Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I have a failing boot on my left front caliper, so I got two rebuild kits with pistons. I've never rebuilt a caliper before: is it pretty straightforward?

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
FWIW, BAT sells new loaded calipers for $100/pair.

Chris G. ~ 98 Mystique LS ATX
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Yes,it is straightforward.

It helps to have compressed air. Use either a block of wood or the old brake pad to catch the piston and use compressed air to blow the piston out of the caliper. Apply the air through the hose attaching hole.

It also helps to use compressed air to reinstall the piston.

While the piston is out, clean the bore with brake clean and a lint free rag. Replace the square cut "O" ring on the piston. Replace the boot seal on the caliper. Liberally lubricate the piston, bore, and lips of the seals with FRESH BRAKE FLUID. With the help of an assistant if needed, apply compressed air gently through the hose attaching hole while holding the piston right above the bore. When you get the pressure just right and hold the piston just right, the piston will slide right in as the boot swells out around it.

Do your best to at least find compressed air to blow the piston out. It usually is difficult to get it out without. With patience and strong hands you may be able to twist and rock the piston until it comes out.

Without compressed air, the piston can be reinserted using a bent paperclip to slide around the piston and pull the boot away just enough to get the piston through. It may help to cock the piston to one side while engaging the boot but before hitting the bore.

Have fun.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
How the heck do you work on a car without an air compressor?

Thanks for the how-to. Should make things a snap.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard