Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by JEDsContour:
Originally posted by SableSal:
Originally posted by JEDsContour:
Do you have a V6? The 2.5L's are notorious for water pump deterioration. Relatively cheap and easy fix ââ?¬â?? if nothing else damaged.

Another more ominous possibility is cylinder leakage (exhaust) into the water jacket. This would be very bad news as it would indicate a bad head gasket (at best). Similar result to what you describe: coolant forced out of block under exhaust pressure into the radiator and overflow tank.

A compression test might reveal it.

Try replacing the waterpump first

Ouch, don't scare me!

You think water pump eh? Hmm... Coolant is getting forced back into the tank.

Hmm, I may try that. But there are no signs of water pump failure. Is this common?

Sal

Yes I think water pump. The plastic impellor comes loose from the shaft. No leakage, bearing is still good, no water is pumped.

Localized boiling in the engine will produce enough vapor to force out coolant.

Change the water pump. Simple job.

P.S. Why did you post this in 3.0L Duratec?

Don't forget that it is only the OLD contour plastic impeller pumps that would go without warning.

The new pumps with the white impeller are pretty reliable now.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
LOL, Sorry... It's cause I own a Sable and it's a 3L

Thanks for the info on the pump! On the aftermarkets, is this problem corrected? Or is it usually same as factory.

Sal

What year is your Sable anyway? These WP impeller failures are only really specific to the early Contours with the black plastic impeller. The later white ones lasted much longer and would be what you should have if you have a 2001 or newer. If you have an older 3L, then none of this speculation even applies other than the symtoms could still point to a bad pump of different design.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by bnoon:
LOL, Sorry... It's cause I own a Sable and it's a 3L

Thanks for the info on the pump! On the aftermarkets, is this problem corrected? Or is it usually same as factory.

Sal

What year is your Sable anyway? These WP impeller failures are only really specific to the early Contours with the black plastic impeller. The later white ones lasted much longer and would be what you should have if you have a 2001 or newer. If you have an older 3L, then none of this speculation even applies other than the symtoms could still point to a bad pump of different design.

+1

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
In a previous post he asked about 96-99 so he might have a black impellar. Don't know if the WP's were different on those engines. Might have lasted longer than a Tour due to not as high of RPM's with the ATX. Either way sounds like a caput pump.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by todras:
In a previous post he asked about 96-99 so he might have a black impellar. Don't know if the WP's were different on those engines. Might have lasted longer than a Tour due to not as high of RPM's with the ATX. Either way sounds like a caput pump.

2000 duratec isn't cam driven, but it sounds toasted regardless.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
96-99 used the big, old fashioned waterpump mounted around where the AC is on the contour duratec.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by todras:
A GMB metal one. Go here and get it.

GMB Water pump

or go to Napa and get a Dura pro. The older Ford pumps with the black impellars are the ones with issue. Not sure if this was an issue on your car. If it's ealier than 99 they might have used the same material. Look for black pieces in the resevoir.

I have a Dura Pro. Im going with that.
Thanks a million. BTW I own a 98. So most likely has the same issue.

Thanks again!

Sal

SHOCal Advisor / Midwest Duratec Co-Owner [img]http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/260278/original/CrackerBarrel.jpg[/img]
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Took her apart... It's the Water Pump. Impellor made of plastic.

Sal

SHOCal Advisor / Midwest Duratec Co-Owner [img]http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/260278/original/CrackerBarrel.jpg[/img]
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Took her apart... It's the Water Pump. Impellor made of plastic.

Sal

Crazy. Mine is made of pure gooooooooold.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard