Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
wa2tuff Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
I've tried Windex, Eagle One 20/20, Invisible Glass....I've even used Meguiar's Quick Detailer which seems to work after vigorous wiping and drying, but I still keep getting smears. Sometimes they seem to go away but when I'm facing the sun, they'll be back. I'm not talking about pitting, swirl marks, or pollution caused marks. I can take a towel or a micro-towel and rub across them and they'll change like carpet does when you rub it a different direction. It's almost like there's oil or grease on the glass but that's not the case. I'm at my anal wit's end. Searching brings up alot of answers but nothing about my problem.

WA 2 TUFF SVT 2000 Tropic Green SVT Born 1/28/2000-1975 out of 2150-only 207 made. Some new pics
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Tom,

It's one of two things:

1. Window contamination
You might have some kind of grease/oil on the windows that is not completely being removed. I'm leaning against this one since you've used so many different products to clean the windows.

2. Towel contamination
The towel you are using to clean the glass. You should have a MF or glass towel (specifically made for glass - check WalMart) that is not used for anything else. It should not touch any wax or detailing spray towels or products. They should also be washed separate from those towels.

I have dedicated glass towels that I keep in ziploc bags to avoid contamination. I wash separately and store separately from all other products since waxes and QDs contain various oils, lubricants, etc.

Stoner's Invisible Glass is the best I've used. Try it with newspaper. Messy, but the best method.

HTH

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
If you're talking about a fine layer of weirdness on the inside of the windows, then here's what it probably is:

They plastic in the dash and upper door panels breaks down and vents fumes into the cabin. Those fumes hit the windows and stick. I don't know of any way to stop them, except maybe a dashmat. The coating is a b!tch to get off, no matter what kind of cleaner you use. I usually try a dry paper towel first to remove as much of the residue as I can, then move on to regular cleaners. Good luck with it!

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
He's getting smears, even right after cleaning the glass regardless of product used.

Originally posted by wa2tuff:
I still keep getting smears...It's almost like there's oil or grease on the glass but that's not the case.

I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
My reply pertains to the inside surface of the glass only. Like I said, that layer of slime the dash vents out is a b!tch to get completely off. I've had it take me 30 minutes of wiping to get it 98% clean. He didn't say whether he was having this problem on the inside or outside. If it's the outside, I have no idea why it's streaking. For the outside, I just clay-bar the windows and wipe dry. No streaks, no spots. I would suppose it's possible to clay the inside, but I've got tinited windows now, so the windshield is the only inside surface I'd consider doing that to now.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
I've detailed many, many cars over the years (10 in the last 2 months) and never had a problem cleaning glass using my methods. <shrug>

I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Eh, maybe my dash farts on the windshield more than others.

W
wa2tuff Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
I should have more clear (ironic, huh?), I'm getting this both on the inside and the outside. The one thing that stands out in your answer Pete, is the use of a dedicated towel(s). I'm not doing that. I do wash my towels all together, usually twice cause they're so dirty and then always rinse twice, then into the dryer WITHOUT any fabric softener sheets. I also usually have to wipe out my washer's tub because of the ring. It never occurred to me that I'm probably causing my own problem. I'll stop at Walmart on my way home and get the proper towels. And John, as I said before, my anal side makes me wipe my dash almost on a daily basis so I'm hoping to get any residue it creates almost immediately. Thanks to both of you guys for the input.

Last edited by wa2tuff; 07/14/06 03:03 PM.

WA 2 TUFF SVT 2000 Tropic Green SVT Born 1/28/2000-1975 out of 2150-only 207 made. Some new pics
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Sounds like towel contamination to me.

I use sealant (Zaino, Wolfgang, etc.) on outside glass and finish with a Quick Detailing spray. Never have smears or streaks.

Inside I use methods outlined above.

I would suggest trying the Stoner's + newspaper to see what happens.

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Pete, does Z2 on the windscreen have the same effect as Rain-X?

-06 GTO Torrid Red/M6 -98 LS with BPU -05 Honda Odyssey EX-L mv .zig ..\for\great\.justice
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard