Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
The grill is starting to peel and a lot of the chrome is not blackening, I was wondeirng is there a method to "re-chrome" the grill or to make it look like new again? For those with Mystiques , you know what I'm talking about, especially if you picked up yours used. If not, is there an exact match paint for the Silver mystiques out there?

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
mmmmmm...body color...mmmmmmm
dont mind the missing lower grille lol

kevin m 98 T-red mystique gs zetec ATX | my ride |
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
i love that hood.. to bad the contour does not have a nice stock hood.

G/f's black 99se sport 5 speed 2 1/2 test pipe-custom cat back 3 single tip cai with kn3530 safc optimized tb 8mm plug wires spec stage 1 clutch svt front bumper
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by mystiquevltwin:

Damn that pic makes me want to swap my Contour over to a Mystique front fascia!

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:
Originally posted by mystiquevltwin:

Damn that pic makes me want to swap my Contour over to a Mystique front fascia!

I know what you mean, I like the mystique post97 front end better then the post97 contour front end. The hood looks a lot better, the grill is bigger and better to work with... stique = hawt

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Okay well what do I need to paint the grill body colour. Being the idiot that I am I spray painted the grill with a chrome finish which looks absolutely ghetto. What kind of sandpaper would I need (what grit) as well as, is there a good spray primer you could recommend? If I obtain the body colour (silver frost) how much would a small application be? And finally, would I need a CLEAR COAT (spray), and if so what brand would be good? If you guys can answer these, I'm off the the store yesterday!

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by m4gician:
Okay well what do I need to paint the grill body colour. Being the idiot that I am I spray painted the grill with a chrome finish which looks absolutely ghetto. What kind of sandpaper would I need (what grit) as well as, is there a good spray primer you could recommend? If I obtain the body colour (silver frost) how much would a small application be? And finally, would I need a CLEAR COAT (spray), and if so what brand would be good? If you guys can answer these, I'm off the the store yesterday!

1) Ghetto = t3h bad
2) start with 150-200ish sand paper to take off the old finish, keep sanding until the faux chrome is gone, too
3) regular spray-on sandable primer from any parts store will do; a coat or two of that
4) MAKE SURE YOU GET THE EXACT COLOR CODE FOR YOUR VIN! IIRC, there are 7 or 8 different silver frost codes, check it out before you up and buy a rattle can. A paint shop here in Chattanooga mixes up PPG paints in rattle cans for sale; IIRC, they're around $15 and perfect matches everytime.
5) Clear coat is good, it's your friend, use it!

I have wet-sanded in between some applications; like between the last color and first clear coats. I don't really think it's neccesary, though; but some people swear by it. Here's my first grill:

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:
Originally posted by m4gician:

4) MAKE SURE YOU GET THE EXACT COLOR CODE FOR YOUR VIN! IIRC, there are 7 or 8 different silver frost codes, check it out before you up and buy a rattle can. A paint shop here in Chattanooga mixes up PPG paints in rattle cans for sale; IIRC, they're around $15 and perfect matches everytime.

Is there a website that'll match the colour to my VIN? I remember a site being able to do that, but how would I know?

C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
I dunno. The shop here in town looked it up to match the paint. Maybe check around some body shops in your area. Surely one of 'em can mix up a rattle can; or at least get your specific color code.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard