Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SVTake2 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S

The link explains the situation I'm in. Whatever got sucked into the intake chewed up the #1 piston and I need to find a single piston to replace it. The dealership only sells short blocks and the machine shop says if they can get pistons they will only be able to get a set of 6. The wreckers around here only sold entire engines as well. So if anybody had any idea where I can get a 3L piston out of an oval port 01+ that would be grand.

98.5 Black contour // A.K.A. Frankenstein 3L Oval port swap W P&P // SVT UIM, LIM, & Cams Torsen LSD // Dual Friction // KKM // Poly Mounts // ?Mystery Mod? // Actually Running! 205 hp @ 6500RPM 180 tq @ 4250RPM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
JUST finished this ordeal.. you CAN order one piston. It is complete with the rod, wrist pin, and rings OR just the piston.

COMPLETE setup was like.. 25x.00 for the escape 3L. There was a build date break-down and before 11Jan(IIRC) it was only 5x.xx for the assembly, afterwards was 25x.xx

Call Bill Jenkins, Team Ford LV, and ask for it. You CAN get a single piston.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I have a set of 04 Escape pistons for sale minus a set of rings and a single c-clip for the wrist pin. PM me if interested. More info is in my sig.

Best of luck with the repairs

Then: 99 Silver Frost SVT #1919 237hp/219tq All Motor Now: 06 White STI Parts 4 sale
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by timeless420:
I have a set of 04 Escape pistons for sale minus a set of rings and a single c-clip for the wrist pin. PM me if interested. More info is in my sig.

Best of luck with the repairs

They have to be the same grade of piston before he can use yours. He must check the grade and of course the style of piston first, then compare.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
S
SVTake2 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Quote:

They have to be the same grade of piston before he can use yours. He must check the grade and of course the style of piston first, then compare.

I was wondering if there is slight differences between the escape and taurus pistons. Where do I check for the grade of the piston? My engine is from a 2003 Sable if that helps anybody.

Quote:

JUST finished this ordeal.. you CAN order one piston. It is complete with the rod, wrist pin, and rings OR just the piston.

My dealership said they didn't even sell pistons for my engine at all. Just a bearing set and rebuilt engines. So if I just took the car into the dealership and told them to fix it they would have just put a whole new engine in. Doing all the work myself has been a PIA sometimes but its sure alot better than taking it up the tailpipe from the dealer. I will call Bill and see what they say.

Quote:

I have a set of 04 Escape pistons for sale minus a set of rings and a single c-clip for the wrist pin. PM me if interested.

Would it work to just replace all 6 with the 04 escape pistons and can I just use a C clip from the bad piston?

98.5 Black contour // A.K.A. Frankenstein 3L Oval port swap W P&P // SVT UIM, LIM, & Cams Torsen LSD // Dual Friction // KKM // Poly Mounts // ?Mystery Mod? // Actually Running! 205 hp @ 6500RPM 180 tq @ 4250RPM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
The pistons are manufactured seperately from the block... they aren't "made" for THAT block. there are going to be some varianced in piston size, etc.

So, they get all the pfinished pistons together and mark them with "grades" 1, 2, 3, etc. those grades reflect which size it took to fill the cylinder the best. If you were to purchase his pistons (6 of them) it wouldn't be INCREASING your odds of fixing the problem. you'd now have to have 6 pistons that ALL ended up matching the same grade as the piston(s) you are replacing.

The only thing that buying all of them would do is increase the number of potential grades you could choose from, in hopes to match.

Just call Bill J, tell him your year, see if they even OFFERED a grade difference that year, and if not you can order then. if so, you need to know the difference, by looking at the number stamped on the piston head.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W

Well there ya go! 'Nuff said...as some people say.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
S
SVTake2 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Alright well I found a piston in a ford parts warehouse in my province and it�s a good thing. I called bill and he said he didn't have one in stock and it was back ordered for a month! I also have new rod bearings, rings, and gaskets for my top end. What I have to decide now is if I want to bother replacing the Main Crankshaft bearings. I didn't realize that the bottom bolt were TTY and this little surprise repair has stretched my budget enough as it is. Is it worth the money? The engine has less than 20K (according to LKQ when I purchased it) and It will never see another track day that is for sure. I've scrapped the nitrous idea (kit already half installed but I might be tempted to autox every once in a while.
Believe me I love my contour and I can live with a money pit, but it is turning into a money vortex. Just keep that in mind.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
definetaly swap in clevite rod bearings. i wouldnt worry bout the mains. not to mention its alot of $$$ just for the bottom end girdle bolts. i did just the rod bearings

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
S
SVTake2 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Alright I Picked up new Cleavite 77 bearings, a new piston and new rod bolts for the other 5 pistons. My question is should I try to replace all the bearings from the underside of the car or pull each piston out, install bearings and then compress the springs and put the pistons back in?

Also I need to find the Torque specs for the 3L rod bolts. I only trq specs for my 2.5 SVT at the moment and my factory ford CD is MIA and stupid me didn't back it up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard