Next Thread
Print Thread
#1597362 06/23/06 09:53 PM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I had my tranny fluid replaced about 2 months ago with Royal Purple and this week I noticed a oil leak coming from the tranny side of the engine. I brought it into the garage and they cleaned the case off (it was covered in oil and road grime). They couldn't tell exactly where the leak was coming from but one of the ideas we tossed around was that the tranny was overfull. The other was one of the seals on the side of the tranny facing the drivers side wheel was shot.

When the drain plug was opened tranny fluid started coming out. It was only room temperature (I could put my finger in the stream of fluid).

Any ideas? Could overfilling the tranny really cause a small leak? Any other suspects for where the leak is coming from?

P.S Trans was totally rebuilt less than 2 years ago

Last edited by Bridge; 06/23/06 09:54 PM.

CSVT Feels Like Heaven Goes Like Hell Profile
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
It might cause a leak due to to much pressure inside of the gearbox... But im only guessing with that...

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Let the excess out, clean things up, and see what develops. It is possible. When I had three quarts in mine I noticed some slight seepage. It went away when I removed the excess.

If you "fill to spill" with the car level, that is without the front end on ramps, you should be fine on the level.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢ :
to much pressure inside of the gearbox

Is that possible since the transaxle has a vent on it? I would think the excess oil would bleed through there rather then blow out a seal. There would be a lot less resistance to blow out the vent. Just my two cents.

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by CSVT#49:
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢ :
to much pressure inside of the gearbox

Is that possible since the transaxle has a vent on it? I would think the excess oil would bleed through there rather then blow out a seal. There would be a lot less resistance to blow out the vent. Just my two cents.

Thats what the shop was saying.... either theres too much in there and its blowing out the vent, or the seal is gone. Either way they cleaned the case up and I'm going back on Monday so we can see where the leak is coming from.

CSVT Feels Like Heaven Goes Like Hell Profile
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Make sure that you open the fill port with the car level to allow the excess fluid fluid out. That may solve your problem. It did for me, but then all I had was seepage.

R
R
I took mine in and had the same problem...the shop couldn't find the leak. They could see the trails of a leak, but so far cannot find it. I still wonder if it is overfilling. Also, I noticed you really need to push down on the dipstick to get it to seat all the way.

'96 Contour 4-dr 2.5L V6 Auto
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by RaiderNick:
I took mine in and had the same problem...the shop couldn't find the leak. They could see the trails of a leak, but so far cannot find it. I still wonder if it is overfilling. Also, I noticed you really need to push down on the dipstick to get it to seat all the way.

This thread was started about an SVT. An SVT only has a manual trans. No dipstick.

Sometimes it is hard to find a leak from one or both of the axle seals.

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard