Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
K
It was a sad day here in Detroit as Steve Yzerman announced his retirement, probably one of the worst kept secrets ever! I got turned onto hockey around 1993, but even before that when I ate, slept and drank baseball growing up, I knew who he was and how great he was. Once I did get turned onto hockey though I was hooked, period! He's already regarded as one of the greatest athletes to ever play in Detroit and lets condider his "company"...

-Barry Sanders
-Al Kaline
-Ty Cobb
-Alan Tramell
-Lou Whitaker
-Isiah Thomas
-Joe Dumars
-Joe Louis
-Tommy Hearns

...and now Steve Yzerman

I'd like to hear your thoughts on Steve from a Canadian perspective, thanks

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Thats a damn shame. He was an all around great hockey player. He was a great 2-way player but his awareness of where people were on the ice and his play making ability was amazing.

SOLD Polarg M-28 super bright white bulbs. Replace yellow stock license plate bulbs. See add in classifieds. WANTED:: EVO style CF hood
E
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
E
I drove by the JLA today well after the presser, but there were still a few tv trucks and fans outside. Too many memories to single one out. I was elated when they finally won the first Cup (of this era), great vindication considering how much flak he took from the "experts" and fans alike during the let downs. And as many Wings fans as there are in Windsor it could be pretty tough at times growing up as a Wings and Yzerman fan.

He's always been my favourite of he Detroit sports stars, I actually wrote about him for a school application essay (excerpts follow):

In this day and age, when social pundits bemoan the deterioration of family values and parents tend to defer their roles to television babysitting and celebrity idolism, I consider myself fortunate to have had an upbringing contrary to popular trends. Within my family I have numerous examples of role models and mentors. In a twist of irony, my family has always drawn on sports for examples of lessons applicable to life in general. Steve Yzerman, captain of the Detroit Red Wings, personified the qualities I held in high regard for a sports leader and he served as a model for me on conducting oneself as a professional, leading by mutual respect, and persevering through difficult challenges.

Steve Yzerman became the youngest team captain in professional hockey and rose into the ranks of its elite players. As his teammates improved, he deferred individual statistics for the good of the team, but even with rising expectations the Red Wings of the 1990s remained disappointments. Critics believed he was too passive to ever lead the team to a championship. I admired Yzerman, however, for avoiding the fire and brimstone routines; on the contrary, he lead by example, through his dedication to training, along with his rehabilitations from potentially career-ending injuries, and his professional conduct which was devoid of public criticisms of teammates. But this did not end the questions about his leadership, which even pervaded his team�s management, who on the verge of trading him away, were stopped only by a rousing arena ovation that illustrated the deep support and respect the fans had developed for not only the player, but Yzerman as a person.

Steve Yzerman went on to lead Detroit to three championships, but it was at the 2002 Winter Olympics that the world came to appreciate all these qualities I have long observed and respected. No longer considered a modern superstar, Yzerman was added as a role player to the Canadian team. But despite playing on a badly injured knee he emerged as a team leader and lead Team Canada to the gold medal. Fortunate enough to have witnessed the event in Salt Lake City, those images were permanently ingrained in memory and served as inspiration to face the challenges of pursuing medical studies...Steve Yzerman�s path to success is more than a model of inspiration for my endeavors, it is also a validation of the convictions I hold professionally and personally.

M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
He was always the guy I would want on the Team Canada team, and one of the most traded for players in all my NHL games. Great passer, and amazing on ice capabilities. This isn't much of a surprise as he's 41, but I'd like to see him back at least in coaching. Good bye Stevie Y, we'll miss you. I always wanted to see you in a leafs uniform!

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
K
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
K
Very well said ESC

I like the fact that he changed his entire style of play when Scotty got there, showing everyone it wasn't all about him. I mean he was a scoring machine that didn't play defense and then, when Scotty showed him the way, things payed off, big time. I just wished they'd won about 2 more cups, IMO they should've won about 5 from 1992 to present. In any case, the championships that the Wings did win will live forever in my memories, especially 1997 when we were downtown for the entire celebration aftewards, IT WAS AWESOME

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00

Moderated by  Gerald_dup1, mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard