Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
"
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
"
Dont sweat it, mine just did it too.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tranny&Number=1271489&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

• Order the bolt (bolt p/n W702421-S309M)
  • Jack up car and remove wheel so you can get to the shift cable ends and pop them off while you're down there
  • Support engine and transmission
  • Remove Transmission mount (3 bolts on tranny +3 on car)
  • Remove shift tower bolts
  • Pull shift tower out (unless your car is stuck in gear instead of neutral, in that case add 2 or so hours of cursing, pulling, and violent shaking of the shift tower to the end of this list)
  • Drill or use screw extractor to remove the part of bolt still in the tower (it's very soft )
  • use threadlock and replace bolt
  • Fish out bolt head (magnet on a string or a Bend-It Magnet ACE harware has them other places prob do to)
    Installation is reverse (use gasketmaker!)

Easy fix hour/ couple hours fix

• 1999 Mercury Mystique LS 3L Manual
    B
    CEG\'er
    OP Offline
    CEG\'er
    B
    Originally posted by Big Jim:
    Although I agree that it is very likely the shift tower bolt, I would thoroughly check out the linkage before pulling the trans. See if the linkage has come off at the trans end. See if moving the lever moves the shift tower to make sure that you don't have a broken cable. Most certainly check out the shifter itself. Many have had problems with the ball on the end of the B&M shifter breaking. It is also possible that the cable came loose from the shifter end.

Thanxs for the advice,are there any write ups on how to do any of these,i'm very mechanically declined,as it just took me about 2 or so hours to replace the thermostat!I am only 19years old,just starting out repairing my car.What sucks is that this happened when I was test driving it after the new t-stat was in to make sure everything was ok.I guess something was wrong!

99 SVT/silver frost....with "some" mods SVT FLYWHEEL 4 SALE!!! PM me
    B
    CEG\'er
    OP Offline
    CEG\'er
    B
    "Shotty" thanxs for the info. I guess there is no ceger out here in Delaware that could help me is there?Free food and drinks for however long it takes!

-Just throwing that offer out there(I could actually pay them a little bit of money)

B
    CEG\'er
    OP Offline
    CEG\'er
    B
    I forgot to mention that I still have either 2nd or 3rd gear its not like I can't move,I just can't shifter into any other gears,would this still be my shifter tower bolt?or just My short shifter broken?
    I'm waiting for a call back from my mechanic,I'll let you guys kno if you were correct.

W
    Hard-core CEG'er
    Hard-core CEG'er
    W
    Originally posted by brandonsvt99:
    I forgot to mention that I still have either 2nd or 3rd gear its not like I can't move,I just can't shifter into any other gears,would this still be my shifter tower bolt?or just My short shifter broken?
    I'm waiting for a call back from my mechanic,I'll let you guys kno if you were correct.

Well that would have been fricking helpfull for you to point out before!
    Sounds now like you broke one of the shift cables OR the end popped off the transmission side or even shifter mechanism side.

Stick with diagnosing the problem by jacking up the car and pulling the drivers wheel off. Use jackstands. Have someone sit in the car and shift the shifter fore/aft and see what is moving. THen have them move is left/right and see if it is still moving or not. Once you identify the area by the fore/aft movement then you can see there is a second lever with a cable next to that one. If it isn't moving but it is still hooked up it is the cable of at the shifter. If it is a cable end moving but no lever moving then the end is bad and it came off. If everything is moving correctly but you still can't shift to other gears then you are screwed and need to go back where you had the transmission done and make them fix it.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
    B
    CEG\'er
    OP Offline
    CEG\'er
    B
    Yea sorry about the missed info.last night I was so mad I thought I put that info,until today when I was looking back and found out that I didn't.

Thanxs warmonger,i'm gonna jack it up and try if I can see these cables.

*does anybody have a pic of where and what these cables look like?

T
    Addicted CEG\'er
    Addicted CEG\'er
    T

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
    B
    CEG\'er
    OP Offline
    CEG\'er
    B
    Are these shifter cables located out of the tranny or are they internal?when I remove the wheel and the splash guard should they be visable if someone is in the car moving the shifter around?

B
    Hard-core CEG'er
    Hard-core CEG'er
    B
    They are open, but they are a little hard to fully see. It helps to remove the left front wheel.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
    P
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    P
    Remove the drivers side wheel, I dont remember if you have to remove any splash seilding, but if there is some, remove it...then look right up on in there and you'll see a bracket with 2 large nuts on it that hold it secure and there are 2 cables that are attatched to pins, just pop them off.

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard