Print Thread
#1604674 07/06/06 08:11 AM
B
bradSVT Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I have been reading the forums about the Torsen being shimmed and I cannot find anywhere about the shims going on before the speedo gear or bearings that are pressed. I have no real experience with transmissions so I wanted to see if it was possible for me to shim the tranny or if I should take it in to a place to get it done for the quoted â??350-1200â? dollars that I found out today. This is sort of an early post, I am sure I could figure it out once my bellhousing is taken apart but I have work all week and it has something that I have been wondering.

Thanks a lot!

(Also is the differential the only part of the tranny that is shimmed?)

3L process done
#1604675 07/06/06 12:25 PM
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by bradSVT:
I have been reading the forums about the Torsen being shimmed and I cannot find anywhere about the shims going on before the speedo gear or bearings that are pressed. I have no real experience with transmissions so I wanted to see if it was possible for me to shim the tranny or if I should take it in to a place to get it done for the quoted â??350-1200â? dollars that I found out today. This is sort of an early post, I am sure I could figure it out once my bellhousing is taken apart but I have work all week and it has something that I have been wondering.

Thanks a lot!

suggest you read the Ford CD,MTX section.The shims
go into the cases,under the bearings NOT on the diff!

Originally posted by bradSVT:

(Also is the differential the only part of the tranny that is shimmed?)

ALL of the taper roller bearings in an MTX are shimmed for bearing preload/unload adjustment,diff,input shaft and output shaft.....and if you don't have the correct tools to
set up preloads leave it to a pro!

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard