Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
baco99 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
OK. So, I now have a motorcycle. I am reassembling it little by little. I will use this thread to communicate my progress and field any questions regarding to the bike's resurrection or operation.

Thank you for your time and patience. Please don't hi-jack this thread with things that are Contour related.

For Sale: - Sony PSP with a Baseball 2k6 and the movie Crash. $100 - 1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible w/ Auto-Stick. Needs Restoration. $1200 OBO
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
hey brian, do you think my SVT would look cool with SE side skirts?

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by ElKy:
hey brian, do you think my SVT would look cool with SE side skirts?

yeah do it

I can show you pics of that this weekend ...

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Will the SVT kit fit my car???

B
baco99 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by hotdimmes:
Will the SVT kit fit my car???

only if your car has 2 wheels. won't work on 4 wheeled cars because it interferes with the hyperbolator.

For Sale: - Sony PSP with a Baseball 2k6 and the movie Crash. $100 - 1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible w/ Auto-Stick. Needs Restoration. $1200 OBO
B
baco99 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
UPDATE: got a plate and insurance today. the plate is so little!

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Pics, pics, pics.....Are you going to the Museum of Transportation Miata day?

Current Car: 2005 Lava Orange Mazdaspeed Miata 2004 Graphite Dodge Stratus Old cars: 2003 Garnet Mica Miata/1998 T-Red SVT Contour
B
baco99 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
i left my camera at my folks' place and it's killing me!

yes, i should be able to make it on Aug 5.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
LOL If you're not picking up the camera any time soon, I can swing by an snap a few for you.

1998 SVT Contour Silver Frost for sale in Classifieds.
B
baco99 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by bishop375:
LOL If you're not picking up the camera any time soon, I can swing by an snap a few for you.

you're on. maybe tomorrow night? i'll trade you Elky's blue paperclip for some digi photos.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I don't think tomorrow night should be a problem, but Thursday may be even better, as we'll be in Greenwood anyway.

Let me know... PM me with your address, I'll PM you with ours!

J

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Sweet. more at mazda-speed.com in NE forum.

Current Car: 2005 Lava Orange Mazdaspeed Miata 2004 Graphite Dodge Stratus Old cars: 2003 Garnet Mica Miata/1998 T-Red SVT Contour
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by baco99:
interferes with the hyperbolator.

Do I have one of those on my car?

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
Originally posted by todras:

NO! No hyperbolator for you!

Kim 1995 Contour GL Needs less "needs more"
B
baco99 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by todras:

they stopped installing them in 1998 with production number 1172. so, i don't think you need to worry about it.

B
baco99 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
almost there. tonight i bled the brakes, reinstalled both axles, set up the chain tensioners, installed the choke cable, mounted the license plate, and did a loose install of the tank, fairings, and seat. it's starting to look like a bike.

I need 2 screws for the tank, 2 for the side fairings, and 2 screws for the fuel line bracket. i should be able to get them at Home Depot tomorrow night. then i just need a small piece of hose for the tank evap line

and THEN she should be ready for fuel. oh, also need a new battery.

hopefully she'll be running tomorrow night so i can get an inspection before Tues!

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
battery?
that battery was brand new....6 years ago!
haha.
wont hold a charge?

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
B
baco99 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
nope. i got a digital charger thingie. it gets to 8.3 volts and then throws and error. no big deal, batteries are cheap.

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
well that sucks.
i think it was only charged once.

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
I think there's a negative force field around Elky's house that drains batteries!!

00 SVT Contour (1584) 04 F-350 XLT Sport V10 02 Honda Spirit 750 64 390 FE Big Block
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
probably!

but that one had a good excuse..it was charged once...6 years ago!

B
baco99 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
got her running today! for about a minute, then the engine flooded. time to adjust the carbs.

thanks Jason for the pics.

Last edited by baco99; 07/14/06 03:37 AM.

F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
it's so weird to see that thing put together!
nice job on the painting.

woot!

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
awesome!!havent seen her like that in 6 years!
almost brings a tear to my eye.
haha

F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
crybaby

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
hey now!

be nice!

B
baco99 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
sumbitsh...i just noticed i put the fuel petcock on wrong and need pliers to shut fuel off instead of the usual screwdriver. poo.

i think the carb float is sticking, probably has a family of spiders living in there. i think i need to take the intake off and open the top caps to clean the bowls and make sure the float is floating correctly.

i sincerely hope i don't have to do a complete rejet, as it is a PITA.

i also have no idea why the headlight stopped working. hi beams are OK, but low beams do nothing. all other lights work. my only suggestion is that the contols need to be tightened down more to make contact. had to take it apart to put the choke cable in. horn don't work either, probably the same issue.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
The paint looks even better in person.

Glad you got it started, even if just for a moment!

Let me know when she's ready to roll, and I'll stop by again!

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
i thought the fule shut off had a little lever on it so you could shut it off by hand.

the horn defintly did work, as did th eheadlight.
the horn is cute sounding.
hehe

float is probabaly just sticking a little.
shouldnt have to rejet it since that was done before i bought it.

B
baco99 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by ElKy:

the horn defintly did work, as did th eheadlight.

i know! what gives? just stopped yesterday, has to have soemthing to do with the choke cable install. one of the contacts must have gotten loose.

B
baco99 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
found a pinhole leak in the tank today. back to square 1.

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
aww damn!!!
i spent forever getting that tank to not leak!!
shouldnt eh POR15 stuff have taken care of that?

shoulda got the eastwood kit!

B
baco99 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
i must have just missed that one area with the POR15.

anyhoo...i drained the tank and let it air dry, then used liquid weld for tank repair on the hole from the outside. let it dry for 3 hours and then tried again. it seems to have bonded and is holding OK for now.

took her for the first ride tonight! had to run with the hi-beam on, still not sure why the lo-beam and horn aren't working. i may try to find the fuse box. i may have blown something from trying to jump the old battery.

oh, got a new battery too.

still having some funkiness with the fuel petcock. it doesn't flood in "run" anymore, but it stalls after a while. I think the "run" and "reserve" lines are swapped. after the stall, i switch to "prime" for about 10 seconds and then it's fine.

shifts great! all 5 speeds synch up nicely.

only new issue is the tach, it's pinned at 11k RPM all the time. i think the spindle is stripped.

B
baco99 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
OK, so here's the update:

Gas tank is leaking in a new place for sure. The good news is the patch stuff I bought seems to be working. So, I need to drain the tank, strip the paint and bondo out some more and find the other leak. I also might be getting a second tank just in case.

Fuel petcock is all messed up. I think I'm going to just get a new one. Apparently these bikes are notorious for having a fouled-up 'c0ck.

Real GS500 gauges are in the mail! The 1980's CB gauges I've been running will be seen on eBay shortly. I just need to find out how to run the mileage up on the new gauges to match all my paperwork. I think an electric motor and little gear will do the trick (it worked for the GL back in the day).

Also, I recently discovered an exhaust leak. Seems to go away once the bike warms up which is a tell-tale sign of cracked exhaust gaskets. I'll take the pipes off and paint them and replace the gaskets maybe next week.

; )

F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
It's really cool to see you so into this bike and putting it together in such great time.
I'm loving these updates.
Keep 'em coming!

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
go brian!!
i wish i had spent more time on it, but too many projects at once stopped that quick!
sucks cuz i wont find a deal like i got on that bike again.
oh well, its better to see it being used than sitting on blocks in my garage!

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
(it worked for the GL back in the day).

Was that for the V6 gages you were going to install? We still have them, but never did install them. BTW, she'll prolly turn 150K in the next 2 weeks!! A/C stopped working last fall, but it wasn't loosing the coolant. Finally researched on here and found out it was the air gap on the clutch and fixed it for free. It probably has the coldest A/C in any car I've ever owned.

00 SVT Contour (1584) 04 F-350 XLT Sport V10 02 Honda Spirit 750 64 390 FE Big Block
B
baco99 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
that's great to hear! i really liked that car. happy to see it still on the road.

and yes, it was for the V6 gauges. never got that tach to read properly, so i took it out.

B
baco99 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
It's really cool to see you so into this bike and putting it together in such great time.
I'm loving these updates.
Keep 'em coming!

thanks! it's really quite fun. i think i like working on it more than a car because everything is so much more accessible. and being an air-cooled twin means the mechanics are simpler.

only downside is that i've done NOTHING to the Karmann Ghia in 2 months. but without a title, i think i may just part it out to get my money out of it and move on.

B
baco99 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
OK. So I FINALLY had some time to finish putting the bike together.

- Got a rust-free tank, ground off the finish and primed it yesterday.
- Ground off the rust and scale from the pipes and painted with high-temp manifold paint.
- Replaced both exhaust seals.
- New upper fuel petcock installed.
- Cleaned lower fuel petcock and fixed a vacuum leak to carbs (Now PRIME, RES, and ON work properly). New one is on order anyway.
- Rebuilt carbs with new bowl gaskets, float needles and o-rings. Cleaned with carb cleaner (lots of old fuel deposits)

Funny thing about the carbs, the float needles were in the wrong holes, so they weren't floating at all; they were jammed into the main jets. Explains why the carbs kept filling with gas and overflowing.

Took her our last night and she works like a charm. Going to double check the rear alignment and then try for a longer ride some time this weekend. Anyone wanna come?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  baco99, frenchblueC2_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard