Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1610695 07/15/06 08:12 AM
C
CSVT Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hey guys, my temperature gauge on my '98 SVT Contour stopped working. It went all the way over to the right(past the red off the scale) and hasn't moved in days. Does anyone know where the temperature sensor itself is located on the engine? Figured I'd start there and work my way up. Thanks

Chris Caselli '67 Mustang Fastback project car '98 SVT Contour daily driver
#1610696 07/15/06 06:25 PM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
First of all, you need to determine if the water pump or thermostat is broken. That is more serious than a broken temperature gauge.

Warm up the engine. Heater and blower on high, is it hot? Yes, most probably thermostat stuck on closed.

If it is warm, most probably broken water pump.

Here is a post from Chongo. It highlights the ECT sensor.

The coolant temp gauge sender is the bronze (??) looking thing below the "Co" from the word coolant. Is that what you are talking about as the sender unit. If it is then if you do it real fast, unscrew and then plug (and screw) in the new one right away, you probably can get away with not having to drain the cooling system (according to Haynes). Haynes suggest to release the pressure by removing the coolant tank cap and then reinstalling the cap back (when the engine and coolant is completely cool). Hope this helps.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=983852&Forum=trouble&Words=chongo&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=983239&Search=true#Post983852

Last edited by Tony2005; 07/15/06 06:27 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard