Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Well my 2.5L duratec has an oil leak (wow, I thought ford's last forever!) Actually the leak is a small small crack in the oil pan. Between oil changes I've been using silicone seal to stop leaks, both around the plug and on the crack. Now, my question simply is, should I replace the oil pan or repair it (i.e. welding it). The problem is I went to the junk yard and all they do is poke a hole in every oil pan so even If i did remove it, it'll have a hole in it. Secondly if I would lean towards replacement, is there ANOTHER oil pan that'll fit? Like maybe the Escape oil pan (just being hopeful). If so, please gimme your recommenddations and include a cost. A guy I know says $150 for labour and used pan will do for a replacement, but I feel that's a rip. I'd like to get the CEG input, thanks in advanced guys.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by m4gician:
Well my 2.5L duratec has an oil leak (wow, I thought ford's last forever!) Actually the leak is a small small crack in the oil pan. Between oil changes I've been using silicone seal to stop leaks, both around the plug and on the crack. Now, my question simply is, should I replace the oil pan or repair it (i.e. welding it). The problem is I went to the junk yard and all they do is poke a hole in every oil pan so even If i did remove it, it'll have a hole in it. Secondly if I would lean towards replacement, is there ANOTHER oil pan that'll fit? Like maybe the Escape oil pan (just being hopeful). If so, please gimme your recommenddations and include a cost. A guy I know says $150 for labour and used pan will do for a replacement, but I feel that's a rip. I'd like to get the CEG input, thanks in advanced guys.

First off, why the hell do they poke a hole in the oil pan? That seems stupid.... Whats the point in that... No matter though... If you want a good oil pan, check out www.ctamotorsports.com They sell the 3L baffled oil pan (for better oil circulation) there for about $159... yeah, its a little pricey, but this supposedly helps increase rod bearing life, which is a common concern for any duratec owner.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
I am in the same boat; the USS Leaky Oil Pan.

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Welding aluminum isn't the easiest thing to do, nor the most common kind of welding tech to find. I tried it.. hairline crack in the oilpan, one drip ever 5 minutes or so.. welded it and it leaked steadil afterwards..

3L escape and 2.5 both use the same updated (baffled) oilpan
120.xx from Bill Jenkins.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Ray:
Welding aluminum isn't the easiest thing to do, nor the most common kind of welding tech to find. I tried it.. hairline crack in the oilpan, one drip ever 5 minutes or so.. welded it and it leaked steadil afterwards..

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
SO what pan would you recommend I replace my current one with? It does have a hairline crack, would it best to get a replacement from a 2.5L duratec, or a 3L pan from the Escape/Taurus? Would installation fit the same (plug and play fitting into the same screw holes)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
I have my old oil pan with new gasket. PM me.

Black 1998.5 3L Oval Port Full HMS Transmission Lots of other stuff Ressurected 06/14/06
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Before you get a new one, take off the old one and JB Weld it. Did it to mine 2 years ago after I put a significant crack in it (don't ask, I was being a dumb 17 yr old). Did taht as a last-ditch effort and has held since, no leaks. The gasket has leaked ever since (yes, I made sure it was not the crack) and I tried to put a new one on there and with the limited tools I have here I ended up having it towed to the delaership for them to fix it and it still leaks aftet $259!!! Anyway, try the JB Weld, If you clean it up good it should be ok.

95 LX-with a mind of its own 24v DOHC SVT exhaust and K&N=all thats worth modding Go Fighting Sioux!!!
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E

I know of like 3 places off the top of my head that does aluminum welding. Guess that is one advantage of living in northern MN...so many boats/pontoons that need to be fixed, aluminium welding is common place.

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by elraido:

I know of like 3 places off the top of my head that does aluminum welding. Guess that is one advantage of living in northern MN...so many boats/pontoons that need to be fixed, aluminium welding is common place.

Gotta agree with ya there. I can think of at least 4-5 in our town of 5000, not to mention they taught us that in shop class in HS. I still say JB Weld, I checked the pan yesterday and its bone dry, guess the dealership really did fix the seal right. And JB Weld costs like $5 at a store compared to whatever it would cost to weld it and I have had zero trouble with the crack for 2 years and 20k, and this is everything from driving in -30 in MN to now where its in 100+ in Orlando, FL.

95 LX-with a mind of its own 24v DOHC SVT exhaust and K&N=all thats worth modding Go Fighting Sioux!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard