Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1602651 07/02/06 05:45 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Fist post, lurking for awhile....My wife has a 96 Contour SE with V6 and auto. The prob is the cooling fans don't appear to be kicking in. Drive the car around and the temp stays around the "m" most of the time till she stops at a light, with it still in gear the temp starts to climb,she never has stopped long enough to let it get past the "L". Searched for the prob, have done the following..pulled relays and jumped them- fans spin strong. Tried the A/C thing even though our A/C is bypassed(clutch siezed and took out 2 belts, before it was diagnosed), fans don't kick in at all. Another thing was to test the "ECT plug", what is this and where do I find it? The rad hoses get warm so its not the pump and she blows plenty of heat. Stays cooler if running at speed, on the highway.

Any help would be appreciated...Mike D

#1602652 07/02/06 06:25 PM
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Check your fuses. If that is fine then the engine coolant Temperature sensor (ECT) may be the culprit. There also is a wiring harness problem with the 95 contour... So check your harnesses.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
#1602653 07/02/06 07:36 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Okay found the ECT , above the starter, pointing to the fire wall. Unplugged it, started the car and both fans came on full tilt. So its either the ECT itself, which looks like a [censored] to change and get at, or its a wiring prob.Because when I hooked the ECT back up the fans would not start.

How can you test the wiring for a prob and the ECT?

MikeD aka CanadaMike

#1602654 07/02/06 08:01 PM
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by ice-cold:
Okay found the ECT , above the starter, pointing to the fire wall. Unplugged it, started the car and both fans came on full tilt. So its either the ECT itself, which looks like a [censored] to change and get at, or its a wiring prob.Because when I hooked the ECT back up the fans would not start.

How can you test the wiring for a prob and the ECT?

MikeD aka CanadaMike

I would honestly love to tell you a method of testing it... but unfortunately, I dont think there is one, Im looking in my haynes manual and they dont have any testing procedures listed... you would probably have to remove it anyways if you found a way to test it.. I would say you might be right on the money though it seems like that might be your problem... Wells has that sensor for $25 at autozone. maybe a good pickup...

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
#1602655 07/02/06 08:20 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Well went digging and found this..
http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=28

Will give it a try but it does look like wifie will have to take my car on the trip to Calgary...can't run the car without cooling fans or without the sensor hooked up...

#1602656 07/03/06 12:45 AM
I
OP Offline
I
okay replaced the ECT sensor...no change, no fans...so i am going to start by replacing the relays in the fuse box...then i guess its wire chasing time...I hate that job. Anybody know of any short cuts, ie. where to start?

#1602657 07/03/06 04:43 AM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
When you jumper tested the fan relays, did you get low speed and high speed? If low speed was missing, the resistor R27 or wiring under the battery fuse box is the problem. Here is a schematic to help you out. Relays can certainly fail as well. The clutch and pulley can be replaced on the a/c compressor. Did you unplug the clutch, or use a short belt? I am fairly sure the fan would come on with a/c switched on even if the clutch is unplugged.

[image][/image]

#1602658 07/03/06 05:31 AM
I
OP Offline
I
When I jumpered the fans , I pulled both relays and used a jumper to connect slots 3 and 5. Should I have left a relay in and jumpered them one at a time? When i hooked them up, the fan(s) came on fairly hard.
Where is this resister R27 located? I have a feeling it was just high, now I think about it.
As to the A/C, went with the short belt, wifie does not like A/C, says its to cold.
Mike D

#1602659 07/04/06 02:25 AM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Turn off ignition key, Pull both relays, try 3-5 jumps on one socket, then try the other, compare speeds. Check owner's manual which ones they are to be sure before jumpering. The resistor is down low, on the fan housing, and sometimes do fail.

#1602660 07/04/06 04:00 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Well the wife took the car and said it ran great all the way to Calgary (300 and something kilometers)...will look at it on Thursday when she is back. From what I remember, they came on with the same intensity, which ever one I jumpered.
Thanks for all the help..Mike D

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard