Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Added to FAQ - Detailing Sticky

The following how-to describes my method for using the Porter Cable which may differ from others. I use the most popular model - PC7424.

In this how-to I am polishing the paint of a 1995 Mercury Mystique that us heavily swirled. Here is the surface to be polished after a clay:

1. Apply polish to pad
I apply the polish to the pad as shown below. Since the surface is heavily swirled, I am using an aggressive polish with the heaviest cut pad.

2. Apply polish to paint
I dab the foam pad on the area I am going to work on. My personal preference is to spray the foam pad with some detailing spray. (You can use water if you choose.) I find this helps the polish "last" a little longer - it doesn't dry as quickly and I can work with it longer.

3. I start at a low speed (~1000) and work the polish smoothly and quickly over the entire area to be worked. There is no need to apply pressure - just direct it. (The PC will not harm your paint unless you are using an extremely aggressive compound and pushing down for a long time.) I then turn up the speed to ~2000 - 2500 and work slower - about 1" per second from one end to the other. I then work back to where I started at the same pace overlapping about 2/3 of the previous pass. I continue this until the entire area is complete.

1st pass: driver side to passenger side
2nd pass: front to back
3rd pass: driver side to passenger side
4th pass: front to back

By keeping the foam pad slightly damp, it keeps the polish from drying out too quickly.

4. Repeat
Move on to the next section that needs to be polished and repeat steps 1-3.

5. Buff
I prefer to complete a panel - in this case the hood - then buff it all out with a clean 100% cotton towel.

6. Examine the paint
I examine the paint closely for swirls. Am I happy with the way it looks? Or do I want to remove more swirls? If you want to remove more swirls, repeat steps 1-3 until you are happy with the swirl level.

Note:
Depending on the agressiveness of the polish you used, you may need to follow with a light polish. Example: If you used Poorboy's SSR2.5, you should follow with Poorboy's SSR1. This will bring clean up the paint even further and really bring out the paint.

7. Apply sealant
Take you sealant of choice and apply with a finishing pad or by hand.

8. Clean your pads
Clean your pads immediately with a little dishwashing soap and warm water. Keep rinsing and squeezing until all the polish is gone from the pad. Do not let the pad sit with polish on it! Let pads air dry.

My review:
Like most people, I was scared that I would screw up my paint with the PC. It's actually very easy to use and the single best investment I have made. It has allowed me to remove swirls and reduce scratches like I could not do by hand. I practice frequently on my Mystique with a variety of polishes to try to find what works best for me. I've gotten better with practice and can remove swirls without much effort.

HTH!

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Excellent how-to!

If you don't mind me asking, but is there a difference between a buffer and a PC? I have a non-used 10" buffer that I'd like to try out, but not sure about the results.

My ride(Cardomain link) : '95 Contour 16V Zetec DOHC, Teal , ATX Born on Sep. 4, 1995 86+ miles *LEDs mods are on their way!*
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
wowsers!

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by KerryKool:

If you don't mind me asking, but is there a difference between a buffer and a PC? I have a non-used 10" buffer that I'd like to try out, but not sure about the results.

Not too sure, but when I hear buffer, I think of a highspeed polisher that rotates freely on an axis. If you don't know what you're doing you can burn right into your paint. The PC (a polisher) rotates on a spinning axis (so it jiggles) and it's more user-friendly and gets awesome results.

If I'm not mistaken, you can get better results with a highspeed buffer, but there's tons more room for error

98.5 T. Red Contour SVT Lowered on FSVT's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154233
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
the pc is an orbital buffer/polisher. it should handle most detailing jobs on its own. a rotary buffer is used for tougher scuffs/surface defects that orbital simply cant get out but its also more prone to damage the paint too if u dont know how to do it. most detailers say forget the rotary and get lots of practice with an orbital like the portercable before trying to implement a rotary into your detailing tools. anyone correct me if i misstated something

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Where can you get different cut pads for the buffer? It looks like they can range from heavy cut to least cut. Can you pick the different cuts at say a Pep Boys? I bought a 10in foam pad for my buffer from Pep Boys but IIRC there was only one to pick from not a whole selection of different cuts but I could be wrong its been a while. I'd hate to have to order these from somwhere and wait for it. I'd rather just pick some up.

SOLD Polarg M-28 super bright white bulbs. Replace yellow stock license plate bulbs. See add in classifieds. WANTED:: EVO style CF hood
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
If you don't mind me asking, but is there a difference between a buffer and a PC?

Porter Cable is really a brand. Think of Kleenex, when the true term is facial tissue.

- Dual-action or orbital polisher -
Like the Porter Cable. It does spin, but when applied to the surface of the paint it appears to just vibrate. You don't see the pad spinning nearly as fast as it does when not on the paint. That is because it rotates and moves back and forth. If you place the orbital polisher on paint, it will begin to move across the paint on it's own.

- Circular / rotary / high-speed polisher -
This is the traditional polisher most body shops use. It spins on one axis. Because the pad spins on one axis at high speed, the pad must continue to be moved or it will burn through the paint. Not recommended for beginners / novices.

G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Originally posted by teamSVTour:
Where can you get different cut pads for the buffer? It looks like they can range from heavy cut to least cut. Can you pick the different cuts at say a Pep Boys? I bought a 10in foam pad for my buffer from Pep Boys but IIRC there was only one to pick from not a whole selection of different cuts but I could be wrong its been a while. I'd hate to have to order these from somwhere and wait for it. I'd rather just pick some up.

Post the brand and model # of your buffer.

X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
Excellent write-up! I can't wait to get my hands on a PC!

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by GTO Pete:
If you don't mind me asking, but is there a difference between a buffer and a PC?

Porter Cable is really a brand. Think of Kleenex, when the true term is facial tissue.

Porter-Cable makes all kinds of stuff. Saying "grab your Porter-Cable" is kind of like saying "Hand me that Sears."

At least if you ask for a "kleenex," almost everyone in the room will know what you're talking about.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard