Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by TGO:
Originally posted by RawBurt...:

You do NOT!!!! have to pull the motor for this. Find another mechanic.

you do have to pull the axle out though right??

nope ....

the ford manual tells you to along with the y-pipe, and who knows what else ... all you need to do is remove the tierod end, maybe, the last one I did we didn't have to, you need the extentions to get at the bolts and then you twist and turn the alternator until it come out ...

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
one shope quoted me $450 so I called the shop next door who said they would do it for $300

98.5 SVT FOR SALE $5000
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by BrApple:

nope ....

It would make it alot easier when removing the alternator. But it can be done without removing it. Unbolt the tie rod end and thats it.

I
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
I
Call a local Mercury dealer and get a quote. I've always found them to be cheaper than Ford Stealerships.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B

nope ....

It would make it alot easier when removing the alternator. But it can be done without removing it. Unbolt the tie rod end and thats it.

that is what I said already...

nope ....

the ford manual tells you to along with the y-pipe, and who knows what else ... all you need to do is remove the tierod end , maybe, the last one I did we didn't have to, you need the extentions to get at the bolts and then you twist and turn the alternator until it come out ...

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
BrApple, stop being gh3y... Seriously that comment was unnecessary. I'm trying to help this guy out, as are you... So STFU with the stupid comments

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
BrApple, stop being gh3y... Seriously that comment was unnecessary. I'm trying to help this guy out, as are you... So STFU with the stupid comments

sure you are trying to help but what did you say that added anything else useful to this thread

you could have added something useful like this:

note on the extensions for the bolts, the one on the block you want to come up the side of the pre-cat and the others can be reached from coming across the bottom of the engine from the drivers side of the car

the accessory belt is easiest to take off with one person releasing pressure from the tensioner from the top of the engine bay while someone else removes the belt from the pulleys from the bottom, reverse to reinstall belt

don't forget the splash shields need to be removed

the tie rod end is keyed for an allen wrnech so that you can get the nut off ...

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
What the hell are you talking about...

1. This is not a competition, so seriously STOP!
2. Extension order and placement is ALL noted in the how to.
3. WTF does the accessory belt has nothing to do with the alternator replacement. Maybe we are talking about the serpentine belt which comes off by relieving the tensioner with a 3/8" ratchet (IIRC, or 1/2"). Kind of a two person job... THIS IS ALSO IN THE HOW TO!
4. Splash sheilds refering to what? The splash gaurd does not need to be removed. There are two removable sheilds within the wheelwell that need to be removed. This is also in the how to!!
5. I dont know what you are talking about being keyed by an allen wrench... ? Removed the freaking nut and tuck it off to the side. Wow this is in the how to as well...

Stop being an asshat BrApple

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
who said this was a competition

never read the how-to so I don't know what it says

what do you call the alternator, ps pump and ac compressor, accesories and they are driven by a belt ... so put two and two together and an accessory belt is the same as a serpentine belt ...

the splash shield I was refering to are the removable shields in the wheel well, I called it a splash shield becasue the cars originally didn't have those and water would splash into the belt area and cause the belt to slip, therfor causing lose of ps, ac, alternator until the belt stopped slipping ...

often when you go to remove the tie rod end the tie rod will come free before you can get the nut off. you do know the tie rod end has a tapered fitting, so when you tighten teh nut down it basically locks itself in. now if you jus thit it with air tools you might have issues and mess the thread up. So to keep the pin portion of the tie rob end from comming free of the taper and spinning freely thus not allowing you to remove the nut the end has been cut for a 7mm allen wrench, iirc the size corretly, this will keep the thread from turning and allow one to work the nut off it does become a problem ...

asshat, lol thats rich ...

M
OP Offline
M
Well i did some checkin around for pricing on having a shop do it and the best i got was canadian tire for $433.19 parst labour and taxes included,not to shabby. I think iam gonna go that way. Iam not the most mechanically inclined person better left to the pros then me lol. I just wanna say thanks agian, you guys just saved me 400 hundred bucks.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard