Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
I need to break in the new engine and was wondering if running the engine rich would cause any damage to any components. I got 24# injectors no secondaries and a stock ECU, so lets just say its running a little funky.

Someone mentioned today that running rich could burn a whole in the pistons, but I thought that only happened if you are running lean. I am also getting back fire every so often. Also does it hurt the valves to run the engine with only headers and y-pipe? Thanks for the help.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Running rich isn't going to burn a hole in your piston. However, if the car is a SVT setup, I'd stick with the 19# during breakin to be safe, especially if its a new block, etc. If its used junkyard one, then breakin isn't really needed and I'd think you'd be ok with the 24#

Ryan Trollin!
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
And I wouldn't use the 24s at all unless you had a way to compensate for them.
Running that rich fouls everything faster, requires more frequent oil changes, fouls/destroys the catalyst, sucks more gas.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Somehting I've seen on high mileage vehicles w/ leaky injectors is bore washdown, where the excess fuel washes the oil film off the wall of the cylinder leading to irregular ring wear. I'd guess in your situation, you may experience something similar which could result in poor or irregular ring sealing.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
Originally posted by Rara:
Somehting I've seen on high mileage vehicles w/ leaky injectors is bore washdown, where the excess fuel washes the oil film off the wall of the cylinder leading to irregular ring wear. I'd guess in your situation, you may experience something similar which could result in poor or irregular ring sealing.

Agreed. Oil wash can kill the temper on a set of rings real quick. Once the ring temper is lost, it'll be burning oil for ever...

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
R
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
I'll probably resist from driving it until I get the SVT ECU installed then. I will have to drive it up to the dealership buts that's only 6 miles.

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard