Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
im planning to change the atx fluid but once i get up there should i change it again cause im gonna hit some long hills. this is a 4x8 trailer u get at harbor freight. im loading a lawn mower tractor and some tools on it im tryin not to go heavy. i hope my atx will not over heat. any advise?

1999 Ford Contour SE Zetec with 137k miles. AIM Name: ContourAlf Yahoo IM: Contour_Freak
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
id put an aftermarket cooler on it and wouldnt worry about it after that. you should be fine. those coolers make a world of a difference. my F150 trans would overheat towing a car on a full size trailer. before i purchased my boat 350mi away (weighs about 8K+ lbs on the trailer) i put a HUGE cooler on it and it stays ICE cold now

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
don't break the 1000 lb tow limit that it states in the owners manual and you should be ok, changing the fluid is a good anyway, towing or now .... if you really have fear either get a real tow vehicle or install and trans cooler, which is also higly advised for a atx ....

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Also take it out of O/D before starting on the hilly trip.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
F
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
F
Based on the fact that these transmissions are prone to heat failure without towing anything, are you sure you want to risk it?

If you answered yes to the above question, I woudl for sure put a decent sized tranny cooler on your car first. Piece of cake to install, and you can never cool a transmission too much. Heat kills them, ideally 160-180 is the ideal trans temp.

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard