Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by striker2:
good theory but again we are talking about the REAR.

I think I should change glasses , not often this old gezzer misses someones REAR - D-oh

2012 Lotus Evora --------- 95 Mystique MTX - GONE 395,000 Kms --------- Both Zetecs '97 Contour Mtx - stock - GONE
A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
WD-40 is not a lubricant!!!!! It is a rust solvant that is rubber and plastic safe, unluck PB blaster

You should be using some sort of actual lube to prevent the squeaks. Lithium, marine grease, etc.

Have any of you checked your sway bar bushings, they are the most common squeakers. When control arms bushings go bad you get clunks and knocks. When bearing go bad you get a loud moan that gets worse with higher speeds. Did you lube you and clean the spring caps?

-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
A buddy of mine also had the same problem after Ford replaced a snapped rear spring... Ever since ford touched the right rear to replace the spring it squeeks at random, usually low speeds, also a pre-98.

Thought of this when I read the very first post then I remembered the above and I'm pretty sure my buddy looked into his parking brake and it wasn't the source of the sound.

(Off the hip here.. Perhaps it's the parking brake cable rubbing, it makes a pretty annoying sound at random when it starts to rub the trailing arm.)

-------------------- 1999 Black/Tan CSVT #2658 of 2760 201,000+km - K&N, Magnecor race wires, Optima red top, BAT Euro Kit, KVR CF pads, PIAA Plasma Ion bulbs. 1989 Yamaha FZR600 - 40,000+km - K&N Pods, Stage 3 Jets, V&H 4-1 exhaust
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
tighten the shizznit out of the sway bar end links.

Fixed my issue.

Bob

98 SVT Contour (BAT strut/springs, B&M Shifter) 03 Harley Davidson F150 (modded)
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
i just looked at it today in school. mine was caused by a loose upper strut mount. the nut that holds it to the strut had come just a little loos and was allowing it to move around and make noise.

97 contour gl mtx front & rear upper strut tower braces 19mm bat sway bar Koni struts w/GC knockoffs
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
i just looked at it today in school. mine was caused by a loose upper strut mount. the nut that holds it to the strut had come just a little loos and was allowing it to move around and make noise.

You talking about the big nut on top of the strut shaft, or the little 10mm nuts that screw up into the wheel well/strut tower?

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by RogerB:

You talking about the big nut on top of the strut shaft, or the little 10mm nuts that screw up into the wheel well/strut tower?

the big 19mm nut on top.

97 contour gl mtx front & rear upper strut tower braces 19mm bat sway bar Koni struts w/GC knockoffs
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R

the big 19mm nut on top.

How did you tighten it? Did you have the whole thing apart?

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S

the big 19mm nut on top.

How did you tighten it? Did you have the whole thing apart?

i did have to take the whole thing out of the car. however since it is on coilovers it comes aprat easily. i could even give you a list of tools you will need.

vice grips/pliers: remove the brake line clip
18mm wrench/socket: remove the strut pinch bolt (may need PB blaster and cheater bar)
big hammer: used for removing the strut from the hub (dont hit the strut)
10mm ratchet with at least 12inch extension: remove the 2 bolts holding the perch to the car.

19mm and 9mm wrenchs: put the 19 on the big nut and the 9 on the top of the strut and tighten down the nut.

reverse removal procedures to install. i had it done in about 30-45 min.

T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
my front is making that awfull creaking noise mainly when i start and stop like the suspension is stretching around. My guess is either the sway bar bushings or my struts which i'm about to change anyway.

98 CSVT Black
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard