G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
By CEGer Goonz SVT
Edited and suggestions added by GTO Pete

Purpose:
To bring back the black color to your faded windsheild side strips. It's fast and easy and will require you to leave them overnight for the paint to dry.

Tools/Materials:
- flat head screw driver or anything you use to pry off things
- spray paint
- sandpaper
Added
- primer
- clearcoat
- large piece of cardboard to work on or newspaper

1. Take the strips off
The strips are snapped in by clips, so you will need some force to pry them out. Just use your hands to kind of pull them out as much as you can and the rest can be done by the screw driver. Once you see whats happening, you'll get what to do.

2. Sand
Sand the strips down as much as you can, make sure its not all the way to where you can see the metal. You want it scuffed thoroughly. Wash thoroughly and dry.

3. Primer
Lay the strips down on the cardboard or newspaper (careful with newspaper and wind) and apply 2-3 light coats of primer down. Just follow the directions on the can.

4. Paint
For Paint I used the Krylon Fusion Paint (black) cause thats what they are suppose to look like but you guys may be creative and try a different color.

Apply light even coats. 2-4 coats. Just follow the direcitons on the can.

5. Clearcoat - optional
If you want your strips to have added protection and/or a glossy look apply 2-3 coats of clearcoat. Just follow the direcitons on the can.

6. Reinstall
Let the strips dry overnight and reinstall.

=How-to Prevent strip fading=
Treat them like you treat your paint! Wax them with a good sealant. Use quick detailing spray after every wash. 6+ years doing this on my now sold SVT and they looked brand new.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Good sticky!

I soooo need to do this, mine look like arse. Damn cheap materials used by Ford.

2000 SVT Contour - Silver # 1675/2150 For Sale195/55/15 Bridgestone Blizzaks on Steelies <10k miles - $300 PM me for more info
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
oh my, I made this like LOOOONG time ago..

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I must do this as well... screw back to black.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Can we get some pics of how this looks when painted body color on SF, T-Red, or Green.

SOLD Polarg M-28 super bright white bulbs. Replace yellow stock license plate bulbs. See add in classifieds. WANTED:: EVO style CF hood
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by teamSVTour:
Can we get some pics of how this looks when painted body color on SF, T-Red, or Green.

really don't think that anyone has done that yet ...

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by BrApple:
Originally posted by teamSVTour:

really don't think that anyone has done that yet ...

Honestly i think that any other color than black would look bad, just because of the way the strips flow into the cowl.

kevin m 98 T-red mystique gs zetec ATX | my ride |
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
How close does the Krylon black match the Ford factory black? Ie. would it be possable to do the front grill and rear reflector in Krylon Black? I'm dying to get them done.

-------------------- 1999 Black/Tan CSVT #2658 of 2760 201,000+km - K&N, Magnecor race wires, Optima red top, BAT Euro Kit, KVR CF pads, PIAA Plasma Ion bulbs. 1989 Yamaha FZR600 - 40,000+km - K&N Pods, Stage 3 Jets, V&H 4-1 exhaust
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
actually GTOPete / Goonz, uh what I wanna ask you. If we "FORCE" or "PRY" these off, won't we technically break things off here and there and need to apply some sort of adhesive to reapply them? Also would a picture of a before/after be available so we can see the final results? Finally, is there a specific grit sand paper we should use?

Last edited by m4gician; 07/08/06 03:33 AM.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by m4gician:
Finally, is there a specific grit sand paper we should use?

I'd use 240 to 320 grit. You don't want to go to ruff or to smooth. If you sand the primer, use 400.

Slow Vehicles in Training 01' Lightning 99' SVTC
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard