs. Experience:
Experience no longer holds that much value in today's world. Look at the world of sports today, younger newer athletes are just beating older opponents. The top two tennis players are Roger Federer (24yrs), Rafa Nadal (20yrs). They are beating more experienced players because of their skills and ability.

You have got to be kidding me, this is the worst example I have ever seen

They are beating more experienced players because of their fresh legs and youthful rebound from fatigue.......

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
#1610884 07/17/06 04:06 AM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Absolutely true.

However, all who meet the criteria of 100% task completion should be considered. A well rounded individual doesn't need to pay for group dynamics classes- and if one can perform their duties just as well without the degree, or from an online degree, why is it that is a disqualification?

I can understand experience- to get the better jobs, everyone has to have experience! It's the mandate of expensive education when one doesn't require it that concerns me.

#1610885 07/17/06 04:07 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Apu Nahasapeemapetil:
Originally posted by Pre98:

What Pre98 said is true. Hiring criterias should be based on knowledge, skills and abilities + intelligence. Higher GPA scores have a correlation to the intelligence of the person regardless of where he/she earns it.

Keyword there is "should".

Fact of the matter is that a given position will likely have dozens, if not hundreds, and in many cases thousands of applicants. The pool has to be limited to who will actually get in the door to be interviewed and that's gonna be done based on what is on that piece of paper not how intelligent of a person you come across as if given the chance to talk to the interviewer.

The best person for the job "should" be the one that gets it. Fact is that probably never happens. Whether it be because the "best person" who applied has an degree from University of Phoenix and never got an interview, because the "best person" has a degree from a brick & mortar but it wasn't as 'pretigious' as some other applicants and got shoved out of the pool, or something as trivial as the "best person" having some bad garlic breath that day and didn't even manage to get past the initial HR interview.

Stupid crap always pulls out better candidates. It's just the way it works. You'll do yourself a favor by avoiding one of those 'stupid' things and going to an actual brick and mortar school for your degree. Not because it's necessarily a better education, but because it's one less reason for your resume to never even get past some HR person tasked with reducing the 500 applicants down to a pool of 10 interviews.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard