Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
mikeydo Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
Hi again,

About my stumble/hesitation... Recently I have changed the plugs and wires, replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the UIM, added a couple doses of fuel injector cleaner, cleaned out the throttle body. I just checked Each plug and replaced the wires one at a time, no luck.

No CEL light...

In gear, there is a noticeable and dangerous hesitation, out of gear, under the hood pumping of the throttle results in something i can only describe and the engine being punched in the stomach, kind of a deep vibrating suck, then it kicks in a revs up.

Any ideas? Right now i am going to check the coil, and see if i can diagnose that. Next step would be to take it to the dealer, just because i suspect they have the better diagnostic equipment, which may or may not be true. I Hate taking my car in anywhere...

99 Contour SE nice and red
E
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
E
I think your 99 and mine may be twins... I have been having the hesitation and stalling problems for about the last 10 months. It started off happening when I would turn the steering wheel full right or left; then backing up and putting it in gear; then cutting out and stalling when coming to a stop; and finally stalling while moving in low speed traffic to the point where it can't be driven.

My family mechanic THINKS he's isolated it to the VCT and the antipolution controls, but he's not sure yet. if you unplug the wire that sits on top of the VCT (it's the one all the way on the left on top of the VCT, sorry don't know the name for that exact plug) that seems to stop the hesitation/stalling problems, but your CEL comes on. His advice is that the next step would be to replace the solonoid, but he isn't sure that will fix it either.

Honestly, don't bother bringing it to Ford. When this started for me last year, they told me that their solution would be to replace the computer (to the tune of $2k+). Make sure also, that your PVC is ok and you don't need to replace that.

I'm running out of options with mine, and frankly, I'm not sure doing any thing more to it when we can't be sure it's any one thing will work.

But give the unplugging a shot. You'll polute a tad more, but it may stop the problem. Oh, and after you plug it back in, your CEL will go off. But the stalling problem returns after about 400 miles.

My car has just about 123k miles on it now, so I guess it's had a good run. It's just pitifully sad that this is how it is going to potentially end.

R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by mikeydo:

The Problem: When hitting the accelerator from a stop, or if driving down the road at low rpms (i have a manual), if i hit the accelerator more than lightly, the car shudders and stumbles until the rpms get up at least above 2500, then it smooths out. Even idling now, if i hit the accelerator there is a noticeable shuddering and slow increase in rpms until they get up in the 2K+ range. From a stop, if I accelerate carefully I can avoid the stumble, but if I need to move quickly, I am helpless. I can also avoid the problem by revving the engine up a bit before dropping the clutch. I don't normally drive fast and with gas prices try to take it even more easy, but this is a problem that will probably shorten the engine life if left as is. It happens in any gear and at any speed if the engine is not at higher rpms. Cruising at 30-35 mph in 4th, if i hit the accel, bucks n stumbles with no acceleration until the rpms go up. The secondaries appear to be working when required, giving a boost at 3500 rpm. The car idles perfectly for a car with 97K on the OD.

Thanks!

You could not have better discribed the problem I am having with my SVT. If you get it fixed please post and let us know! I also do have the Ford Racing wires... so I will check those. I also just gapped and replaced my plugs along with my fuel filter. Our problem with studdering at low RPMs seems to me like an ignition problem and not as much a fuel problem... but I did replace my fuel filter anyways, hoping it would help (which it didn't). I have had this problem for quite a while now. For me it has got to be coil or bad Ford Racing wires. What other aftermarket wires are you guys running? Any recommendations for wires and where can I get them?

Jeff

For Sale - 96 Tour Sport 2.5L MTX with SVT Exhaust, pre 98 trunklid with newer Contour Sport spoiler instead of lip spoiler, newer Contour sport rims. Newer paint job. Brand new floor mats. Rust Free! PM me for details and pics.
F
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
F
Same with me (98SE, 5spd) but only on re-acceleration at cruising speed over 40. I can live with it, but it is noticeable. I have read weak fuel pumps may be the cause of this in some older posts... (provided you have checked everything else first of course; plugs and wires, TB, MAF UIM/LIM...)
Good luck!

V
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
V
Quote:

About my stumble/hesitation... Recently I have changed the plugs and wires, replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the UIM, added a couple doses of fuel injector cleaner, cleaned out the throttle body. I just checked Each plug and replaced the wires one at a time, no luck.

No CEL light...

In gear, there is a noticeable and dangerous hesitation, out of gear, under the hood pumping of the throttle results in something i can only describe and the engine being punched in the stomach, kind of a deep vibrating suck, then it kicks in a revs up.

Any ideas? Right now i am going to check the coil, and see if i can diagnose that. Next step would be to take it to the dealer, just because i suspect they have the better diagnostic equipment, which may or may not be true. I Hate taking my car in anywhere...

i also have the same problem w/98 contour 2.0L 114000km, thought it was bad atx, but my problem is like yours, if someone had a fix for this or possible causes, please post.... i also have no cels,

Last edited by vincom; 07/20/06 04:51 AM.

canadian, 98 mystique LS sport 2.5L atx 98 contour se 2.0 L atx 00 300m
M
mikeydo Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
No answers yet, but it is amazing how many have very much the same problem!

Besides the obvious cleaning of the fuel system, plugs, and wires, it seems there are a few popular causes...

I have heard the possibility of the coil going, and wasn't able to check it myself due to a non-functional Ohmmeter. They are in the $100-$150 range, not unreasonable if I knew it would fix the prob, but a possibility.

Another issue I have heard is the pre-cats burning up, or falling apart and clogging the main cat. That could lead to high back pressure and some of the slight backfiring i think i hear. Unfortunately, this is apparently a $1K+ fix, at least to do it Right...

Weak fuel pump is another possibility.

I have a code reader that seems to do a good job, at least it finds codes when the CEL comes on, but the CEL is not coming on. I had thought maybe diagnostic equipment at a dealer or good mechanics shop would be able to better detect a specific problem with the coil or pump. Can shop diagnostic equipment isolate things like individual injectors or the coil and at least rule these out?

I will keep all updated if I manage to miraculously fix this one!

M
mikeydo Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
hi ekelley,

Found this doing a search on VCT, not much info, but it may help you assess your mechanics thoughts on it...

http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1a/bl433a.htm

It almost seems like we should have a seperate board for hesitation issues!

There are many possible causes, but it would be great to get all the causes/solutions(when found) together.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Both cars of mine are doing this now. The SVT I replaced the FMS wires I had and it fixed it for a few months and now it is doing it again. Luckily the last wires I bought have a lifetime warranty on them. Hopefully I can change them out again and fix it permanently.
It is doughtful to be fuel issues you would have more problems on the top end from inadequate fuel.

Green 2000 SVT #1166 mods-K&N and Custom heat shield, optimized y pipe, Magnaflow center resonator, DMDhttp://www.geocities.com/savinoss/Cars.html -Wifes car 99 Mystique V6 5 spd
M
mikeydo Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M

I have experienced that also, replacing parts, having the problem go away for a while (days or weeks), only to return without known cause. This happened after i replaced wires and plugs, and after i changed an O2 sensor. I have tried the ultimate in cheap fix attempt... clear the PCM and just drive... even that seems to help the problem, but it comes back. Maybe the engine has to be in constant edit/update mode. Unless there is a problem with the coil sending stray currents and frying the wires, i don't really think the wires go bad that fast. Everyone bashes the FMC wires, but they are definitely a step up from all stock replacement wires. My plugs show very even minimal wear each time. I wish i could test the power of the spark curent at the end of the plug wire, that would at least rule out the wires as the main culprit...

E
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
E
thanks for that link. and see, that's the base problem: you can't isolate it to any one thing. if i could say for sure that it was the VCT solonoid and that after replacing it, the problem would not reproduce, i'd be willing to drop the $600+ labor. but since i've got the higher milage (124k), that would be half of the car's value. i love my car, but not sure at what point "enough" comes.

and yes, hesitations should be a sub-board.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard