B
This is NUTS!!!!!!!!

Price Difference

CSVT Feels Like Heaven Goes Like Hell Profile
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I can't believe a Trix is $4,000 less in the States! thats highway robbery!

that sucks..

98 Contour V6 MTX CTA Exhaust/CTA Intake/MSDS Y-pipe/Bat Handling Kit/Predator Alarm/Spec1 Clutch Kit/SVT Flywheel/G Assurances Fix your car yourself "It's not a UFO." Todras
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
This is not as big a deal as everyone is making of it. I remember when a Spec V was ~$18K in the States and ~$21.5K in Canada. At the time, it was a savings to buy in Canada.

Pricing, as the Toyota rep noted, is not based on exchange rates unless it hurts you (see the pricing of VWs right now as a case in point, or the price of the Japanese sports cars in the early 90s).

And gouging is not illegal. If it was, every flower shop in Canada would be shut down for it every February 15th. You are allowed to charge what the market will bear, which is exactly what they are doing.

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
But they are violating the free trade agreement by not selling to Canadians....... THATS illegal

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
They can sell to Canadians, however there are some stipulations from some manufacturers.

My car came from the US and I saved ~8k on it vs buying a new one from a dealer here. Hoever the stipulation was that if I wanted the factory warranty to transfer or an extended factory warranty the car has to have a certian amount of miles on it (can't recall the number) or be registered for 6months, whichever comes first. Luckily my car was almost exactly 6months old when it was registered in/imported into Canada.

Then: 99 Silver Frost SVT #1919 237hp/219tq All Motor Now: 06 White STI Parts 4 sale
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by timeless420:
They can sell to Canadians, however there are some stipulations from some manufacturers.

Yeah they can but:

Originally posted by The Star.com:

While it's not illegal to cross-border shop for a new vehicle â?? this is supposed to be a free-trade environment, after all â?? some manufacturers have attempted to quash the trend by voiding warranties and threatening dealers with legal action.

The Buffalo-area dealers we sampled ran the gamut from stern refusal to deal with Canadians â?? one Chevrolet dealer recited a memo from GM stipulating they are not to sell to Canadians â?? to tacit approval of the practice.

Sounds like free trade to me!

G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
you just gotta go shopping with your bestest American friend and then change ownership!

-------------------- 1999 Black/Tan CSVT #2658 of 2760 201,000+km - K&N, Magnecor race wires, Optima red top, BAT Euro Kit, KVR CF pads, PIAA Plasma Ion bulbs. 1989 Yamaha FZR600 - 40,000+km - K&N Pods, Stage 3 Jets, V&H 4-1 exhaust
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by gooserex:
you just gotta go shopping with your bestest American friend and then change ownership!

That still won't get you around the stipulations some MFG's have in order to keep your warranty

Then: 99 Silver Frost SVT #1919 237hp/219tq All Motor Now: 06 White STI Parts 4 sale
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
It goes both ways as well. When they couldn't build enough Mustangs for the US market, they told Canadian dealers not to sell to Americans.

Do I like it? No. But that's the way it is right now....

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
Interesting... what are Fords qualifications to determine not to sell to canadians? In Fort Erie where i'm from lots of people have dual citizenship. So someone who was legally an American citizen could not buy a car and bring it back to Canada?

Likewise, what if you registered for an american PO box etc and used that for all documentation?

Just a few thoughts...

2002 BMW M5 Carbon Black on Black 1998 Frost Silver SVT E0 17" Masitaly rims with Bridgestone Fuzion ZRi rubber. 133,000km 1996 Silver Ford Taurus SHO ATX 180,000km - SOLD! 1996 Midnight Red SE MTX 295,000km and a little squeeky.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gerald_dup1, mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard