Next Thread
Print Thread
V
vincom Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
V
i have a 1998 contour zetec atx, car starts fine, smoth idle, after driving it when car reaches normal temp, car has rough idle, steering wheel vibration. could this still be the engine mount, or pcv valve, vacuum hoses, or plugs

canadian, 98 mystique LS sport 2.5L atx 98 contour se 2.0 L atx 00 300m
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
My understanding is that this is commonly caused by motor mounts on these vehicles. Use the search function on this board and you will find a number of postings on the same subject.

/Eric

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada '96 Mystique GS, ATX
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
With engine running, put it in Park or Neutral. Do the symptoms go away?
Then put it in Drive. Does it go worse?

If yes, then most probably the tranny/engine mounts as posted by Mystic.

Last edited by Tony2005; 07/13/06 03:04 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
On my Mystique, it was the motor mounts doing this, specifically the top one over the belts. You post98 guys have a different style mount though, so I'd have a mechanic check it out. Trust me, it is worth it to take this one to someone who has a lift

If you'd like to know why, just look at my sig.

J.T. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 294ci V8. Custom CAI, headers on the way... 1997 Mercury Mystique Zetec ATX Deceased February 2006
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
if you got steering wheel shaking during driving then make sure your tires arn't out of round(the weights out of ballance) or the tires just need to be replaced.
I had all my mounts replaced when I had the engine overhauled and I have little to zero engine vib now. I had the steering wheel vibe while driving so I had new tires put on and ballanced. I did all 4 tires when I did this.

99 Ford Contour SE T Red XM Radio CD/MP3 Player Aftermarket Wheel covers debadged
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
just curious to know if that vibration could lead to big problems or not. Had it happening on my car but I deemed it of little signifigance, am I correct in thinking so?

95 Merc Stique Zetec 2.0 Auto

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard