Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1595404 06/21/06 05:40 PM
Z
OP Offline
Z
Hi everyone,
A week ago I had switched back to my stock 215/50/17 tires from running my snow 205/60/15 tires.. and after the switch I noticed a steering twitch developed and got worse at higher speeds 65mph to 80mph. I would have to make constant adjustments as I drove. after two days of that I took the tires off and found a bent rim thinking that might be the problem I switched it out and put a rear to the front and a 15 on the rear until I got the rim fixed.. Well the problem didn't go a way.. so then under acceleration "Merging" I heard a snapping noise and now under acceleration there is a grinding noise.. Now with the clutch pushed in and coasting there is no noise. Here I'm thinking it's an inner CV joint. Then I found another bent rim.. so to get it to the dealer I put a 15 inch on to get it 3/4 of a mile to the dealer. So before I post what the dealer told me I was wondering if anyone has experiencec this problem or have any idea what it might be.. I have 165,000 miles on my car with the original clutch and nothing major replaced except for fuel pumps..

Thanks for the help

Last edited by ZnCougar3; 06/21/06 06:17 PM.
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
I'm Not Sure If The Bent Rims Are Directly Related Or Not...Yet.
Jack The Vehicle Up And See If The REar Motor Mount Is Broken. If It Is, It Will Allow the Drive Axles To Sit Down And Grind On The Sub Frame. I'm Assumin That there Is No Noise At Idle...Is This Correct? No Noise When Sitting Still...Correct? You May Also Have Bent Or Broken The Intermediate Driveshaft Bracket, Which Is Located Above The Exhaust Y-Pipe And Attached To the Block. If This Is Broken, Then It Will cause The Same Symptoms. I Suppose I Should Ask For A Little More Info As To The Make, Model, Engine Of The Car. That Will Make A Little Difference. Obviously Its A Manual Though.

Now Then, Have You Ran Over Any Severe Potholes Lately??Curbs?? Let A Friend Borrow Your Car?? I Suppose That The Mount Could Have Broke When A Situation Like This Occurred As Well As the Bolts Holding The Shaft Bracket Getting Bent And Or Broken...
Give It A Look And Let Us Know Here What You See....

And Welcome..

CSVT E0 3L 14.5 @ 94mph, Stock Intake, Stock Exhaust minus Resonator, CEL, And Broken Pass. Side CV...Untuned.
Z
OP Offline
Z
Oh yeah that would help I have a 2001 Mercury Cougar 2.5v6 Well first off I didn't notice anything funny until the car would get squirrley all over the road as you went faster the front end would shift all over the place.. I was thinking it was a bent rim. I bent the 2 left side rims last year and have been running fine on 205/60/15 snow tires since December.

I heard a crunching noise when I was leaving a stop light.. I wasn't punching it.. but took off pretty good and from there on under load it would make that noise.. except when making a turn I've never heard the noise.. I have only driven the car 3/4 of a mile to the dealership.

They told me I toasted the diffrential.. because I ran mis matched tires.. I told them they were crazy and the symptoms were there prior to me driving 3/4 of a mile to them. Got a good laugh out of this.. They also tried telling me I shouldn't be running on 205/60/15 cause that can ruin it.. I said.. you'd better look on that door because that is the stock tire size and I ran 4 tires all the same.. OH did I mention they wanted 4800.00 to replace the trans. LOL

I'm towing the car out of that joke of a dealer and taking it to a buddys place who has a lift.. I will check on those things you mentioned in your post on Monday. It's just weird and I've never experienced this type of problem. Other than fuel pumps the car has been very good to me.

Oh No potholes lately.. No one drives the car except me. Nothing I could see that would do any damage to the mounts or drivetrain. just my normal 110 mile everyday drive.

Thanks for the welcome and your help..

Last edited by ZnCougar3; 06/21/06 10:58 PM.
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I'm Not Sure If The Bent Rims Are Directly Related Or Not...Yet.
Jack The Vehicle Up And See If The REar Motor Mount Is Broken. If It Is, It Will Allow the Drive Axles To Sit Down And Grind On The Sub Frame. I'm Assumin That there Is No Noise At Idle...Is This Correct? No Noise When Sitting Still...Correct? You May Also Have Bent Or Broken The Intermediate Driveshaft Bracket, Which Is Located Above The Exhaust Y-Pipe And Attached To the Block. If This Is Broken, Then It Will cause The Same Symptoms. I Suppose I Should Ask For A Little More Info As To The Make, Model, Engine Of The Car. That Will Make A Little Difference. Obviously Its A Manual Though.

Now Then, Have You Ran Over Any Severe Potholes Lately??Curbs?? Let A Friend Borrow Your Car?? I Suppose That The Mount Could Have Broke When A Situation Like This Occurred As Well As the Bolts Holding The Shaft Bracket Getting Bent And Or Broken...
Give It A Look And Let Us Know Here What You See....

And Welcome..

You cannot type! I want to seriously farking hurt you! As for your car kiddo...take some pics of it on a lift and I'll tell u what is wrong with it.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
Z
OP Offline
Z
Do you want a picture of the whole front end or around the transmission? I should be able to get my car up on the lift on Monday. Unless I can find a picture of the same car on the Cougar forums.

P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:

You cannot type! I want to seriously farking hurt you! As for your car kiddo...take some pics of it on a lift and I'll tell u what is wrong with it.

I Can Too Type!!!

I've Always Wondered MAP, Where Is The E.L.????

CSVT E0 3L 14.5 @ 94mph, Stock Intake, Stock Exhaust minus Resonator, CEL, And Broken Pass. Side CV...Untuned.
T
I have no life
I have no life
T

Elongated labia.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by ZnCougar3:
Well first off I didn't notice anything funny until the car would get squirrley all over the road as you went faster the front end would shift all over the place.. I heard a crunching noise when I was leaving a stop light.. I wasn't punching it.. but took off pretty good and from there on under load it would make that noise.. except when making a turn I've never heard the noise..

........the symptom you described, "car would get squirrely all over upon acceleration"....sounds like when my cv joint went bad on the drivers side. i couldn't go above 35 mph b/c the car wouldn't stay in the lane. i have one of the bearings to prove it paid $60 for a new cv shaft, and it was solved. let us know before you go spend 193847 dollars!!!

*~Bonnie~* 2000 CSVT, Amazon Green, built 2/?/00 135K and counting!!!!
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
CSVT, because like an orphan, someone has to take care of them.

P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by todras:

Elongated labia.

Ahhhh...I Know Her.

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard