Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Free weights for the win. Id much rather use freeweights then go to a gym. 100 bucks gets you equipment you need forever

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
I worked out at Golds gym for awhile before I moved away and It was a pretty decent place. However, I had a chance to go there maybe 2 months ago and it had seen better days. The lighting was terrible and the equipment needed some up keep. I think you are going to be hard pressed to find a place any cheaper than 200-250 a year. I guess it really depends on how dedicated you are. If you know your going to hit and miss then go for the college gym. But, if your looking to train hard and have people around you that are dedicated to give you that extra drive I would spend the extra money.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
rule of thumb is if you want to gain muscle mass and size and weight use free weights. If you want to tone and increase flexibility use machines and pulleys. The best exercise routine is a mix of both. You can control the weight w/ machines and cables thus giving you more of a stretch plus they are nice if you don't have a spotter.

The main thing is to always keep switching it up. Do not stick w/ one routine w/ the same exercises and same machines. Your body/muscles is a memory bank and will remember these movements and will stop growing. You need to constantly shock your body so it cannot get used to an exercise regimen. Using a combination of machines, pulleys and free weights will hit the muscle in every possible way giving you the best pump(pump-caused by tearing of the muscle and large volume of blood being pumped to that muscle). If you feel you are no longer getting a pump you need to change something up i.e. grip, amount of weight, exercise, etc.

I may have went a little overboard w/ the details. I guess I get excited when I start talking about weight lifting, body building, nutritional supplementation, etc. I'm heavily into it (lift at least 5 days a week) and have a pretty large knowledge base on the subject. Any questions feel free to ask

SOLD Polarg M-28 super bright white bulbs. Replace yellow stock license plate bulbs. See add in classifieds. WANTED:: EVO style CF hood
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Powerhouse was(not sure if they still are) offering 150/year

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by todras:
Originally posted by ancientsanskrit:
The cheapest place I could find was Powerhouse Gym for $250/year, which is still too expensive.

Are you joking?! That's $20 a month. That's .75 a day to use all the equipment/facilites. Wish I could find a place in GR that cheap. You want $20 a year? Get real.

You Dickfor. I told you I could get you a membership to Powerhouse for $23 a month!

** Mike ** "You might beat me in a straight line, but I'll embarass you in the turns"
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by B.Brattina:
still not worth it--- trust me; lifetime is the biggest rip off ever

Yep this is true. Being one of the orginal Novi location members I have seen it first hand. That membership has long been canceled.

'99 Silver svt For sale 19" Axis Neo wheels 3.0 parts, pre-98 trunk, Check classifieds bp.powell@comcast.net
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by teamSVTour:
rule of thumb is if you want to gain muscle mass and size and weight use free weights. If you want to tone and increase flexibility use machines and pulleys.

Ive heard the exact opposite. Machines do not let you chose the form you want, you are stuck with whatever position the machine is in. It will not let you focus on different areas of muscle groups.

the rule of thumb ive heard is that for mass and size you do heavy weights at low reps. for tone you need to do less weight and more reps. Nothing will help flexibility unless you take the time to stretch.

I gather this info from three friends. two who go to a gym with the intention to bulk up, and they do. They are also not very flexible anymore. The other friend works out at home with free weights (medium weights, medium reps). He takes the time to stretch and all that jive.

Who knows, maybe all of that is just an anomoly

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Can somebody please explain to me what "toning" a muscle does to the muscle itself?

** Mike ** "You might beat me in a straight line, but I'll embarass you in the turns"
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
gets the fat off the outside, and delivers the 'cut'

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
you are absolutely correct w/ using heavy weight and low reps to gain size and muscle mass. You are also correct about using low weight and high reps to tone up and lose weight.

But I was referring to the actual form of exercise. Free weights vs. machines & cables

If you want to gain size and muscle then you do heavy (manageable) weight at low reps. Free weights are the favorite for this b/c often times machines do not have enough weight on them to select. If you want to tone and lose weight then you do light weight and high reps.

Machines while they do limit your form to a certain degree, they are designed to keep your form exact. Meaning you can't cheat. What I mean by this is do you ever go to the gym and see the wana-be tough guys trying to curl huge amounts of weight w/ free weights way beyond what they are safely capable of lifting ? They often swing their body and use their back to complete the rep. Not only is their form totally wrong but they are also risking injury.

SOLD Polarg M-28 super bright white bulbs. Replace yellow stock license plate bulbs. See add in classifieds. WANTED:: EVO style CF hood
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  WorldTour_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard