Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
I have a '99 SE and just installed an open air intake and plan on adding an SVT exhaust with the resonator replaced with a Magnaflow. That's the only mods I am planning for this car which has 105k miles.

After that, should I bother getting a chip or no?

Last edited by BillyT; 07/08/06 01:53 AM.

I am currently looking for an SVT exhaust. If anyone has one for sale PM me or email me at BillyTFried@hotmail.com!!!
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I would get a chip or X-Cal 2, but make sure your getting it from a reputable company that knows what they are doing like brenspeed.com. If you can, put it on a dyno and get a tune. Thats the best way to do it.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Jim, you beat me to it

Don't chip the car. Tune it on a dyno. It would be like playing video games on an NES cartridge vs. downloading it

Just be absolutely sure that's all you're doing to your car, so you don't have to retune later and compensate for new mods..

Last edited by Pre98; 07/08/06 02:31 AM.
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Hey now I still play my Nintendo.

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
If you're planning to do that, then get on a dyno and get a guy to tune it well. Your total cost for all of this should be around $700 to $800 including dyno time .

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by m4gician:
If you're planning to do that, then get on a dyno and get a guy to tune it well. Your total cost for all of this should be around $700 to $800 including dyno time .

It shouldnt be quite that expensive. With a naturally aspirated engine, it should only take about 5 pulls at the most and should go much quicker than a forced induction setup. My first dyno tune from SCT was a flat rate of $500 and $200 for each additional tune. That included dyno time.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
On a similar note, didn't buckshot show a gain of ~15hp with an svt chip on a stock SE? Is there any way to get a chip with a similar tune to a stock svt chip so that you dont have to deal with all that PATS business?

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by hotdimmes:
On a similar note, didn't buckshot show a gain of ~15hp with an svt chip on a stock SE? Is there any way to get a chip with a similar tune to a stock svt chip so that you dont have to deal with all that PATS business?

That was cardoc over on FCO. It did gain something like 15 whp. However, the car was running downright awful with the stock programming. The graph looked nasty. The svt pcm did seem to clean things up but Im sure results will vary depending how the car is running to begin with. Id say if the car is running like it should with the stock pcm, then only about a few whp would be gained. Long story short, the stock svt pcm tune is far from perfect.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I have a 99se as well and have the open intake and catback with a small magnaflow res. I put a superchip and and I noticed a difference. I also noticed a difference after I put about 1k miles on it. It started to run rough and had trouble ideling. Take it off and runs good again. I can't keep it on for more then 600-1k miles at a time.

99 Contour SE Sport
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Troy00690:
I have a 99se as well and have the open intake and catback with a small magnaflow res. I put a superchip and and I noticed a difference. I also noticed a difference after I put about 1k miles on it. It started to run rough and had trouble ideling. Take it off and runs good again. I can't keep it on for more then 600-1k miles at a time.

That's pretty disconcerting.

I am currently looking for an SVT exhaust. If anyone has one for sale PM me or email me at BillyTFried@hotmail.com!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard