Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
So my rear sway bar bracket was totally destroyed after some spirited driving this weekend.
What are my options? Obviously I could replace the whole subframe, but I'd rather not. Is it possible to weld in some pieces to remake the mount and then weld in the bracket?

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Just go to a junkyard and get a new bracket and bolt it in unless the mounting areas are FUBAR'd.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
it looks like you only lost the bushing and the bracket broke.
the subframe seems to be ok.
do as todras said and get another bracket from a yard.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by ElKy:
it looks like you only lost the bushing and the bracket broke.
the subframe seems to be ok.
do as todras said and get another bracket from a yard.

looks to me that part of the bracket is gone, you can still see the end where the clamp slot in but where is the bolt hole on the other end for the clamp, the bushing, clamp and part of the mounting surface has disappeared

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
S
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by BrApple:
but where is the bolt hole on the other end for the clamp, the bushing, clamp and part of the mounting surface has disappeared

It's all gone, there's nothing to mount too.
I'm wondering if I can just rebuild the mount (by weldinf in some peieces) and then weld in the bushing/bracket. Is that even worth it?

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Subframe time

Access to tools will be your only factor. The cheapest and quickest way would be to find 2 sockets that fit the alginment holes, and a trip to a junkyard for a subframe. 18mm, 15mm, 17mm, 13mm, 14mm, sockets and wrenchs will be needed, 1/2 drive breaker-bar and spraying the subframe to chassis bolts a few days to insure one doesn't break off. Beefing up would be more, and more time. Bradness offers this, but he is doing alot so if there is a time factor might not be your option (he would also have to hit a junkyard first), Bat is another option but not sure if they still offer a subframe ($$).

As far as the brackets go, I have 2 if you think you need them, I'll send them to you for nothing, let me know

Last edited by jd2-98s; 07/06/06 03:29 AM.

JD a.k.a Fingers "Don't Panic" '98 Contour GL 2.0L VCT ATX 88k '98 Contour LX 2.5L MTX 120k Street racing can kill just less of a chance with a 2.0
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Time for some of this..

Which leads to this..

I can't believe I didn't actually take finished pics..

Was not that difficult to actually do - the process of tearing it down to this point and putting it back together took the most time. Be sure to watch out for gas tank clearance when adding brackets .

J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J

JD a.k.a Fingers "Don't Panic" '98 Contour GL 2.0L VCT ATX 88k '98 Contour LX 2.5L MTX 120k Street racing can kill just less of a chance with a 2.0

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard