Print Thread
#1609147 07/13/06 12:19 AM
C
CLASSVT Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
So I was getting some semi-loud chattering noise from my engine, and I of course was worried sick. I took it to one shop who ruled out the possible broken timing chain guide that I was told it could be. They said after listening with mech. stethascope, they believe I have "piston slap". Their discription was that a piece of the piston curtain had chipped off leaving the piston slapping around in the cylinder. They explained that I would need a new engine. I had work done at this shop before, and they did a good job with my axel assemblies and gave me good prices and all. But I just couldn't find it in my heart to believe these rednecks. So I drove it to another shop to get a second opinion. I let the guy listen to it, and they said they'd dig into it the next day to find out if it was a broken lifter or a rod or what. Well two days later, it turns out that the timing chain guide has loosened and the tensioner has let the chain loosen, causing my noise. That was music to my ears, compared to the other shop's diagnosis. The bad part...10 hours of labor plus parts = about $1,100. Thought I'd share my story, and maybe it will convince others to always get a second opinion. Although this won't be cheap...it's cheaper than a new car or new engine.

99 Black SVT -3L Hybrid w/.5mm overbore, Spec clutch/flywheel, MSDS, BAT intake, K&N open, 17'Konig Tantrums, DMD, Opt. TB & Y, Powerslots, Bassani w/ magnaflow res. 96 SE MTX- "The War Wagon" "I'm in love with my car..." -Queen
#1609148 07/13/06 01:14 AM
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Time to buy a $300 set of Craftsman tools and a shop manual! Daaaaaaaaang!

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
#1609149 07/13/06 11:27 PM
C
CLASSVT Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
You ain't kidding.

99 Black SVT -3L Hybrid w/.5mm overbore, Spec clutch/flywheel, MSDS, BAT intake, K&N open, 17'Konig Tantrums, DMD, Opt. TB & Y, Powerslots, Bassani w/ magnaflow res. 96 SE MTX- "The War Wagon" "I'm in love with my car..." -Queen

Link Copied to Clipboard