Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
So those of you who might remember my winter drama of my coilovers lock screws seizing Im finaly fixing them. They were so bad we went full psi on them and hex screws heads did one of 2 things, broke off cleanly or instantly stripped the hex pattern.

So, I love the set it worked well until the winter driving killed them. I actually called up ground control's techline for hints and they were telling me its a common prob on all of their products and the only fix is to buy new sleaves.... So it isnt just ebay

So I just got my new kit in and it's the gen 2 of the ebay kits. The materials all around were upgraded and they fixed something that bugged. The rears would always have top be set much higher than the fronts. So with the new springs they match ALOT easier, since the sleaves and springs are now (larger sleave shorter spring in the front) and the opposite for the back. The combo works ALOT better than the old same size gear with the old kit.

I'll have some pics up tomorrow.

Here's the kit BTW:

Last edited by djdanyloz; 06/20/06 02:15 PM.
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Did you use any anti-sieze on the bolts?

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by GTO Pete:

X twelvty milliondy

CSVT E0 3L 14.5 @ 94mph, Stock Intake, Stock Exhaust minus Resonator, CEL, And Broken Pass. Side CV...Untuned.
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D

Ask Stazi he put on goobs of the stuff as did I

G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Originally posted by djdanyloz:

Wow, after one winter with anti-sieze they siezed up that badly?

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Musta been one helluva winter! Or mistaken thread-locker for anit-sieze.

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by djdanyloz:

Wow, after one winter with anti-sieze they siezed up that badly?

We got 1 off, the others were ruined. The onewe got off pretty much ate the threads from inside the sleave thus it came out..

The screws threads were completely covered in a white residue that was on their solid. It would barely pick away when moistened and a nail taken to it..

J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Galvanic Corrosion? Threaded parts made of dissimilar metals often display the type of severe corrosion you describe. Few ways to prevent it. Avoidance of this problem should frankly be part of every design process.

Aluminum in contact with steel can form a galvanic cell with accelerated corrosion.

Ant-seize helps I suppose, but any small regions that are in contact would see a greatly accelerated attack concentrated at that region.

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
i've never put antiseize on my gcs and never had a problem even with new england winters. its not a bad idea though

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard