Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1610886 07/17/06 04:17 AM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
It is that mentality that concerns me. The quickness to overlook inexpensive, youthful talent kills me. I am willing to do the work of a senior artist for less, just because I don't have things like mortgage payments and children to take care of.

The bottom line is efficiency and profit, no?

People who have paid for less expensive schools yet can show on paper they are just as capable as "High End" contenders- should get a shot. I don't know, the thought winds me up and gets me angry. Sorry FMR, your original post sort of struck a nerve, but nothing personal

#1610887 07/17/06 04:18 AM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I have seen the online programs that friends of mine are in and they simply are not up to the caliber of a traditional college. The programs and the courses seemed less academically rigorous than the ones I had, and you simply don't have the degree of interaction you do in a live environment. Non-course related personal growth also occurs to a greater degree when one is absorbed in the campus life.

Think of how much more interaction we have at meets than here online in a concentrated span of time. The same principles apply (directed to the purpose of education) with a real traditional college education.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
#1610888 07/17/06 04:20 AM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Of course. Again, I completely agree. The employer simply needs to see past the piece of paper- and maybe the otherwise "screened" candidate might actually be a better communicator than the brick and mortar, 4 yr candidate. Something along those lines I guess.

Last edited by Pre98; 07/17/06 04:22 AM.
#1610889 07/17/06 04:29 AM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I totally agree that in an ideal world, every candidate would get an interview, and the best person chosen regardless of formal education. However, in the real world, you're lucky if you get a real person even looking at your resume.

Choosing the applicants you interview and eventually hire is a major gamble by the company. History has shown them the odds of getting the right person (not necessarily the best in any rated category, but the best for them) is from those with a traditional degree.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
#1610890 07/17/06 04:34 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Quote:

It is that mentality that concerns me. The quickness to overlook inexpensive, youthful talent kills me. I am willing to do the work of a senior artist for less, just because I don't have things like mortgage payments and children to take care of.

It's not so much a "mentality" as a "necessary evil". What's the alternative? 500 interviews? In some cases, 10,000 interviews?

When I interview for a position I've only got time to interview, usually, about 5% of the applicants. And that'll still take 1 day a week for however many weeks it takes until I find a good candidate. That's a huge percentage of my time.

I have to dig through the resumes and choose the ones that I think will be the most-qualified for the position. I know that I'm bound to be wrong at least as I am right, but it has to be done. I at least tend to mix it up (I myself am one of the ones that probably wouldn't have gotten through the process normally, I just got interviewed by some weird stroke of luck), and for [censored] and giggles will usually pull one out of the 'toss-out' pile just to see how it goes. But even that is 'unfair' because it forces a 'qualified' candidate out of the running.

Someone's (a lot of someone's) gonna get screwed by not getting an interview, is it any more fair if it's you versus the guy from Harvard who I bumped to interview you?

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
#1610891 07/17/06 04:38 AM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by sigma:
Someone's (a lot of someone's) gonna get screwed by not getting an interview, is it any more fair if it's you versus the guy from Harvard who I bumped to interview you?

Well, that is a really good point. I suppose my situation was pure luck then.

#1610892 07/17/06 04:44 AM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Someone like sigma getting to go through the resumes is even not assured in many companies. They cut out the first swath of applicants electronically before a human even gets to make determinations. Again, it's not ideal, but it's frequently the only feasible way for companies to wade through the pile of potentially thousands of applicants.

#1610893 07/17/06 04:50 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I'd say luck plays the biggest role in a job search without a doubt. Unless you're applying for a job that few people are and the can interview everyone, it's always gonna come down to at least a little "luck" in whether you get in the interview pile or the circular file.

But there is of course more to a resume than your education. "Harvard" doesn't mean diddily if the rest of your resume sucks. There's something to be said (actually a LOT to be said) for a well-written, well-formatted resume that contains more about you and your relevant experience ("relevant" being the key word) than about what your GPA was. If your resume looks like it was created for my position and not something you just mass-broadcast on every remotely interesting position on Monster.com, I'm exponentially more likely to interview you if you're even remotely qualified. If you're willing to take the time to personalize a resume and show that you really want the position, I'm very willing to take some of my time to interview you if I can.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage 2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
#1610894 07/17/06 04:59 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva:
Someone like sigma getting to go through the resumes is even not assured in many companies. They cut out the first swath of applicants electronically before a human even gets to make determinations. Again, it's not ideal, but it's frequently the only feasible way for companies to wade through the pile of potentially thousands of applicants.

They do that at my company as well.

Usually about half will be cut by a computer, usually just a keyword type search. Another half will be cut by HR on initial interviews. So about 25% get to me and I'll take about 1 in 5 of those, so about 5% of the total pool gets to an interview. To my knowledge, none of those cuts are based on the education as long as it meets the minimum length requirements. And, actually, a larger-than-you'd-think percentage of those I choose to interview don't make it through background checks. Usually education-related stuff -- saying they have a degree when they don't or are actually just really close. Every position as at least 1 guy that can't get through a simple background check. And this isn't security stuff, we're just checking to make sure what they said matches reality.

Now, I can request that certain schools be filtered out. You wanna talk about unfair. Some people are so tired of "bad" hires from certain schools that they simply refuse to look at the schools those new hires came from. You can be discriminated against purely because your school had some bad graduates that my company happened to hire and quickly got rid of when they found they couldn't deliver.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
#1610895 07/17/06 05:10 AM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Believe me, I've been marred by the Anti-ITT fanclub My portfolio is what separates me from the rest.

When you say to write a resume that seems to be written for your (the interviewers) position- isn't that an excessive amount of information? I thought unless you have 5+ years experience, to not have anything longer than a page? Or do you mean simply formatting and keywords being "best" for the position?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard