Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
#1601364 08/30/06 07:19 AM
B
bradSVT Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I have finally figured out the fuse blowing problem with the o2 sensor. It happened to be a bad o2 sensor that could of blown because of the two white wires being swapped and blowing the o2 sensor and then the fuse. I swapped it with a spare I had and the check engine light has gone away. So that looks good. I am also having my car tuned next week so I will try to possibly video tape some of that or get any type of info from them about numbers. I have since run into a huge problem. I posted in trouble shooting but I figured I would post here too since everyone here knows so much about 3L. Basically I donâ??t have any tools now that I am at school and need some advice on fixing this.

â??I am trying to get some ideas to where this leak could be. I have put in a 3.0L engine now and I have done the 500 mile break in period. During that period there was no leaking or problems with the car. After that time I have added another 1000 miles to it and with that I did some commuting through Los Angeles. After I drove to LA and back to SD I noticed the next morning that my car was leaking (the large puddle on the garage floor was a good indication) I looked at where it could be coming from and noticed that there was oil all over the subframe and wheel splash shield. Also the drips seem to come from more random places but much of it coming from off of the subframe. Also there was a drip on the flex pipe. It seemed like most of the oil seemed to be around the alternator. I at first thought it could be the crank pulley, but after some examination and checking for some sort of oil near it I came up short it seemed like. The dilemma is that I have no jack stands/tools to work on this, but if I can sort of figure out with some help a general area that is known to leak I could possibly rent or ask my new neighbors for tools.

Lastly I feel like the leak would need to be high since it has gotton all over the place. I felt around the top of the valve cover on the timing cover side in the rear and noticed that it was not dry. Maybe that is where it could be leaking but I am just looking for some guidance so I can get this fixed and my car tuned.

Thanks in advance!�

Hopefully this wont cost me that much money. Books are expensive!

3L process done
#1601365 08/30/06 07:31 AM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
same boat as you man...School starting...books killing my wallet, and I have the SAME LEAK! Wherever its coming from its hitting my belt because i get a spray pattern on my hood. It's not leaking terribly, but it is a good leak. I tried to look around the crank seal but it didn't seem like it was from there...But today I ordered a new seal and bolt so I'm going to replace it and see if it solves my problem. Other than that, I have no idea where it could be leaking from...valvle cover seals look fine...

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
#1601366 08/30/06 12:19 PM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Check both valve covers and possibly the timing cover.
Don't forget that the spark plug orings can leak too.

I would pay special attention to the mating surface for the valve cover where the timing cover meets the heads. This is sometimes uneven.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1601367 08/30/06 06:05 PM
B
bradSVT Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by posthuman63t:
same boat as you man...School starting...books killing my wallet, and I have the SAME LEAK! Wherever its coming from its hitting my belt because i get a spray pattern on my hood. It's not leaking terribly, but it is a good leak. I tried to look around the crank seal but it didn't seem like it was from there...But today I ordered a new seal and bolt so I'm going to replace it and see if it solves my problem. Other than that, I have no idea where it could be leaking from...valvle cover seals look fine...

Lucky that you can look around for the leak. I wish I could get some tools but I am 500 miles away from my beautiful garage. Good luck finding the spot.

Originally posted by warmonger:
Check both valve covers and possibly the timing cover.
Don't forget that the spark plug orings can leak too.

I would pay special attention to the mating surface for the valve cover where the timing cover meets the heads. This is sometimes uneven.

I thought it was most likely where the timing cover meets the heads and where the valve cover is. Somewhere back there. I called and am bringing into an auto repair place. This is the first time I have ever had too do this. I feel handicapped since I dont have my tools.

Oh well. Its going in at 8am tomorrow.

3L process done
#1601368 08/30/06 06:39 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
There are a couple of power steering hoses in that area as well - although the PS uses Dexron, yes? Check those for leaks as they will spray fluid everywhere.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
#1601369 08/30/06 07:37 PM
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
I'm guessing that you did have the valve cover off and front cover when you are they assembled the motor. If they did they might not have put gasket maker like ultra black etc where the seams are. Example the head and block have a seam where you put sealant on four spot before you put on the timing cover. And When you put the valve covers on you have 6 spots you must put sealant on too. Four between timing cover and two on intake cam cover for water pump. Alot people forget to put the sealant on the mated parts. Then If they do they forget to cut the excess off with a razor blade before installing valve cover too. Check to see if it puddling in the center of the motor and dripping down the cover on the belts.

99 SVT #198 blk/blue Spec 3/quaife/stage 2 shafts T3/T4 fully built 3.0 ported heads water injec./intercooled 13.2 @ 107 mph clifford alarm and turbo timer koni struts H&R springs intercooler for sale
#1601370 08/30/06 08:16 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I know that I did apply sealant to all the seams. It doesn't appear that its leaking from the crank seal, but its difficult to seebehind the damper to tell if anything is running out from there. I know I put a good amount of sealant on the seams on the heads (all 6 places) and on the block.front cover where the oil pan mates up. I think I'm gonna take off the UIM and valve covers and make sure the inside (where the LIM is) seals are in good and possibly put a small bead of sealant on the gasket. The power steering pump looks wet all over so maybe it it was leaking down inside there from the valve covers.

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
#1601371 08/30/06 10:38 PM
B
bradSVT Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I also did remember to put all the sealants on the correct places. The power steering fluid has a distinct smell and I do not smell that. My oil is still very clear and the stuff dripping out of my car tastes like oil. My dipstick read max then 1000 miles later it now says min. Not sure still where it could be leaking but I feel like it has to be somewhere high up to hit the belts and spray places that you wouldnâ??t think a lower leak could get too. If I had a lift I am sure it would be a lot easier to tell.

3L process done
#1601372 08/30/06 10:52 PM
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by bradSVT:
I also did remember to put all the sealants on the correct places. The power steering fluid has a distinct smell and I do not smell that. My oil is still very clear and the stuff dripping out of my car tastes like oil. My dipstick read max then 1000 miles later it now says min. Not sure still where it could be leaking but I feel like it has to be somewhere high up to hit the belts and spray places that you wouldnâ??t think a lower leak could get too. If I had a lift I am sure it would be a lot easier to tell.

Pull a few of your Plug wires out and check for oil on the ends of the wires. Secondly, Start the car and have friend give the car some accelerator pedal while you watch the oil filter. Look for oil around the oil filter o-ring area and also inspect your filter for pinholes...I spent a week looking for an oil leak that ended up being a small ding from a rock or something, in my oil filter. It sprayed oil all over the engine bay. I felt like an ass clown.

CSVT E0 3L 14.5 @ 94mph, Stock Intake, Stock Exhaust minus Resonator, CEL, And Broken Pass. Side CV...Untuned.
#1601373 08/30/06 11:08 PM
B
bradSVT Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Originally posted by bradSVT:

Pull a few of your Plug wires out and check for oil on the ends of the wires. Secondly, Start the car and have friend give the car some accelerator pedal while you watch the oil filter. Look for oil around the oil filter o-ring area and also inspect your filter for pinholes...I spent a week looking for an oil leak that ended up being a small ding from a rock or something, in my oil filter. It sprayed oil all over the engine bay. I felt like an ass clown.

I thought it could be the oil filter but there is no oil around it and it would be very weird for oil to get from the oil filter to the flex pipe on my exhaust.

3L process done
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard