Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1606381 07/08/06 01:30 PM
N
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
N
Hey guys, got a question i feel I should know the answer to but don't... but first some backstory.
I recently purchased a 95 Mystique with the intention of my dad driving it. The car didn't run but was in pretty nice shape and only cost $500. It's been in at the ford dealer where i work and it now runs, but the tech is thinking it has either a burnt valve or a sticking valve in the rear head. I'm looking for the most bang for my buck here. I figure to r&r the rear head and redo the timing and everything has got to be 10 hours labor or so (I haven't looked it up, just a guess) not to mention the cost of getting whatever work done to the head I'll need.

Now, the question. I saw in the classifieds a 99 SVT block and heads for sale in Canada with about 64K miles. I know the 95's are OBD1, but if I use all the standard electronics would the 99 engine run on OBD1 without any real issues? One thing I'm concerned about with this idea is the injectors and if the 19# injectors would/could work from the stock computer or if chips or anything are available for the OBD1 ecu.

My other two options I'm considering are just some SVT heads or the one I least want to go with is just having the stock head redone. Anyway, thoughts, knowledge and even opinions on the subject would be appreciated. I'll check back in about a week when I get back to civilization.

Shawn Clone Jezabel- 1999 SE Sport V6 MTX- Severly wounded, comatose Silver frost/Black Exterior-Midnight Blue Interior The Firecracker- 1995 Mystique LS V6 MTX stock and backfiring like a rifle shot I have 3 loves, my God, Brittany, and my Car.
#1606382 07/09/06 06:37 PM
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
SVT block and heads? You are basically describing a long block, right? No problem, bolt on all the 95 parts, LIM and UIM. There is absolutely no mechanical reason at all to run 19# injectors.

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
#1606383 07/09/06 08:33 PM
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by JEDsContour:
SVT block and heads? You are basically describing a long block, right? No problem, bolt on all the 95 parts, LIM and UIM. There is absolutely no mechanical reason at all to run 19# injectors.

It obviously would work... But I think about this and I personally think you should go 3L. I mean, yeah how cool would that be? a 95 stique with an SVT motor... But that means you have to run high octane gas, with is $$$ Or you could go with a 3L for about the same price, with the same amount of miles, get a better motor that puts out more power, gets better gas mileage, and will run on regular gas if properly tuned.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
#1606384 07/09/06 09:59 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:

It obviously would work... But I think about this and I personally think you should go 3L. I mean, yeah how cool would that be? a 95 stique with an SVT motor... But that means you have to run high octane gas, with is $$$ Or you could go with a 3L for about the same price, with the same amount of miles, get a better motor that puts out more power, gets better gas mileage, and will run on regular gas if properly tuned.

why would a SVT engine in a 95 need premium fuel? To make it work you would have to use all of the sensors, etc from the 95 ... that includes the pcm, which is already tuned for regular not premium

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
#1606385 07/09/06 10:29 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by BrApple-SeVT:

why would a SVT engine in a 95 need premium fuel? To make it work you would have to use all of the sensors, etc from the 95 ... that includes the pcm, which is already tuned for regular not premium

Cause if it is a long block it included the lower compression pistions...and you really would like high octane gas for that....or you will get real nice knock.

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
#1606386 07/09/06 10:31 PM
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by elraido:
Originally posted by BrApple-SeVT:

Cause if it is a long block it included the lower compression pistions...and you really would like high octane gas for that....or you will get real nice knock.

exactly, Premium gas required doesnt just mean that the computer is tuned for it. Its both software and hardware.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
#1606387 07/09/06 10:35 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
I keep thinking of putting a 3.0L in my car when the engine desides to die, but there are so many little different "tweeking" things that need to go on, I am not sure it would be cost effective as getting a new car.

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
#1606388 07/10/06 12:48 AM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
i hope you guys realize that 95's are OBDI and 96+ are OBD II

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

#1606389 07/10/06 01:10 AM
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by elraido:

I think you meant higher compression.

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
#1606390 07/10/06 01:11 AM
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Tourige:
i hope you guys realize that 95's are OBDI and 96+ are OBD II

Yes, I realize that. So what?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard