Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
For about a year now I've known that the air conditioning was broken in this car (98 mystique). It's one of those clasic leaks in the system that leaks the Freion, and what not and is impossible to seal or fix inexpensively. I mean the average guy I ask, and even my mechanic is going to say this is one of those "more than the car is worth" repairs, and I agree because I will not fork over 20-30% of what this car is worth for a repair when I could easily just trade it + use that money for a new car which is affordable. The only solution that I've found is that they'll seal it for the "season" and use some sort of fluid seal that they put through the system first to I guess seal or slow the leak, then put the AC fluid in, but by next year I gotta do it all over again. It goes for about $90 - $100 the whole process. Is it worth it? Is there something I could do? Maybe even the junkyard as a possible part source? Anything you guys have to say will be appreciated.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Both of mine had dumb minor leaks after the warranty ran out. I fixed them with A/C stop leak/oil additive. They leak from the hose seals. You will see the oil stains right next to the crimps.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
You might have the very common accumulator tank leak, due to rust, probably $200 or so($US)repair. That is located to the right of the radiator when you are looking at the front of the car. My sister's 1995 Mystique needed that,my 1998 Mystique needed a compressor because the O-ring in the case leaked. Compressor was $200, R134A 20$, did it at home. I would figure that is a $400 or more repair at a shop. I have not had any luck with "sealer". If there is some refrigerant left (R134A) you might be able to mix up some dish soap and brush it on the accumulator, look for bubbles. I'd fix it if you want to drive the Mystique a few years and be comfortable.

M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Can you guys recommend a good stop sealer? Also without paying labour at a mechanic, is there a good way to diagnose exactly what's wrong with it?

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard