Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Originally posted by RogerB:
Porter-Cable makes all kinds of stuff. Saying "grab your Porter-Cable" is kind of like saying "Hand me that Sears."

At least if you ask for a "kleenex," almost everyone in the room will know what you're talking about.

We're talking about detailing. When someone is detailing their car and says I use a porter cable, it's understood.

A: "How do you wax your car?"
B: "I use a Porter Cable."

It's generally accepted amongst detailers that Porter Cable (PC) is synonymous with dual-action or orbital polishers.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by GTO Pete:
Porter-Cable makes all kinds of stuff. Saying "grab your Porter-Cable" is kind of like saying "Hand me that Sears."

At least if you ask for a "kleenex," almost everyone in the room will know what you're talking about.

We're talking about detailing. When someone is detailing their car and says I use a porter cable, it's understood.

A: "How do you wax your car?"
B: "I use a Porter Cable."

Whatever. When I saw the subject line, I thought "what the hell are they going to do with an air compressor?" (I didn't realize PC made orbital polishers.) Nevertheless, no context clue was provided in the subject line, as in your neat little couplet, above.

Of course, I'm smart enough to figure it out once I read the post, but wouldn't it be better to be clear from the start?

Quote:

It's generally accepted amongst detailers that Porter Cable (PC) is synonymous with dual-action or orbital polishers.

1. I have a dual action (orbital) polisher that is not a PC, and I bet I could find many more, if I cared to.

2. I'm not a "detailer." Nor am I a sommelier, barista, climatologist, physicist, or alcoholic. Consider your audience.

Meh. Whatever. It's not my post. Carry on.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Whatever. When I saw the subject line, I thought "what the hell are they going to do with an air compressor?" (I didn't realize PC made orbital polishers.) Nevertheless, no context clue was provided in the subject line, as in your neat little couplet, above.

Of course, I'm smart enough to figure it out once I read the post, but wouldn't it be better to be clear from the start?
2. I'm not a "detailer." Nor am I a sommelier, barista, climatologist, physicist, or alcoholic. Consider your audience.

Perfectly clear from first line in the first post of this thread states:
Added to FAQ - Detailing Sticky

I even provide a model # in the 3rd line:
I use the most popular model - PC7424.

Pictures of wax, a hood, etc.

After all that you have to nitpick? Give me a break.

Quote:

1. I have a dual action (orbital) polisher that is not a PC, and I bet I could find many more, if I cared to.

Re-read. I'll requote and bold it for you:
Quote:

And I'm well aware there are others. I don't know if others work the same, have the same features, etc.

I use a PC. I've only used a PC. Hence the title, in Aesthetics, with a link to FAQ Detailing, with the model #, with a detailed how-to, with pics, on how I use my Porter Cable. As requested by CEGers.

Rather than taking a stab like you did in your initial post, a simple PM with your suggestions would have worked.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by teamSVTour:
Where can you get different cut pads for the buffer? It looks like they can range from heavy cut to least cut. Can you pick the different cuts at say a Pep Boys? I bought a 10in foam pad for my buffer from Pep Boys but IIRC there was only one to pick from not a whole selection of different cuts but I could be wrong its been a while. I'd hate to have to order these from somwhere and wait for it. I'd rather just pick some up.

Post the brand and model # of your buffer.

Ryobi RB100 10in orbital buffer 3200/min 120v

SOLD Polarg M-28 super bright white bulbs. Replace yellow stock license plate bulbs. See add in classifieds. WANTED:: EVO style CF hood
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
bump

SOLD Polarg M-28 super bright white bulbs. Replace yellow stock license plate bulbs. See add in classifieds. WANTED:: EVO style CF hood
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Where can you get different cut pads for the buffer? It looks like they can range from heavy cut to least cut. Can you pick the different cuts at say a Pep Boys? I bought a 10in foam pad for my buffer from Pep Boys but IIRC there was only one to pick from not a whole selection of different cuts but I could be wrong its been a while. I'd hate to have to order these from somwhere and wait for it. I'd rather just pick some up.

Post the brand and model # of your buffer.

Ryobi RB100 10in orbital buffer 3200/min 120v

From searching the web, it looks like you can get an "applicator bonnett" and a "buffing bonnett". I'm not sure how effective this buffer is for polishing to remove swirls.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard