Print Thread
#1603023 07/03/06 06:21 PM
T
TGO Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Finally got around to detailing my car saturday, and my stock wheels are in pretty bad shape. There's some kind of rust colored stuff caked all over one of them and i can't get it off by conventional means. My next step is to take an abraisive pad and clean it off that way...which will scuff up the surface. The plan is to then take a fine sandpaper and scuff up the rest of the visible part of them rim and clear coat over it. I'm going to have them off the car soon to switch so summer rims, so it would be the perfect time to do it...and the others if needed. Any other tips?? I'm not worried about them being perfect, just presentable.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
I had the same exact rust stuff on my rims and I couldn't find anything that would take it off. I asked around and I was recommended to get this stuff called "Never-Dull." I found it at murrarys for $4 and it has many many uses such as making your rims look like new. It easily took all the rust color off of my E0 rims and my SE sport rims. I am sure you can find it at most auto stores or online.

If you do go the route of resurfacing the rim, you might as well repaint the rims and not just reclearcoat them.

-Reebs-

For Sale - 96 Tour Sport 2.5L MTX with SVT Exhaust, pre 98 trunklid with newer Contour Sport spoiler instead of lip spoiler, newer Contour sport rims. Newer paint job. Brand new floor mats. Rust Free! PM me for details and pics.
T
TGO Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
it's not a stain as much as it is some crap that's just stuck on the wheel. I can't get it off by hand. I don't know what it is...

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Neverdull is actually meant for bare metal. I wouldn't make a habit out of using it on the stock rims. I used to get the same residue on my E1's. I think the discoloration is from the rust that forms on the rotors after they get wet. When you drive it, the wheels get blasted with the rust residue. I always used Meguiars Body Scrub, which took it off pretty easily. If not that, maybe try a mild polishing compound. I'd personally try to avoid painting the rims unless you're going to strip the entire finish off first. Every time I've seen someone try that, they always end up with a nasty, flaking paint finish.

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Get some goo gone and some mild steel wool. Got rid of my stains on my E0's. Make sure and wash and hose them after.

98 T-Red SVT -- TH/BAT Tranny -- SPEC Clutch & Flywheel Torsen - Keyed Tower - Custom shift forks Optimized TB - B&M Shifter - Elky Mesh - Indiglo
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I would not use steel wheel as it could scratch the clear coat on painted SVT wheels. I have use Mother Clay bar w/ really good results. It will take some elbow grease and time so be prepared to have a couple hours of free time. It has worked well for me. My E1's look brand new. Make sure to put several coates of wax on them when your done and to keep them waxed. This will in the future make the break dust/rusty buildup come off fairly easy with just soap and water.

SOLD Polarg M-28 super bright white bulbs. Replace yellow stock license plate bulbs. See add in classifieds. WANTED:: EVO style CF hood
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
You might try clay-barring it. I had a couple of spots like that and no cleaner I tried got it off. On a whim, while I was claying my rockers, I gave the wheel a quick hit. Came right off!! It's worth a shot, as the clay wouldn't force you to re-clear.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
T
TGO Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Jason43:
Neverdull is actually meant for bare metal. I wouldn't make a habit out of using it on the stock rims.

again, these are merely "winter" rims at this point. the finish on them is not in great shape to begin with.

I have tried some polishing compound, as well as every wheel cleaner/dish soap compbination i could think of.

This is literally a "crust" of rust and god knows what else. I can't even chip it off with my fingernail. I will try the clay bar, if i can find the one i had lying around here, otherwise i'm gonna get one of those abraisive scrub pads( not steel wool, the green ones) and be as careful as possible. If i damage the surface in that area i'll spray that, just so it isn't exposed.

thanks everyone.

M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Well what you could try, and believe me this is a long process is take the wheels off, leave the tires on if you want, and sand those wheels well. Sand the old finish off them. Use something like BONDO to seal up the rust and cracks etc. Coat it well, sand it again. Primer it with sandable primer. Sand it again to make it even. Paint it a new colour (yes colour), sand, recoat, and then clear coat, and if possible another clear coat. Now your rims will look at is if they were touched up. I've seen someone do it for their Lancer, it wasn't bad, and they painted them black so they looked okay.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard