Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
V
Ok, so I want to get rid of my stock SVT intake and replace it with a cold air intake. I'm looking at the customcougars CAI kit which goes for $150 shipped. The problem I have with this kit is that it is made for the cougar MAF, so the MAF adapter is only 3" instead of the CSVT 3.5".

So, here is my option #2:
-85mm MAF adapter ($39)
-3.0" to 3.5" Silicone Reducer ($19)
-3.0" U-Bend Exhaust piping ($30)
-3.0" ID K&N Filter ($38)
TOTAL: ($126)
This option would give me a MAF adapter in the correct size, with a transition back to the 3" piping and a 3" filter, but retain the stock "accordian hose" between MAF and TB

My third option would be the same as #2 but instead of 3" piping before the MAF, use 3.5" piping and a 3.5" filter. This would probably add another $60-$80 to the total as 3.5" U-bends are difficult to find. I also don't know if there is enough room to fit 3.5" piping in that area.

My question is: Would option #2 have ANY benefit over the customcougars CAI? From what I can remember from my fluid dynamics class, it shouldn't, since the air is being pulled from the same ID pipe either way. I know option #3 is the best, I just don't think that I would be able to make it fit.

Sorry for the long post.

Matt

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
or just do the cheapest and most tried and true and just get a MAF adapter and K&N filter. Then make a heat sheild. Or you can do some big pipe bs and get a little cooler air for no real noticable difference for double the price.

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
V
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
V
Originally posted by posthuman63t:
or just do the cheapest and most tried and true and just get a MAF adapter and K&N filter. Then make a heat sheild.

True, there is that ~$75 option as well.

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Get your bigger MAF adapter. Then go to Ebay and get a piece of 3" OD intake piping. I got mine for $20 for a 15" piece. You only need about 6-8 of it. The one i bought already had one nipple on it for my valve cover vents cause i have a separator that ties them into one. Then go to Home Depot/Lowe's and get a 1/2" brass tube. It should be like $1 and drill a hole in the Ebay bought intake pipe. The i8 mixed up a little JB weld for the 1/2" tube that is now for my IACV. Let that dry. Get a couple of silicon couplers and a filter, and your good to go.

Total cost of my new intake was about $50 plus the filter and couplers i already had.

1999 Cougar V6 MTX SVT UIM/LIM/65mm TB, I/H/E, Fidanza/SPEC III/Torsen, Koni/GC's, 19" Icon wheels w/ Pirelli rubber, NX Wet Kit

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard